04-10-2015 04:46 PM
51 123
tools
    What about your contacts and the like?

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    Can't speak for the person you are responding to, but I've been using Android phones so long that I refuse to enter contacts anywhere but in Google, where they are synced to whatever phone or Android device I happen to be carrying. On a few phones, like my HTC Thunderbolt, that meant going onto the Google web site and maintaining my contact information there (anything entered into HTC-Sense at that point remained ONLY in HTC-Sense). The Note 4 seems to sync with Google just fine.

What I get to keep:
    - All my email (because it's all gmail or company email using TouchDown - no "only local) copies of anything)
    - All my pictures, as long as G+ picture backup is running (some like DropBox or similar - whatever floats your boat)
    - All data in all apps that I have to log into or save data to my Google profile.
    - Favorites and passwords and stuff in Chrome because that is backed up to Google.
    - My home screen setups (because I use Nova Prime and back up my homescreen config to Google Drive)
    - All documents I edit, because they are all on Drive.

What I can get back:
    - Reinstall all apps from the Play Store - a bit of a pain but not fatal.
    - Re-log in to any apps that require an individual login. Again, bit of a pain, but there are only 4-5 of them.
    - Cached music from Google Play Music - easy to get back.

What I lose:
    - Stuff in my downloads folder unless I back it up somewhere. I never keep anything important there anyway. If it's important, I share it up to Drive or email it to myself.
    - Progress/saved data/settings in any apps that only stores data locally. For me, not a lot of that.
    - Text messages in my sent and received text message folders.

Your mileage may vary, but my phone is back to "normal" in an hour or two - honestly, less time than I'd spend mucking about with backing up stuff, rooting, restoring it, unrooting, and running the risk that one of the settings I am restoring or some dumb thing I did as SU becomes a problem later on.
    SteelGator and Bobby Stockert like this.
    04-02-2015 03:18 PM
    What about your contacts and the like?

My contacts are all synced with Google, so as long as I can sign in with Google, they are there. Transferred without issue when I moved from the Nexus to the Maxx to the Note 4 too.
    04-02-2015 05:13 PM
    Can't speak for the person you are responding to, but I've been using Android phones so long that I refuse to enter contacts anywhere but in Google, where they are synced to whatever phone or Android device I happen to be carrying. On a few phones, like my HTC Thunderbolt, that meant going onto the Google web site and maintaining my contact information there (anything entered into HTC-Sense at that point remained ONLY in HTC-Sense). The Note 4 seems to sync with Google just fine.

{snipped for brevity}
    +1.

This is my exact experience. I forgot that I have to re-pin music.

If any of these were that fatal, I would use the SD card or the SD partition.
    04-02-2015 05:16 PM
    A factory reset helped my Note too. I was hesitant to do it but now that it's done I'm glad I did it. I'm getting much better battery life!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-02-2015 06:45 PM
    Totally ridiculous that we have to reset with each update with an android phone. Still, if I reset will it effect the Google play music I have downloaded to the external sd card? I'm going to reset as well as my phone now over heats, is choppy, terrible battery......

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 07:49 PM
    What is the best method for factory reset? I'm having issues after after update. Side panel keeps popping up and blocking mode doesn't allow phone calls other from my favorite (scheduling is off). And runs hot.....cleared cache and really didn't help.

04-02-2015 09:08 PM
    I updated to Lollipop this morning and haven't needed to do a factory reset. I did clear the cache partition though. Everything looking good so far.

Same here. No issues at all.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    04-02-2015 09:26 PM
    My battery life was awful after the update so I also finally broke down and did a factory reset (I tried clearing the cache first but it didn't help). Now the battery life is at least as good as before.
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-02-2015 09:34 PM
    girlfriend picked up a tmobile note 4 today that is still running 4.4.4 and I tried to update and it came back as up to date. do I use kies? my att note 3 update to 5.0 with no issues,
    04-02-2015 09:46 PM
    My contacts are all synced with Google, so as long as I can sign in with Google, they are there. Transferred without issue when I moved from the Nexus to the Maxx to the Note 4 too.
    Ok. Might have to start doing this myself. I rely on my irregular backups on Kies to save my contacts and my S5 mini.

04-03-2015 01:55 AM
    girlfriend picked up a tmobile note 4 today that is still running 4.4.4 and I tried to update and it came back as up to date. do I use kies? my att note 3 update to 5.0 with no issues,
    Depends when the carrier is going to submit an update for their Note4's.

04-03-2015 01:57 AM
    He just needed an excuse to do what he wanted to do.

04-03-2015 07:23 PM
    I'm not trying to be negative but I've done 2 resets already and my Note still has issues. I'm on ATT as well and I haven't loaded a backup after reset.
    My biggest issue is battery life, before the lollipop update I'd easily get through the day until 11 at night and still have 20% left or so. Now I can't get through a day without having to get a power up.
    I've been having the GPS issues and Missing phone calls which being in real estate is not a good thing.
    I'm also having problems with apps just randomly crashing or freezing. I've contacted the developers but keep hearing we're working on it.
    Guess I'll do a third reset today when I get home from the beach and just throw my Sim in a backup phone for a few days.

04-04-2015 09:47 AM
    I'm not trying to be negative but I've done 2 resets already and my Note still has issues. I'm on ATT as well and I haven't loaded a backup after reset.
    My biggest issue is battery life, before the lollipop update I'd easily get through the day until 11 at night and still have 20% left or so. Now I can't get through a day without having to get a power up.
    I've been having the GPS issues and Missing phone calls which being in real estate is not a good thing.
    I'm also having problems with apps just randomly crashing or freezing. I've contacted the developers but keep hearing we're working on it.
    Guess I'll do a third reset today when I get home from the beach and just throw my Sim in a backup phone for a few days.

I'm having no issues whatsoever. And I did not do a factory reset.
    But I also do not have apps that are crashing. Maybe the apps that are crashing are what's causing your problems. You might try uninstalling the crashing apps to see if the phone starts acting better.
    04-04-2015 10:57 AM
    I'm having no issues whatsoever. And I did not do a factory reset.
    But I also do not have apps that are crashing. Maybe the apps that are crashing are what's causing your problems. You might try uninstalling the crashing apps to see if the phone starts acting better.
    Thanks I'll give that a try.
    04-05-2015 04:49 PM
    I waited 48 hours and then decided to do the factory reset. Battery is doing much better now.

04-05-2015 08:43 PM
    On Verizon. I lost only keyboard and wallpaper

04-05-2015 09:57 PM
    I did not even give myself the chance to consider not doing a factory reset after the lollipop upgrade... Because I knew if I did, I would try to talk myself out of it, and be annoyed. do the reset... Be done with it. Love your phone!

skatergirl likes this.
    04-07-2015 10:49 AM
    Yes ... Love your phone!

Now that the reset has been done and things are settling down, I did a stand by test this morning. The phone is using no more and maybe less than 1 percent per hour on standby with wifi, bluetooth and locations turned on. I find this fair and a sign the phone is healthy. Today I will use it as normal. I am sure I will get a full day out of the battery again.
    04-07-2015 11:09 AM
    i have a feeling you have apps that are draining your battery and not working with Lollipop. For me the Lollipop upgrade was great i didn't have any problems at all so i'm pretty happy. I still get roughly about 2 days of use before i charge my battery which is what i was getting with KitKat. I would go through your apps to see what maybe the culprit.
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-08-2015 10:03 AM
    Turn phone off.

Press and hold the home key.

Press and hold the up volume button.

Press the power button.

On that menu yet get use the volume keys to scroll down to the cache partition wipe and then press the power button.

It'll take a second to wipe the partition.

Eject the reboot option and away you go.

That should do it.

04-09-2015 12:55 PM
    does it delete photos and video after cache partition wipe?
    04-09-2015 12:57 PM
    does it delete photos and video after cache partition wipe?
    No. It just deletes temporary files such as instalation files and the like. Files you wouldn't miss.

04-09-2015 04:03 PM
    To be honest I'm not too hot about the latest update. Dolphin seems to crash more often than before. However the biggest culprit right after updating was silence. Very sad that the update broke the app. But anyways if I had a toggle scheduled it was casuing a ton of issues. I just deleted the app and redownloaded it, no more problems. (Toggles still don't work, I can't even set one up, but just waiting for a hopeful update)

I'd do a factory reset but goddam the number 1 thing I hate the most on android compared to ios devices is having to disable all those services. I probably have over 30 things to disable and it's a huge inconvenience to do that after a reset or everytime I buy a new android phone. Is there a way to speed it up without root?
    04-10-2015 09:17 AM
    Your mileage may vary, but my phone is back to "normal" in an hour or two - honestly, less time than I'd spend mucking about with backing up stuff, rooting, restoring it, unrooting, and running the risk that one of the settings I am restoring or some dumb thing I did as SU becomes a problem later on.
    Personally, the time to backup/restore an embedded device is RIDICULOUS and does cause me to hesitate to factory reset. That said, I used Nandroid and/or Titanium Backup on my G'nex and that was fairly painless. So much so that I will probably never purchase another non-root device again.
    04-10-2015 04:40 PM
51 123