Proof that lollipop is better...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to figure out every way to avoid doing this update, but I had a few quiet hours and decided to go ahead and bite the bullet.

A lot of how we perceive our phones operating is admittedly subjective. We are watching more closely after an update, at least I know I was, and sometimes I think our perceptions maybe a bit skewed one way or the other.

What is not subjective is benchmark testing. I used antutu benchmark app
Several times before I did the lollipop upgrade. I got numbers between forty five thousand and forty six thousand.

I have the same apps on the phone now as I did before. I disabled the same apps now that I had disabled before the upgrade as well.

I do believe my phone is faster and more responsive. and here is my proof! A solid 10% increase overall. Over 50,000.

And yes, I did the factory reset immediately after the lollipop update, before I even allowed myself to look around! :)

Anyone else have before and after information?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-07-10-21-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-07-10-21-11.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 407

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Same apps, but different kernel.

That's the point, right? :) Programs probably didn't change overnight but the operating system did. and my phone is showing a 10% overall increase in performance.

I stand by my statement that is not subjective. That is a fact. It validates my very subjective feeling that my phone is actually even more incredibly amazing after the update... :)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but the title of this thread is not entirely accurate. You could easily get the same numbers with KitKat and a few minor kernel tweaks.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but the title of this thread is not entirely accurate. You could easily get the same numbers with KitKat and a few minor kernel tweaks.

I see what you're saying, but I still think you just made my point for me... :) I didn't do any kernel tweaking before, (cleared cache was it) and I didn't do any after. Same apps, same settings. I made a point of keeping everything the same so I could do an accurate comparison.

The only thing that has changed on my phone is the Lollipop update. And I immediately got a solid 10% increase in performance.

Let me put it in terms I understand a bit better, as I admit I could be missing something here... Just because I can make, with "tweaks", a Chevy 350 motor run as well or better than a stock Chevy 454 Big Block crate motor, doesn't mean that the Big Block is not better to begin with, right?

If Benchmark testing with the same apps and settings is not proof, then what is? :)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
What I'm saying is that Lollipop uses a different kernel with arguably different settings for how your gpu and cpu clocks ramp up and perform. This directly affects benchmark numbers.

What affects actual user performance outside of these statistics is the actual OS, Lollipop. Just trying to differentiate the two.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
What I'm saying is that Lollipop uses a different kernel with arguably different settings for how your gpu and cpu clocks ramp up and perform. This directly affects benchmark numbers.

What affects actual user performance outside of these statistics is the actual OS, Lollipop. Just trying to differentiate the two.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

...I see I have so much to learn... So, how would one more accurately test whilst differentiating between the two? :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Who cares? The point is, OP's phone operates better now after the lollipop update and nothing different was done as a user, aside from updating the device. Part of the lollipop package included those tweaks that you spoke of. The Kit Kat package did not have those tweaks included. So regardless of the electronic and scientific "why's" behind the performance, the point remains that the Lollipop Update Package fits the phone better than the previous setup.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Who cares? The point is, OP's phone operates better now after the lollipop update and nothing different was done as a user, aside from updating the device. Part of the lollipop package included those tweaks that you spoke of. The Kit Kat package did not have those tweaks included. So regardless of the electronic and scientific "why's" behind the performance, the point remains that the Lollipop Update Package fits the phone better than the previous setup.

I seek to understand the why's behind performance. I think most users should strive to do this as well. Wouldn't you want to know why something works better, outside of just the blanket statement of "Lollipop is better"? This isn't the iOS crowd, it's an Android forum. Let's work together to educate ourselves to better understand and utilize the technologies around us.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I seek to understand the why's behind performance. I think most users should strive to do this as well. Wouldn't you want to know why something works better, outside of just the blanket statement of "Lollipop is better"? This isn't the iOS crowd, it's an Android forum. Let's work together to educate ourselves to better understand and utilize the technologies around us.

