Deciding between Note 4 and S5...bigger size on Note 4 isn't an issue

1) I've read reviews, but seeking additional insight on Note 4 and S5 camera if anybody can provide...does the optical image stabilization make a difference in your experience? How about auto focus? My friend complains the auto focus on the S5 isn't that good...finally, night shots note 4 vs s5?

2) Multi window. I know both have it, but Note 4 you can resize the apps and minimize...basically true multi tasking like a PC/Mac.
    Question is...when you make a app smaller...and start typing in that app (e.g., gmail or browser)....does app automatically maximize so you use the full-sized keyboard or is it smaller according to the size of the app size window? My guess is the former...
    04-02-2015 12:38 PM
    Deciding between Note 4 and S5...bigger size on Note 4 isn't an issue

1) I've read reviews, but seeking additional insight on Note 4 and S5 camera if anybody can provide...does the optical image stabilization make a difference in your experience? How about auto focus? My friend complains the auto focus on the S5 isn't that good...finally, night shots note 4 vs s5?

2) Multi window. I know both have it, but Note 4 you can resize the apps and minimize...basically true multi tasking like a PC/Mac.
    Question is...when you make a app smaller...and start typing in that app (e.g., gmail or browser)....does app automatically maximize so you use the full-sized keyboard or is it smaller according to the size of the app size window? My guess is the former...
    Note 4 camera is way better than the S5 camera software wise. I had the S5 and Note 4 and I can tell you that the Note 4 took better pictures that the S5. I think it has to do with software maybe. If the S5 had the Note 4 camera software on it, it would probably perform better.
    04-02-2015 12:50 PM
    1) Yes. It does make a difference. Like ITGuy said, the Note 4's camera is soooo much better than the S5's. Nightshots are much improved, again, thanks to that OIS. The first unit I got had issues focusing, but I sent it back and got a replacement and now it's working just fine.

2) None. When you start typing the app doesn't maximize, BUT the keyboard shows up in 'full' mode and does take up usually half of your screen, unless you have a keyboard with 'floating mode', but that's the only 'annoyance', that when the keyboard is docked, it kinda makes everything else jump around when it shows up.
    04-02-2015 12:58 PM
    1) Yes. It does make a difference. Like ITGuy said, the Note 4's camera is soooo much better than the S5's. Nightshots are much improved, again, thanks to that OIS. The first unit I got had issues focusing, but I sent it back and got a replacement and now it's working just fine.

2) None. When you start typing the app doesn't maximize, BUT the keyboard shows up in 'full' mode and does take up usually half of your screen, unless you have a keyboard with 'floating mode', but that's the only 'annoyance', that when the keyboard is docked, it kinda makes everything else jump around when it shows up.
    Excellent...yah, I think I'll get the Note 4 then. When I played around with older variants of Multi window..I couldn't really take notes...e.g., web page on top half...memo pad on bottom half...if i wanted to make notes using memo, the keyboard would take half the screen with the memo app so basically the top half (where the web page is) is covered.....is this problem somewhat mitigated in the Note 4? e.g., the bottom half would be keyboard...and then i could have two smaller apps floating on the top half (i know it'd be squished)
    04-02-2015 01:17 PM
    Excellent...yah, I think I'll get the Note 4 then. When I played around with older variants of Multi window..I couldn't really take notes...e.g., web page on top half...memo pad on bottom half...if i wanted to make notes using memo, the keyboard would take half the screen with the memo app so basically the top half (where the web page is) is covered.....is this problem somewhat mitigated in the Note 4? e.g., the bottom half would be keyboard...and then i could have two smaller apps floating on the top half (i know it'd be squished)
    The keyboard is going to cover the bottom app in the multi window. Its just a matter of screen realestate, you can use a keyboard like SwiftKey and re-size it or detach it and move it around to mitigate all of that.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-02-2015 01:20 PM
    You could try a shorter height keyboard like Minuum. It gives much more vertical real estate for your app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ape.minuumfree

It's much different than "normal" keyboards. I tried the Minuum keyboard and just couldn't get used to it. So I switched back to Swype (prefer that more than SwiftKey).
    04-02-2015 01:31 PM
    The keyboard is going to cover the bottom app in the multi window. Its just a matter of screen realestate, you can use a keyboard like SwiftKey and re-size it or detach it and move it around to mitigate all of that.
    Not really. On the Note 4, if you have two apps open and you 'summon' the keyboard, the 'background' app isn't covered, but it depends on the 'main' app's window size. If the 'main' app is larger than the 'background' app, chances are the secondary one will be covered with the keyboard, but if the 'main' app's window is smaller, you can still see both apps (even if just a little glimpse of the background one).

Furthermore, if you're running two apps in 'normal' mode and one app in 'windowed' mode (floating window) and you trigger the keyboard on the floating one, you will still see all three apps, but the bottom 'normal' one will be covered partially by the keyboard.

In other words, windows don't resize when the keyboard is shown. The app that called it is only re-positioned to allow for the keyboard to show but the background apps are just covered over.
    04-02-2015 01:35 PM
    played around with the Note 4...not really impressed with the multi window....i found that even when app was resized to its smallest...the app would stil overlap some of the keyboard

guess the deciding factor is the camera....

what makes the decision harder is my friend is wlling to give me a couple of spare S5 charges and extra battery for free...and just found out the Note 4 reverted to USB 2.0 port ....
    04-03-2015 11:44 AM
    what makes the decision harder is my friend is wlling to give me a couple of spare S5 charges and extra battery for free...and just found out the Note 4 reverted to USB 2.0 port ....
    I wouldn't let this play into the decision. These are minor things. It's like choosing an older vehicle over a new one just because the older one comes with a free tank of gas and an air freshener.

Note 4 fast charging is awesome. It takes away a lot (not all) of the need for a spare battery. Plug it in for 20 to 30 min and you get 35% to 50% more charge. If you can't be near a wall outlet and don't carry your charger (or keep a spare one at work), well, that's a different story.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-03-2015 04:25 PM
    Plus, USB 3 was highly overrated. Unless you're using your phone as a portable hard drive, there really is no need for it (and nope, it won't charge the S5 faster, even if you plug in the Note 4 to a non-quick-charging, USB 2.0 charger).
    04-06-2015 11:56 AM