Hey all!

Just got the update on Verizon, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of encrypting to find it that I can't use the fingerprint scanner any more.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-04-2015 05:57 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Most phones (besides the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9) only allow PIN or password unlock when encrypted. From what I could tell doing a web search, fingerprint scanners are disabled on encrypted phones. There is unfortunately no way around this, and since encryption is irreversible, you would have to backup your data, then do a factory data reset and then set the phone back up without encryption.
    04-05-2015 02:48 AM
    Encryption does work with the fingerprint scanner. It was only disabled prior to lollipop. You must use the password only when powering up the phone, you can use your fingerprint every time there after when unlocking. (I've been doing it all day.)

That being said, I just did a factory reset as encryption isn't the greatest. There is an annoying delay when you hit the power button to lock the phone (screen goes off, however, if you touch anything you can accidentally launch an app while the screen is dark before it locks) and it seems to cause a faster depletion of the battery. If you can live with that and require the extra comfort of having an encrypted device, go for it!
    04-05-2015 06:14 AM
    Thanks for the responses all!
    I went ahead and encrypted my phone to test it out. Unfortunately, I was unable to use my fingerprint scanner with the device lock.

Sadly, I will have to deal with an unencrypted service until I find a work around, or it's made available.

Any one know of a work around?
    04-05-2015 10:58 AM
    Encryption does work with the fingerprint scanner. It was only disabled prior to lollipop.
    That's interesting--which phone do you have? I wonder if it's dependent on the device or carrier.
    04-05-2015 12:32 PM
    Note 4. It should not be on a per carrier basis. I have Verizon, but I know it works on the international, Sprint and Verizon versions.

That's interesting--which phone do you have? I wonder if it's dependent on the device or carrier.
    04-05-2015 01:18 PM
    Did you try to set up the fingerprint scanner before or after the encryption? I don't remember which order I did it, but IIRC I know prior to Lollipop on the Exynos version, you needed to do it prior. I'm wondering if that is still the case. (Sorry, that I don't remember the order I used, but I do know I was able to do it all day yesterday without issue.)

Thanks for the responses all!
    I went ahead and encrypted my phone to test it out. Unfortunately, I was unable to use my fingerprint scanner with the device lock.

Sadly, I will have to deal with an unencrypted service until I find a work around, or it's made available.

Any one know of a work around?
    04-05-2015 01:20 PM
    Did you try to set up the fingerprint scanner before or after the encryption? I don't remember which order I did it, but IIRC I know prior to Lollipop on the Exynos version, you needed to do it prior. I'm wondering if that is still the case. (Sorry, that I don't remember the order I used, but I do know I was able to do it all day yesterday without issue.)
    I have the fingerprint lock set up before encryption, however it forces a change to the password lock to begin encryption.

After, it doesn't allow me to change to the fingerprint.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-11-2015 03:17 AM
    I can do fingerprint unlock with encrypted phone on note 5
    10-07-2015 11:27 PM