Why don't I have notification sounds for texts when the Messages app is open?

A

AC Question

No notification sound for texts when Messages app is open

I'm running lollipop on a Note 4 and I use the stock "Messages" app got texting. I've recently noticed when I am in a texting conversation window and receive a text in that conversation, my text notification sound does not go off. Any thoughts/known fixes? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: No notification sound for texts when Messages app is open

Welcome to Android Central! I've always found this to be normal behavior, the rationale being that if you're looking at the actual text conversation, you presumably already know that a new message arrived.

Queezle717

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, thanks. Is there a way to get it to sound even if this is the case? It's rather annoying to set my phone down, then receive a text and not realize it. This is new on the Note 4 compared to the S3 which always sounded regardless of if you were looking at the conversation or not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I wouldn't be able to answer that definitively. Hopefully someone else with a Note 4 can chime in about this.

giselle lovesny

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I just got this phone this week and noticed the same thing - I've been trying to find a setting to change or something but no luck. It's also new to me and I just upgraded my Note 2 (which I loved to death) to the Note 4.

This is going to **** me off more than anything because every time I send a text I have to back out of the conversation before I put my phone down since I don't have time to sit there and stare at my phone waiting for a response (apparently the rest of the world does this and doesn't see anything wrong with it?? :eek:)

Why would they make technology waste your time when one of its biggest advantages is to save time? I need my notifications back!!! Please post if you've found a workaround, I'd appreciate it immensely.

:(

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone this week and noticed the same thing - I've been trying to find a setting to change or something but no luck. It's also new to me and I just upgraded my Note 2 (which I loved to death) to the Note 4.

This is going to **** me off more than anything because every time I send a text I have to back out of the conversation before I put my phone down since I don't have time to sit there and stare at my phone waiting for a response (apparently the rest of the world does this and doesn't see anything wrong with it?? :eek:)

Why would they make technology waste your time when one of its biggest advantages is to save time? I need my notifications back!!! Please post if you've found a workaround, I'd appreciate it immensely.

:(

+1....This sucks! :mad:

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Does it have something to do with the texting app? I noticed when I used the textra app that when the app was open the alert would not go off, but when I use the go sms app it does.

Posted via the Android Central App