Sure I don't disagree with this. Except for the part that most users should strive to do what you do. But not every thread needs to have the know it all's bestow their knowledge upon everyone. OP simply was stating that the Lollipop update has generated much better performance. If your response was to simply state the different kernel (as you did), and leave it at that, I could believe that you were simply reminding folks why the performance was improved specifically. But to repeatedly quote the OP repeating the same info in a tone like he/she was wrong and you were right was pointless. The title of the thread is dead on for the point that OP was making. The title wasn't: "Lollipop uses the same Kernel as Kit Kat." If it had, you'd be correct in trying to harp on the kernel aspect.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I seek to understand the why's behind performance. I think most users should strive to do this as well...

While, me, you and most other on this forum are here because we go above and beyond with our devices, face it, most users probably open the box and press the power button.

So, OP's test is really in reference to a good majority of users (whether we're talking electronics, appliances, cars...) who simply press power and don't go a single step past that if they don't have to.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Sure I don't disagree with this. Except for the part that most users should strive to do what you do. But not every thread needs to have the know it all's bestow their knowledge upon everyone. OP simply was stating that the Lollipop update has generated much better performance. If your response was to simply state the different kernel (as you did), and leave it at that, I could believe that you were simply reminding folks why the performance was improved specifically. But to repeatedly quote the OP repeating the same info in a tone like he/she was wrong and you were right was pointless. The title of the thread is dead on for the point that OP was making. The title wasn't: "Lollipop uses the same Kernel as Kit Kat." If it had, you'd be correct in trying to harp on the kernel aspect.

You can't tell a persons tone in normal text. A lot of people read words and take them the wrong way and let their feelings run wild.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to figure out every way to avoid doing this update, but I had a few quiet hours and decided to go ahead and bite the bullet.

A lot of how we perceive our phones operating is admittedly subjective. We are watching more closely after an update, at least I know I was, and sometimes I think our perceptions maybe a bit skewed one way or the other.

What is not subjective is benchmark testing. I used antutu benchmark app
Several times before I did the lollipop upgrade. I got numbers between forty five thousand and forty six thousand.

I have the same apps on the phone now as I did before. I disabled the same apps now that I had disabled before the upgrade as well.

I do believe my phone is faster and more responsive. and here is my proof! A solid 10% increase overall. Over 50,000.

And yes, I did the factory reset immediately after the lollipop update, before I even allowed myself to look around! :)

Anyone else have before and after information?

I just did mine - I looked around and found my old KitKat - 43,411. The new test after Lollipop and Factory Reset is 52421! Slick! :D

AnTuTu_jd.jpg

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I for one appreciate this. I have NEVER rooted an Android device, I've NEVER tweaked anything beyond just app here, setting there, and that's it. I really do appreciate that Samsung on their own included these updates and settings to make my device work better and faster without me having to "learn" or "go out of my way" to do this. I understand that programmers, hackers, developers do this. But I am an end user, and I don't really want to know how this works. I have a hard enough schedule as is. I just want a good experience for the money I paid. If by accepting an update my device gets better, heck yeah! But I REALLY do appreciate all the developers and hackers out there. Their job is incredible. Thank you very much! But also, thank you to Sammy for making my device work better :).

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I for one appreciate this. I have NEVER rooted an Android device, I've NEVER tweaked anything beyond just app here, setting there, and that's it. I really do appreciate that Samsung on their own included these updates and settings to make my device work better and faster without me having to "learn" or "go out of my way" to do this. I understand that programmers, hackers, developers do this. But I am an end user, and I don't really want to know how this works. I have a hard enough schedule as is. I just want a good experience for the money I paid. If by accepting an update my device gets better, heck yeah! But I REALLY do appreciate all the developers and hackers out there. Their job is incredible. Thank you very much! But also, thank you to Sammy for making my device work better :).

Ditto! We really don't hear enough of this!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You can't tell a persons tone in normal text. A lot of people read words and take them the wrong way and let their feelings run wild.

This is true. You are correct. I suppose what I should have said, was that to repeatedly quote the OP in a manner which indicated they were wrong and he was right, was pointless and unnecessary.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't agree more! Knowledge is power.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon