Could someone explain just exactly what a factory reset does to my phone?

I must be missing something here.

If I...
    1) make a backup of everything on my phone with Samsung kies for example,
    2) then I do the lollipop update, clear the cache,
    3) then I restore from Samsung kies...

Wouldn't I have just defeated the purpose of a factory reset? Wouldn't I be bringing any potential conflicts with the new operating system right back onto the phone?

Analogy... On a computer, if I make complete backup of my PC, and then I change the operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I can't use my windows 7 back up to reinstall my programs. I need to reinstall my programs on the Windows 8 operating system. I could then use part of my back up to get my data back, but the programs themselves could not be retrieved from one operating system to another in this fashion.

I realize phones are not the same thing as PCs, and phones don't have registries like Windows, but isn't the overall concept the same?

We all know that changing the operating system on a Windows PC is best done by doing a clean install. nobody wants to do a clean install, because they have to reinstall all their software and bring back their data afterwards, but we all know it's the best way to go.

Looking at it that way, it would seem that the only really safe, perhaps maybe even bulletproof way to do the lollipop upgrade would be to backup your data only, do the upgrade, reinstall all your apps manually, and then bring back your data ( pictures, video, contacts)

I must just be missing something conceptually, because I can't see how you can back up a program from a different operating system and restore it right back on the phone under a new operating system and expect it to work.

Please bring me clarity, community! I thank you very much for your time

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-04-2015 12:19 AM
    "We all know that changing the operating system on a Windows PC is best done by doing a clean install. nobody wants to do a clean install, because they have to reinstall all their software and bring back their data afterwards, but we all know it's the best way to go."

This is your best way to a smooth OS. Backup your data and reinstall data as and when required
    The beter apps backup your user data on their own servers so your dictionary would be available when you download SwiftKey for instance.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    04-04-2015 12:27 AM
    I had just got home from being at the zoo when i checked for the update. I just moved my photos and music to my laptop and after the update i moved em back. I didnt have anything else to do today so i didnt mind reinstalling apps and re setting up the phone how i like it.

This is the first time ive done a reset since moving to ice cream sandwich a few years ago.

No problems so far, and like i said i didnt mind taking the time to set stuff back up, since when google play keeps a history of installed apps (except the side loaded ones and i only have 1.)

juliesdroidsync likes this.
    04-04-2015 01:42 AM
    "We all know that changing the operating system on a Windows PC is best done by doing a clean install. nobody wants to do a clean install, because they have to reinstall all their software and bring back their data afterwards, but we all know it's the best way to go."

This is your best way to a smooth OS. Backup your data and reinstall data as and when required
    The beter apps backup your user data on their own servers so your dictionary would be available when you download SwiftKey for instance.
    Thank you for your reply. As I suspected, there are probably No shortcuts to circumvent this process that I won't pay for later... :-)

04-04-2015 11:20 AM