09-15-2016 08:13 AM
38 12
tools
    I just got my Lollipop update today on my VZW Note 4. So far, it's pretty cool.

I do have one question though, if anyone can remember. When I first got this phone, both my 4G and WiFi would run at the same time. I remember there was an app that I had to disable in order to get this to stop. I seem to recall it was a Name Caller ID app, but when I looked through my Apps Manager, I don't see anything that sounds like an app of that nature.

Has anyone that has this update seen that, and if so, how do I stop it? I know I've stopped it before, but dogged if I can remember what it was.

Thanks!
    Bruce
    04-03-2015 04:46 PM
    I just got my Lollipop update today on my VZW Note 4. So far, it's pretty cool.

I do have one question though, if anyone can remember. When I first got this phone, both my 4G and WiFi would run at the same time. I remember there was an app that I had to disable in order to get this to stop. I seem to recall it was a Name Caller ID app, but when I looked through my Apps Manager, I don't see anything that sounds like an app of that nature.

Has anyone that has this update seen that, and if so, how do I stop it? I know I've stopped it before, but dogged if I can remember what it was.

Thanks!
    Bruce
    Are you sure it was an app and not the Wi-Fi Calling turned on in your call setting? I don't have Lollypop yet (TMO) so I'm not sure if that's applicable. Can you post a screen shot so we can see exactly what you're talking about?
    04-03-2015 05:01 PM
    It may have been renamed to Verizon Caller ID, look for that, also look for apps that are running and check them one by one.
    04-03-2015 05:03 PM
    I see both wifi and 4g on on my phone as well. Don't know how to disable it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    04-03-2015 05:07 PM
    Here's my screen shot of what I'm talking about. This wasn't happening prior to the update. Well...it did happen until I disabled one of the junk software Verizon had put on my phone. Now I can't recall what is causing it this time.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Both 4G and Wifi running at the same time-screenshot_2015-04-04-08-59-55.jpg  
    04-04-2015 09:02 AM
    I saw that too but didn't think much about it. Now you got me wondering. Is it using some data when on wifi?

04-04-2015 09:08 AM
    You have download booster enabled. Drag down with 2 fingers from top of screen and disable it

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    04-04-2015 09:10 AM
    You have download booster enabled. Drag down with 2 fingers from top of screen and disable it

This is not correct. Download booster had another icon.

I disabled all the Verizon stuff, mine is on, probably was on on KK, as well. I don't think it is actually using any data because the arrows don't light up indicating usage.

Posted
    04-04-2015 10:00 AM

I checked that, and no, I don't have download booster enabled. I know before, it was some kind of caller ID app. I looked through several spots and don't see anything of that nature. Really puzzling

It must use data, albeit a small amount. Why else would it be enabled? I'm not too worried, as I have plenty of data on my plan, but it's just one of those things that kinda bug me.
    04-04-2015 10:15 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing since update, if I remember right It was due to the caller ID app.im going to clear cache and data on it and see if it fixes it

04-04-2015 10:17 AM

When I drag down with 2 fingers there is no download booster option. So I found it in settings and it was off. When I turn off mobile data then the 4G goes gray. But I think that used to happen automatic when on wifi.

04-04-2015 10:20 AM
    I've been monitoring it with the Verizon data widget and I'm not seeing my data usage going up while on Wi-Fi, so I'm not worried about it.

04-04-2015 10:23 AM
    Its setup that way for a reason not a bug. When you have advanced calling turned on, it uses LTE for voice calls. This doesnt go against your data, thats why you dont see the upstream downstream arrows moving when your wifi is also connected. It will use data if you use it for video calls.
    Tatt2014 likes this.
    04-04-2015 10:41 AM
    Its setup that way for a reason not a bug. When you have advanced calling turned on, it uses LTE for voice calls. This doesnt go against your data, thats why you dont see the upstream downstream arrows moving when your wifi is also connected. It will use data if you use it for video calls.
    I just watched a YouTube video on wifi and the 4G arrows were blinking. Also I do not have advanced calling activated.
    Still not sure why this is happening.

04-05-2015 09:17 AM
    That would make sense, but I don't have advanced calling turned on either.

I'm not too concerned, as I do have plenty of data, but I don't like something happening that seems to have no reason. I mean, when I'm in a WiFi area, I want to use WiFi...not my data!
    04-05-2015 01:07 PM
    Nope..advanced calling is off for me and it still blinks!
    04-05-2015 02:53 PM
    Honestly I am worried cuz I am on a shared data plan so i don't have the luxury to just waste data like tht !

Download booster is off for me as well!
    04-05-2015 02:54 PM
    Are you sure it was an app and not the Wi-Fi Calling turned on in your call setting? I don't have Lollypop yet (TMO) so I'm not sure if that's applicable. Can you post a screen shot so we can see exactly what you're talking about?
    No wifi calling on Verizon!
    04-05-2015 02:54 PM
    So no name caller ID feature enabled for me, advanced calling off, download booster off

ALL THIS MEANS....

We have a BUG in Lollipop cuz it wasn't like this on KK !!
    04-05-2015 02:57 PM
    I have that too. It was caller name id app causing this on kit kat. The most possible reason is the new advance calling feature even if you have not activated that yet. It doesn't seem to be using any data really. I'm not worried. It's a small matter

04-05-2015 03:57 PM
    I don't even see that app after the update. I was looking for it to disable it, and can't find it. That's why I'm so puzzled.

Like I said, I'm not that concerned, I just don't like something happening that I can't explain
    04-05-2015 04:38 PM
    I don't even see that app after the update. I was looking for it to disable it, and can't find it. That's why I'm so puzzled.

Like I said, I'm not that concerned, I just don't like something happening that I can't explain
    You will find it under "Turned Off" in application manager. I have it disabled.

04-05-2015 04:57 PM
    I have this too and it is using both wi-fi and data. If you watch it while surfing around you will see the active arrows on both icons on the notification bar. Also, since I live in a rural area, it is moving from 4g to 3g to 1x and all the while using up the battery. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread and others and nothing works. I have unlimited data but it clearly should not be doing this. It switched automatically before and the data icon would gray out when I came home and it picked up wi-fi. Apparently this is not happening to others. I now have to manually turn off data when I return home and turn on when I leave home to save the battery. Not good..... Hoping someone figures it out. If I do I will let you know.
    04-05-2015 08:46 PM
    Just saw this on Verizon customer support site:

2. Re: 4G and WiFi on at the same time

Verizon Wireless Customer Support
    Diamond
    Verizon Wireless Customer Support Apr 5, 2015 11:47 AM (in response to Sallyvs19)
    Sallyvs19,

I can understand your concerns in wanting to verify what network that you're device is utilizing. Your device may show 4G LTE still available at times even when WiFI is enabled, but it will utilize Wifi over cellular data. Certain applications such as My Verizon or Visual Voice mail require the 4G connection and may still utilize 4G services. If you'd like to ensure no 4G is utilized at all, then you can you disable the mobile data in your settings. Let us know if you have any questions!
    04-05-2015 09:09 PM
    I've been disabling my mobile data and it keeps turning itself back on automatically.
    04-05-2015 09:27 PM
38 12