Verizon Lollipop Problems anyone?

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Just some unsolicited commentary... I see a lot of people advocating a full factory reset after the Lollipop update to fix whatever lingering issues arise after updating. While I agree that, in many cases, doing so alleviates the issues, it's my firm belief that this is an inherent flaw with the process in general. There is no reason that updating should force one to have to put the device back to factory defaults and state in order to alleviate issues. I'm not sure if the issue lies in the hardware or in the software or the simple fact that Android is meant to accommodate a large array of devices so there is a lot more idiosyncrasy inherent in it. However, it is a major inconvenience to the end user if the end-user is to be expected to perform a factory reset after each update in order to get their device working.

Yes, I understand that it is easy nowadays to backup your information/apps/etc. and perform the factory reset and then restore. But ease shouldn't be an excuse for something not simply performing as expected out of the box. I work in the IT industry and to me this is a huge inconvenience that seems like it should be able to be avoided (at least to a large extent as there are always exceptions to every rule).

I was lucky enough after the update that I didn't have to perform the factory reset. However, if I were forced to I'd not have been real happy about it. I;m sure I'm just rambling on and it is much ado about nothing. But, I have certain expectations and something like this falls outside of them. Feel free to flame away but that's just one person's opinion.

NYVET

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just some unsolicited commentary... I see a lot of people advocating a full factory reset after the Lollipop update to fix whatever lingering issues arise after updating. While I agree that, in many cases, doing so alleviates the issues, it's my firm belief that this is an inherent flaw with the process in general. There is no reason that updating should force one to have to put the device back to factory defaults and state in order to alleviate issues. I'm not sure if the issue lies in the hardware or in the software or the simple fact that Android is meant to accommodate a large array of devices so there is a lot more idiosyncrasy inherent in it. However, it is a major inconvenience to the end user if the end-user is to be expected to perform a factory reset after each update in order to get their device working.

Yes, I understand that it is easy nowadays to backup your information/apps/etc. and perform the factory reset and then restore. But ease shouldn't be an excuse for something not simply performing as expected out of the box. I work in the IT industry and to me this is a huge inconvenience that seems like it should be able to be avoided (at least to a large extent as there are always exceptions to every rule).

I was lucky enough after the update that I didn't have to perform the factory reset. However, if I were forced to I'd not have been real happy about it. I;m sure I'm just rambling on and it is much ado about nothing. But, I have certain expectations and something like this falls outside of them. Feel free to flame away but that's just one person's opinion.

Agree. Having to do a factory reset is my absolute last resort! I hate it.

Posted via the Android Central App

thetaylor310

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Normally, a OS upgrade should be as the name implies: an upgrade to the experience of using our daily, indispensable tools. Nowadays, whether Android or iOS, a OS upgrade is met with much apprehension

i too am on the same boat that it shouldn't require users to do a factory reset or something of that calibre for the upgrade to "work"

And yeah, each carrier has their distinct quirks and what not in its relation with Android, but i think that Lollipop itself is most likely the culprit with all these recent posts

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only having this problem? I get a notification message from FB via text messaging from one of my contacts, and when I click on the link to see the whole message in Facebook I get a box that says "Unfortunately, Internet has stopped" This is driving me insane, and I do not want to do a factory reset, anyone know how to fix this? This started happening right after the Lollipop update!! Help and Thanks :)

Lenny F

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Argh, phone is noticeably slower and more frustrating is every now and then the home key decides to stop responding :'(

I have cleared the cache twice and it has not helped. Give me back Kitkat. I loved my note then, now I have random thoughts of throwing it against a wall... :mad:

Lenny F

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, this is definitely a downgrade. Used to be able to briefly power on phone to see if I had notifications or alerts that would require unlocking the phone. Now I have to unlock the phone. Waste of my time, battery power and requires 2 hands :mad:

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I do too. Food mode in camera crashes. Also volume under settings crashes.

donb2010

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I updated yesterday and all was fine, but an hour ago my phone restarted itself and was stuck on the Verizon logo red screen for a really long time until I finally had to pull the battery. Anything to worry about? I just hope this was a one time thing.

rayxxxle

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got lollipop on Monday. My one issue is minor, but annoying. I normally use a custom notification tone, but that option seems to be gone. For ringtones I can add a file to the list, but not for notifications. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way around it?

I have been having the same problem. Cannot get notification sound to change. I have tried everything I can think off to do.
Anybody got any ideas?
When I change it under "Sound and norification", it shows the ringtone I want as the notification ringtone I set, but I still get the standard notification tone, not the one I set and not the one that shows under notification ringtone.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

If you were updating your computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8, would you do a clean install, or would you just do the upgrade? :)

Same principle, but admittedly much easier to do on a phone... :)

idkwtf

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's the upgrade, but I live on the fringe of my Verizon service and I picked up my phone in October and my service has been actually ok, even better than most of my past phones, but after the upgrade I have no service 98% of the time and when I see service it's only one bar.
I've done three resets, cleared cache multiple times driven the two miles where good service is available and restarted and nothing. I've been reading and waiting to see if anyone has had similar problems but I have found nothing.. like I said this phone was good until upgrade and the moment I restarted after upgrade, nothing.. any thoughts? Anyone else?

I personally wasn't happy with the upgrade but I guess change takes getting used to. I didn't like the new notifications but I'm getting used to it and if only my phone would work I think I may learn to like it, I've gone in and changed my settings for different reception but again no change.
Kind of hoping the the next upgrade to 5.1 helps I can text out via WiFi but absolutely no calls..
Sorry I'm a noob.. and my first post.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I definitely think I have a issue with Data usage after the update...Even though when I am connected to Wifi, 4G LTE still lights up..and also during calls, 4G LTE lights up..talked to verizon, and they said yes during HD calls u will use some data..but as i mentioned, even during WiFI my 4G LTE is still running, to which verizon says it's the whole "smart switch" and they recommend i turn off mobile data when I am connected to WiFI...this is so cumbersome!

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Battery still not as good as it was with kit kat so I will do another cashe wipe. Browser issues finally fixed itself on its own and I started using Nova launcher instead of touchwiz because it kept crashing.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Battery still not as good as it was with kit kat so I will do another cashe wipe. Browser issues finally fixed itself on its own and I started using Nova launcher instead of touchwiz because it kept crashing.

u did factory reset on your phone?

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Reduced battery life is one of the reasons the person I spoke to at Verizon suggested he would wait to upgrade. IIRC, he said a version 5.1 would fix that and some other problems.

So, every 24 hours, I postpone the upgrade for another 24 hours. At least it's letting me do that. For now.

FWIW, by battery life on stock KitKat has been extraordinary.