I've been shooting like a hundred or more pictures using the camera app that comes preinstalled in the phone;I have the camera save settings set to be saved the pictures to the sd card;what have been my surprise after few hours trek in the forest arrived home and went straight to gallery pictures in camera folder and all are black squares the pictures,but they use storage every picture like 4 to 5 megas each;so if every black square is 5 megas should be more data in every picture
    How would do if I go camera app and clear cache?
    I wanna recover the photos
    Any idea why happens this?
    Just 2 or 3 photos appear normal in the icon but when open are a black square also
    I don't know what to try
    Just throw away to the rubbish bin the sd card and buy new one?I have lots of problems with external sd card
    Before I were using it in a galaxy s4 and just did it well;it"s just when I changed to galaxy note 4 this problem
    Best regards

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 05:50 AM
    I've been shooting like a hundred or more pictures using the camera app that comes preinstalled in the phone;I have the camera save settings set to be saved the pictures to the sd card;what have been my surprise after few hours trek in the forest arrived home and went straight to gallery pictures in camera folder and all are black squares the pictures,but they use storage every picture like 4 to 5 megas each;so if every black square is 5 megas should be more data in every picture
    How would do if I go camera app and clear cache?
    I wanna recover the photos
    Any idea why happens this?
    Just 2 or 3 photos appear normal in the icon but when open are a black square also
    I don't know what to try
    Just throw away to the rubbish bin the sd card and buy new one?I have lots of problems with external sd card
    Before I were using it in a galaxy s4 and just did it well;it"s just when I changed to galaxy note 4 this problem
    Best regards

Have you tried moving the files to your PC? I no longer use SD Cards, I have all my photos set to auto backup to Google to ensure I do not lose them.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-02-2015 10:41 AM
    SD cards and Samsung seem to be a notoriously sketchy combination--many complaints on these forums about corrupt or lost files. Unmount your card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-sd-card.html
    04-02-2015 10:57 AM
    All the black squares are disappeared by now,so looks like all the photos are lost;they not appear anymore

04-02-2015 02:40 PM
    I would be cautious about using that card for any more storage. If you continue to prefer using the SD card in general, make sure you keep things backed up regularly to your computer or to the cloud.
    04-02-2015 03:21 PM
    Take the card out of the phone before anything more gets stored to it.

Download PhotoRec to your computer or laptop. (There are Linux, Mac and Windows versions.)

Put the SD card into an adapter and plug it into your computer.

Follow the instructions at PhotoRec Step By Step. (Ask here if you need clarification - it's not extremely user friendly unless you're familiar with the command line.)

If there's a picture on the card, even if the file structure of the card has been destroyed, or you formatted the card, PhotoRec will find the picture and save it to your hard drive (the drive of your choice when you're going through the setup). Unless the picture was never there, or another file got saved to the space the file was in, PhotoRec will get it back. The only negative (and it's a small one) is that you can't get back the file names - they're all of the form of f000001.something (depending on the file type).

The program is free - and open source -, and it works on any storage device the computer can see - even a Linux drive plugged into a Windows computer (Windows doesn't see it as a drive, but PhotoRec sees it as storage, so it works on it.)

Once you've run PhotoRec on the card, put the card back into the phone, install SD Insight in the phone, and run it. If the card says it was made in January 1970, or it says it's a much smaller card than the printing on the outside claims, you have a counterfeit card. (Not much you can do unless it's a SanDisk card - they're guaranteed for 10 years, and getting one replaced is as easy as filling out a form on their site.)
    B. Diddy and plumcrazy like this.
    04-02-2015 03:37 PM
    Thanks for all the replies,will try to do that Rukbat;but I don't have a microsd adapter;does it not work if I do instead just connect the phone via usb to my laptop?it appears there in devices in my laptop when conected.
    I tried to transfer any photo from device internal storage to microsd card storage and works just fine,I can see it perfectly in the sd card
    I tried also a camera app named camera zoom FX and tried to set storage directly any picture take to external sd card and gives me the message:"The folder is not writable,android kitkat prevents 3rd party apps from writting to external sdcard"
    So I thing the problem can be the preinstalled camera app that comes with the phone.
    I also can't transfer any app to sd card as then appears as uninstalled a minutes later after I transfered to the sd card
    Also any pictures I shoot are not automatically synchronized to google+ even I have the settings in google+ to do it;before with my old galaxy s4 they were synchroning but with galaxy note 4 not
    Thanks a lot for all the help
    Best
    Alex

04-02-2015 07:52 PM
    I just downloaded another camera app and when I set to save pictures to sd card it says a message that android 4.4 doesn't allow to write photos to sd card
    Anyone has this issue?Are all my problems with photos and sd card and apps not installing to sd card because of the android 4.4?
    Best
    Alex

04-02-2015 10:41 PM
    Apps in KitKat and above need to have specific SD permissions, and can only access directories they create or take ownership of. See more info here: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
    04-02-2015 11:18 PM
    Thanks B.Diddy
    But the preinstalled camera on Galaxy Note 4 yes can be saved to external sd?as it was set like that when I shot around 100 pics yesterday and after 2 hours all pics were just black squares but occupying minimum 5 megas per black square when checked properties and they were jpg.
    After arrived home and had accesd to wifi then some pics taken with other camera app in same phone synchronized to flicker but the black images it din't synchronize at all;I were expecting they would have synchronized so I could recover then even all black as still each was a 4 or 5 megas;but they all disappeared;where could them have gone?are them maybe in some file in the sd card in android file?there is a file named android inside as card with lots of other files inside
    Best
    Alex

04-03-2015 12:11 AM
    I am trying to use photorec but I am lost on how to do it even I follow step by step guide
    How to do it
    Best

04-03-2015 02:26 AM
    I realized a new thing now is that all pictures saved or transfered to the sd card after I unmount the sd card and mount it again then are gone(but all pics from months ago still remain in sd,only the ones I transfer now dissapear),and the sdcard several times a day is removed unexpectedly alone and then mounting again alone
    Same happens to apps moved to sd
    Is after card unmounted that photos are gone
    I have done a format sd card but after it still everything is in the card,nothing deleted,is like I can not delete any old data and can not also write any new data
    Best

04-03-2015 06:12 AM
    But the preinstalled camera on Galaxy Note 4 yes can be saved to external sd?
    The preinstalled Camera app has permission to save to the SD card, but the 3rd party camera app you installed might not have that permission.

Are photos taken by the 3rd party camera (that are being saved to Internal Storage) also turning black, or only those taken by the preinstalled Camera that are saved to SD?
    04-03-2015 10:16 AM
    Thanks B.Diddy
    No,the photos taken with a third party app saved to internal storage are not turning black,just the ones taken with the preinstalled camera saved to external sd card are turning black.
    I remember now around 2 months ago I shot some videos I forgot if with preinstalled camera or a third party camera app that stored in internal memory(in a galaxy S4 but still same sdcard I use now in galaxy note 4) that later on I transfered to a folder in the sd card all videos and all them turned black when seen in gallery and later on dissapeared completely
    If I shoot now some pictures with preinstalled camera and saved to external card they are fine til card unexpectedly removed and then mounted again alone then all is gone as I check in the folder the number of pics are less after gone but the gigas used in sd still same before gone and after gone 3.2 gigas
    Thanks a lot
    Best
    Alex

04-03-2015 08:44 PM
    It's clearly a problem with the SD card. The card could be corrupt or failing, or it might be an issue with the phone's SD interface (Samsung devices have been somewhat notorious for SD problems). As mentioned before, I would get rid of that card and get a new one. Stick with reliable brands like Sandisk, Samsung, Sony, or Toshiba, and only buy from reputable retailers.
    04-04-2015 01:48 AM
    Install SD Insight and run it with the SD card in the phone, to check the card. If it's not the size it claims in the printing on the card, or it was manufactured way back before they made that size card (setting the manufacture date to 0 gives you a date of January 1970), you have a counterfeit card (a small card reprogrammed to say it's larger).

To use the SD card the way it used to be used (any app can write anywhere), you have to root the phone and run an app like NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root). A file has to be changed, and only superuser (the user with root permissions) can change (or even see) that file.

Even after formatting the card (it's a fast format - it just tells the controller to consider all of the card unused and deletes all file name, size, date, etc., information), PhotoRec can recover pictures from it - it reads the memory chip itself, and looks for blocks of data that look like file formats it recognizes. (As far as the step by step, maybe I'll look at it and write a guide that explains it more simply. It's difficult, as someone who was using Unix v4 to look at the step by step they give and see where anyone can't understand it.)

As for recovering pictures because you can see parts of the userdata partition when you plug the phone into a computer, recovery requires either direct access to storage (the way PhotoRec does it) or direct access to the directory of the storage (the way recovery apps do it - and can't if the card has been formatted, since all directory information is lost). Neither can be done by connection to a computer, the card has to be mounted directly to the computer (as with a USB adapter for the card).
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-05-2015 01:43 PM
    Thanks Rukbat
    I check that and is real card date 2013 and 64 Gigas
    It may be problem with the sd card;maybe is broken
    I tried today to pass pictures from computer to sd in the phone and after I unplug from computer and check gallery they are still there but after card is unmounted from phone and mounted again they disappeared;any kind of file I move to sd deletes alone after unmount sd
    But also I have many photos and videos from long ago that even I format the sd they still appear,it do not delete when do format it
    Best
    Alex

04-05-2015 10:34 PM
    To my wife that's using a galaxy S4 it happens exactly the same with the microsd card
    All happens since an update to kitkat last november
    Could be android that made sd cards blocked?
    Best
    Alex

04-06-2015 04:29 AM
    I don't think it's due to Android itself. It's usually some combination of the SD card itself (i.e., quality issues) and probably something in Samsung's firmware that makes SD corruption a little more common. (We see far fewer complaints about this from non-Samsung devices that use SD cards, although that might also be a function of Samsung's greater volume.)
    04-06-2015 10:41 AM
    I contacted sandisk and they will replace me the sdcards for a new ones;they told me they are protected against writting anything from what I explain them
    How can 2 sd cards become like this at the same time,just when kitkat made the update?
    Well I will see the new ones if are working
    Thanks to all the replies from all
    Post closed
    Best
    Alex

B. Diddy likes this.
    04-07-2015 10:25 PM
    H-Data Recovery Master is not bad. I tried a lot of recovery tool, only H-Data Recover 95% of my lost files.
    06-12-2015 01:55 AM