Factory data reset helped after lollipop update

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: I have to admit...factory data reset helped after lollipop update

Doesn't go back to kitkat. Removes all installed programs that you have downloaded. Removes videos and pictures you have taken stored on the phone. SD card stuff is unaffected. Removes contacts.

Do a backup of your stuff on Kies before the reset and then restore it back.

Posted via the Android Central App

I might have to wait a bit before I do a restore. Kies keeps crashing when I try to back up. I think it needs an update to be compatible with Yosemite on Mac.

AmBieMZ

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Try BOC5. I installed BOC3 earlier and although it was really fast but device would get hot if I user it for extended periods and hence battery took a hit. This BOC5 is alot better.. been on it for almost 4 hrs and didn't feel it getting hot.. battery life is better but I guess I wud find out for sure after a full days use

Posted via Note 4

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
How do you do that?

Turn phone off.

Press and hold the home key.

Press and hold the up volume button.

Press the power button.

On that menu yet get use the volume keys to scroll down to the cache partition wipe and then press the power button.

It'll take a second to wipe the partition.

Eject the reboot option and away you go.

That should do it.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

All of my stuff is in the cloud. All my pics are up on Google, most are in dropbox as well. Same with contacts and e-mail.

After a factory reset, the only pain point I have is waiting for the play store to re-store all my apps and then I have to redo my home screens. Sometimes I take screen shots so I can get them all back just the way I had them, other times I rebuild as I go. My app usage patterns change over time, so it ends up being a nice way to reset my screens to most used apps. I know this isn't true for everybody, but it is the silver lining in my FDR cloud.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

All of my stuff is in the cloud. All my pics are up on Google, most are in dropbox as well. Same with contacts and e-mail.

After a factory reset, the only pain point I have is waiting for the play store to re-store all my apps and then I have to redo my home screens. Sometimes I take screen shots so I can get them all back just the way I had them, other times I rebuild as I go. My app usage patterns change over time, so it ends up being a nice way to reset my screens to most used apps. I know this isn't true for everybody, but it is the silver lining in my FDR cloud.

What about your contacts and the like?

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Can't speak for the person you are responding to, but I've been using Android phones so long that I refuse to enter contacts anywhere but in Google, where they are synced to whatever phone or Android device I happen to be carrying. On a few phones, like my HTC Thunderbolt, that meant going onto the Google web site and maintaining my contact information there (anything entered into HTC-Sense at that point remained ONLY in HTC-Sense). The Note 4 seems to sync with Google just fine.

What I get to keep:
- All my email (because it's all gmail or company email using TouchDown - no "only local) copies of anything)
- All my pictures, as long as G+ picture backup is running (some like DropBox or similar - whatever floats your boat)
- All data in all apps that I have to log into or save data to my Google profile.
- Favorites and passwords and stuff in Chrome because that is backed up to Google.
- My home screen setups (because I use Nova Prime and back up my homescreen config to Google Drive)
- All documents I edit, because they are all on Drive.

What I can get back:
- Reinstall all apps from the Play Store - a bit of a pain but not fatal.
- Re-log in to any apps that require an individual login. Again, bit of a pain, but there are only 4-5 of them.
- Cached music from Google Play Music - easy to get back.

What I lose:
- Stuff in my downloads folder unless I back it up somewhere. I never keep anything important there anyway. If it's important, I share it up to Drive or email it to myself.
- Progress/saved data/settings in any apps that only stores data locally. For me, not a lot of that.
- Text messages in my sent and received text message folders.

Your mileage may vary, but my phone is back to "normal" in an hour or two - honestly, less time than I'd spend mucking about with backing up stuff, rooting, restoring it, unrooting, and running the risk that one of the settings I am restoring or some dumb thing I did as SU becomes a problem later on. :)

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

My contacts are all synced with Google, so as long as I can sign in with Google, they are there. Transferred without issue when I moved from the Nexus to the Maxx to the Note 4 too.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Can't speak for the person you are responding to, but I've been using Android phones so long that I refuse to enter contacts anywhere but in Google, where they are synced to whatever phone or Android device I happen to be carrying. On a few phones, like my HTC Thunderbolt, that meant going onto the Google web site and maintaining my contact information there (anything entered into HTC-Sense at that point remained ONLY in HTC-Sense). The Note 4 seems to sync with Google just fine.

{snipped for brevity}

+1.

This is my exact experience. I forgot that I have to re-pin music.

If any of these were that fatal, I would use the SD card or the SD partition.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

A factory reset helped my Note too. I was hesitant to do it but now that it's done I'm glad I did it. I'm getting much better battery life!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Totally ridiculous that we have to reset with each update with an android phone. Still, if I reset will it effect the Google play music I have downloaded to the external sd card? I'm going to reset as well as my phone now over heats, is choppy, terrible battery......

wasjr80

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
What is the best method for factory reset? I'm having issues after after update. Side panel keeps popping up and blocking mode doesn't allow phone calls other from my favorite (scheduling is off). And runs hot.....cleared cache and really didn't help.

Last edited:

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I updated to Lollipop this morning and haven't needed to do a factory reset. I did clear the cache partition though. Everything looking good so far.

Same here. No issues at all.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

My battery life was awful after the update so I also finally broke down and did a factory reset (I tried clearing the cache first but it didn't help). Now the battery life is at least as good as before.

josney

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

girlfriend picked up a tmobile note 4 today that is still running 4.4.4 and I tried to update and it came back as up to date. do I use kies? my att note 3 update to 5.0 with no issues,

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My contacts are all synced with Google, so as long as I can sign in with Google, they are there. Transferred without issue when I moved from the Nexus to the Maxx to the Note 4 too.

Ok. Might have to start doing this myself. I rely on my irregular backups on Kies to save my contacts and my S5 mini.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

girlfriend picked up a tmobile note 4 today that is still running 4.4.4 and I tried to update and it came back as up to date. do I use kies? my att note 3 update to 5.0 with no issues,

Depends when the carrier is going to submit an update for their Note4's.

ELavar

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

He just needed an excuse to do what he wanted to do.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I'm not trying to be negative but I've done 2 resets already and my Note still has issues. I'm on ATT as well and I haven't loaded a backup after reset.
My biggest issue is battery life, before the lollipop update I'd easily get through the day until 11 at night and still have 20% left or so. Now I can't get through a day without having to get a power up.
I've been having the GPS issues and Missing phone calls which being in real estate is not a good thing.
I'm also having problems with apps just randomly crashing or freezing. I've contacted the developers but keep hearing we're working on it.
Guess I'll do a third reset today when I get home from the beach and just throw my Sim in a backup phone for a few days.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm not trying to be negative but I've done 2 resets already and my Note still has issues. I'm on ATT as well and I haven't loaded a backup after reset.
My biggest issue is battery life, before the lollipop update I'd easily get through the day until 11 at night and still have 20% left or so. Now I can't get through a day without having to get a power up.
I've been having the GPS issues and Missing phone calls which being in real estate is not a good thing.
I'm also having problems with apps just randomly crashing or freezing. I've contacted the developers but keep hearing we're working on it.
Guess I'll do a third reset today when I get home from the beach and just throw my Sim in a backup phone for a few days.

I'm having no issues whatsoever. And I did not do a factory reset.
But I also do not have apps that are crashing. Maybe the apps that are crashing are what's causing your problems. You might try uninstalling the crashing apps to see if the phone starts acting better.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I'm having no issues whatsoever. And I did not do a factory reset.
But I also do not have apps that are crashing. Maybe the apps that are crashing are what's causing your problems. You might try uninstalling the crashing apps to see if the phone starts acting better.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer