08-03-2015 10:26 AM
142 1234 ...
tools
    There are additional options for managing notifications in the Sound and Notifications area of Settings. I don't know if you can tailor it the way you want, but there does seem to be options for prioritizing and/or disabling at the application level. Also some options for controlling what you show on the lock screen. It may or may not help you.

From a personal perspective, I love the improvements that Lollipop brought to my Note 4. It certainly does not suck, at least for me. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 lollipop sucks-1428526577353.jpg   Note 4 lollipop sucks-1428526588051.jpg  
    plumcrazy likes this.
    04-08-2015 04:19 PM
    I see what you are saying about the larger notifications. I get those for Facebook so I am going to look to see if I can just get them in the notification bar. Anyway, here is a screenshot of my calender settings. I don't get any notifications on my lock screen.
    Unfortunately, I don't use the stock cal. Been using an aftermarket one for the last 4 years on all my Android devices. Also unfortunately, it doesn't give me an option like that. If it did, one of my issues would be solved.
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-08-2015 04:39 PM
    The issue MUST be you. I have had no problems with my Note 4 on WIND Mobile here in Toronto. None of these problems you claim to be having. So you must have the bad ion or something. If you really hate the OS that much then go back to owning a Blackberry then. I have been a Blackberry user since the days when the blue phone was popular and if you think Blackberry is better well then you are wrong. The Z10 and Q10 devices were garbage, even our clients (I work for an MSP) thought they were garbage that they went with iPhone and Samsung devices.
    Thanks for your biased opinion on the subject at hand.
    skatergirl and shaleem like this.
    04-08-2015 04:40 PM
    This is my exact delima. Either you disable all lockscreen notifications so whenever a notification comes in, you physically have to unlock your phone because, and I only speak for AT&T phones, the frigging geniuses at AT&T felt the need to plaster an AT&T logo on the status bar corner that DOESN'T go away unless you have do not disturb mode on (which defeats the purpose 90% of the time) or something that gives you a 24/7 status bar icon. A weather app maybe? Or, you can do nothing and live with any notification on your lock screen that won't go away unless you unlock your phone. Security issue? I think so.

I love the fact that a lot of you guys cry and moan about the colors Google chooses to use but when it comes to legit userbility of their software, most of you are quick to say you're doing something wrong or, my favorite, you should buy an iPhone.

There's a lot of confused individuals here on AC. More so than I've ever seen on iMore or Windows Central or even the WebOS boards.
    skatergirl and Winehouse914 like this.
    04-08-2015 04:51 PM
    Put me in the unhappy with Lollipop category. I admit I still need to see what other settings I can tweak, but just the overall appearance seems to be sub par compared with Kit Kat. My biggest problem is that in the two days I've had Lollipop my phone has completely frozen twice to the point I had to remove the battery to unfreeze. I'm guessing I have an app that doesn't play well with Lollipop and just need to discover which one it is. I'm thinking it may be the Cover lock screen app as I've noticed some differences in it. I've turned it off now and will go a few days without it to see if things become more stable.
    04-08-2015 04:56 PM
    This is my exact delima. Either you disable all lockscreen notifications so whenever a notification comes in, you physically have to unlock your phone because, and I only speak for AT&T phones, the frigging geniuses at AT&T felt the need to plaster an AT&T logo on the status bar corner that DOESN'T go away unless you have do not disturb mode on (which defeats the purpose 90% of the time) or something that gives you a 24/7 status bar icon. A weather app maybe? Or, you can do nothing and live with any notification on your lock screen that won't go away unless you unlock your phone. Security issue? I think so.

I love the fact that a lot of you guys cry and moan about the colors Google chooses to use but when it comes to legit userbility of their software, most of you are quick to say you're doing something wrong or, my favorite, you should buy an iPhone.

There's a lot of confused individuals here on AC. More so than I've ever seen on iMore or Windows Central or even the WebOS boards.
    So far, from what I can tell, it's your calendar app that has not been updated to keep up with the times. Who's problem exactly is that? There are more options than ever for apps that are updated properly, per skatergirls screenshot, you should be able to see this. If you want to try to calm down instead of going all crazy, you might actually see people are trying to help out. Don't go bashing a forum and putting people down because your upset about some make believe security issue. I mean, are you CIA or something? What the hell kind of notification could you possibly get that would be a breach of security? Your grocery list reminder is far from it.
    gregg6942 and HatchetBurial like this.
    04-08-2015 07:16 PM
    The cosmetic changes with lollipop will take some getting used to I suppose. I was happy with KitKat but was itching for something new. Installed lollipop today and so far so good. Like the OP I didn't like the new lock screen notifications so turned them off. I'm finding overall performance to be snappier though. Cheers.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2015 07:51 PM
    maybe try to use an app like light flow to control different colors for each type of notification ? just an idea you can try
    04-08-2015 07:56 PM
    Loving lollipop. And lock screen notifications are just great. I don't know why people complain about them since you can completely opt out by changing your settings. Over all, lollipop is a much better OS than kit kat.

04-08-2015 08:11 PM
    maybe try to use an app like light flow to control different colors for each type of notification ? just an idea you can try
    I tried 2 or 3 of those apps (lightflow was one of them) on Kit Kat & they caused other problems so I'm not going to try them again on Lollipop.
    04-08-2015 08:45 PM
    I tried 2 or 3 of those apps (lightflow was one of them) on Kit Kat & they caused other problems so I'm not going to try them again on Lollipop.
    Light manager is good and it's free. I haven't had any issues on lollipop with that one.

04-08-2015 08:50 PM
    Loving lollipop. And lock screen notifications are just great. I don't know why people complain about them since you can completely opt out by changing your settings. Over all, lollipop is a much better OS than kit kat.

I'm complaining because Lollipop doesn't have the top of the lockscreen icon notifications that Kit Kat had & Lollipop 5.1 will have. So now I have to unlock my screen to know why the LED is flashing which is at least 20 times a day. I can't use the lockscreen notifications because they block my lockscreen message which has my ICE contact #'s on it & I haven't taken the time to edit the lockscreen custom picture to have those ICE #'s appear at the bottom.

Because I haven't had a spare couple of hours minimum to do a factory reset this is what Lollipop has done for me besides the above:
    1) considerably worse battery life
    2) loss of fast charge in my car
    3) no temperature in the upper left hand corner of my lockscreen
    4) lockscreen (if I used them) & homescreen notifications I do not like as well as those in Kit Kat

Hopefully a factory reset will resolve issues 1 & 2 but certainly not 3 & 4 or the lockscreen icon notifications.

My bottom line is I was perfectly satisfied with my N4 on Kit Kat & now on Lollipop obviously I'm not. Lollipop took away basic functionality for the way I use my phone. I get that a lot of users are having better experiences on Lollipop but there are also a lot us that are not. Going back to Gingerbread over 5 years ago I don't recall so many forum members posting about problems/issues on so many different threads about an OS update. I know I never had a problem with any of the previous OS updates.

So I'm firmly with the thumbs down to Lollipop crowd and believe me I wish that wasn't the case. I still like my N4 just not as well as I used to. People use their phones differently so removing basic functionality is going to effect user experiences differently. I had no noticeable lag on Kit Kat & never thought it was a slow OS so I don't notice any difference in the speed of Lollipop but that's me & it is my phone I'm talking about that I paid AT&T for and continue to pay them monthly to use.

The Lollipop update should have been optional not mandatory. If it were optional I never would have downloaded/installed it-problems solved. I need a phone that is completely functional for the way I use it. It was & now it's not.
    howardka likes this.
    04-08-2015 09:14 PM
    So far, from what I can tell, it's your calendar app that has not been updated to keep up with the times. Who's problem exactly is that? There are more options than ever for apps that are updated properly, per skatergirls screenshot, you should be able to see this. If you want to try to calm down instead of going all crazy, you might actually see people are trying to help out. Don't go bashing a forum and putting people down because your upset about some make believe security issue. I mean, are you CIA or something? What the hell kind of notification could you possibly get that would be a breach of security? Your grocery list reminder is far from it.
    Make believe security issue. Answer me this, why even lock your phone at all then?

Also, reread what I said. I'm not asking for help with my situation. I stated my fustrations with this new way of handling notifications. It is 100% opposite of KK and it is a horrible experience. I don't have a problem with one app in perticular, it's all of them. My opinion is that notification handling in 5.0 royally sucks.

I can care less what you people say about me. I can care less because I know that most of you talk the way you do because you got your keyboard balls on. I know that in person something totally different would go down.

I can't even deal with this crap anymore. I deleting my account here. Have a nice day.
    gregg6942 likes this.
    04-08-2015 09:32 PM
    Sorry to hear that.You should be patient to deal with it. And hope you can solve.
    04-09-2015 02:54 AM
    I can't even deal with this crap anymore. I deleting my account here. Have a nice day.
    lmao.. you'll be back
    04-09-2015 05:02 AM
    Like wtf

There must be a setting for this I am thinking. I never have this happen while gaming. I don't know where the setting is unfortunately, as I have not changed anything since downloading lollipop. My notifications only come up like this on the lock screen.
    04-09-2015 06:11 AM
    I'm complaining because Lollipop doesn't have the top of the lockscreen icon notifications that Kit Kat had & Lollipop 5.1 will have. So now I have to unlock my screen to know why the LED is flashing which is at least 20 times a day. I can't use the lockscreen notifications because they block my lockscreen message which has my ICE contact #'s on it & I haven't taken the time to edit the lockscreen custom picture to have those ICE #'s appear at the bottom.

Because I haven't had a spare couple of hours minimum to do a factory reset this is what Lollipop has done for me besides the above:
    1) considerably worse battery life
    2) loss of fast charge in my car
    3) no temperature in the upper left hand corner of my lockscreen
    4) lockscreen (if I used them) & homescreen notifications I do not like as well as those in Kit Kat

Hopefully a factory reset will resolve issues 1 & 2 but certainly not 3 & 4 or the lockscreen icon notifications.

My bottom line is I was perfectly satisfied with my N4 on Kit Kat & now on Lollipop obviously I'm not. Lollipop took away basic functionality for the way I use my phone. I get that a lot of users are having better experiences on Lollipop but there are also a lot us that are not. Going back to Gingerbread over 5 years ago I don't recall so many forum members posting about problems/issues on so many different threads about an OS update. I know I never had a problem with any of the previous OS updates.

So I'm firmly with the thumbs down to Lollipop crowd and believe me I wish that wasn't the case. I still like my N4 just not as well as I used to. People use their phones differently so removing basic functionality is going to effect user experiences differently. I had no noticeable lag on Kit Kat & never thought it was a slow OS so I don't notice any difference in the speed of Lollipop but that's me & it is my phone I'm talking about that I paid AT&T for and continue to pay them monthly to use.

The Lollipop update should have been optional not mandatory. If it were optional I never would have downloaded/installed it-problems solved. I need a phone that is completely functional for the way I use it. It was & now it's not.
    I use dynamic notifications for my lockscreen. It mimics Motorola active display... Maybe try that.
    04-09-2015 06:39 AM

BUH-BYE.
    04-09-2015 07:30 AM

You can opt out, I did for a minute but you completely lose any and all notifications while locked because of the persistent carrier badge where notifications used to be in the status bar. That's the biggest thing that bugs me about this update.

Also I've never had a notification popup while in an app. Never changed settings.

04-09-2015 07:47 AM
    Like wtf

You know you can always take one of your fingers and swipe the notification away immediately right?
    MalinoisK9 and delynnie like this.
    04-09-2015 08:29 AM
    Is there a setting I can play around with to not have notifications come on the lock screen and just have them show up in the notifications like with Kitkat? Thanks. I don't like the new notifications systems either and turning them off completely is not something I wanna do either.
    I have not found a way to turn the notifications off on the lock screen while having them on the home screen notification bar.
    I have found that the notifications from apps (such as a mail app) can be swiped off the lock screen returning it to the plain lock screen. However, notifications sent from the OS (including the weather notifications) can't be swiped off the lock screen.
    I agree the KitKat notification options were more to my liking as to customization, but I like the look of the Lollipop notification panels better than the older styles.
    I have politely suggested the KitKat options for notifications should be reintroduced on various Samsung boards. Hopefully, enough folks who agree will also give input to Samsung. As most of have been taught honey applied in the right place gets much more attention than vinegar ;^)
    04-09-2015 12:08 PM
    PM me your Lock Screen Wallpaper, and your ICE # - I'll Photoshop it in. I just did mine and it does the trick!

tsells likes this.
    04-09-2015 12:53 PM
    I can care less what you people say about me. I can care less because I know that most of you talk the way you do because you got your keyboard balls on. I know that in person something totally different would go down.

Man, as a fellow Patriots Fan, I wish if you were going to act like this, you'd at least change your Avatar. I mean, wasn't "Deflate-gate" bad enough for one year? :-)
    04-09-2015 01:01 PM
    Like wtf

bad experiance when playing a game
    04-09-2015 02:35 PM
    My battery is dying sooo fast as well : (

04-09-2015 08:03 PM
142 1234 ...