Note 4 lollipop sucks

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching to iphone as well. Lollipop is driving me crazy. Unless they address these issues, I think this is the end for Android. I don't see anyone putting up with this.

There are other Android device out there that might be better than Samsung when it comes to updates to the Lollipop OS. I would never switch and become an iSheeple, I am not the religious type. :)

PuterPro

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi All!
Don't get to stop by much, but had a few thoughts on all this.

I just got a Note 4 (Verizon), upgrading from my beloved S4. After porting all the data and Apps over, I upgraded to 5.0.1. Smoothest transfer I've ever done, considering it was from Rooted S4 to Virgin Note 4. Thanks My Backup Pro Migrate Function!
I caught this thread while reading up to get more familiar with the new phone. I'm sure not an Expert on it (YET! LOL!)

Two main thoughts:
1. Battery life & responsiveness. I was SHOCKED at how good the battery life is with this thing!

Now, granted, I didn't get to use it with the older OS for that long so I can't give a good comparison, but Lollipop seems to have a fine responsiveness, with little to no lag anywhere, and the battery lasts me a couple days if I want to take it down below 40% (which I don't normally do ... bad for Li-Ion cells).

I DID fully charge it before 1st use, and took it to the bottom ONCE to establish "top & bottom" points. Now I plan to charge at 40 - 50%. I may get a backup battery, but with the fast charge system it's not the priority it was with my S4 (I had 2 SPARES [Anker] on hand its entire life).

2. To the people who are screaming about how rotten this OS is ... I GET it. Having fought MANY battles with these devices since the very 1st PDA, I GET how frustrating it can be. I even get the SCREAMING post that's filed without calming down first; I, too, have a temper.

But to KEEP screaming, calling people out, Flaming left and right at people who either don't get your point or are even offering numerous things to help you out ... Grow Up! You want to cancel your account here, fine. You will NOT be missed.

{True Story}
I had a Client 25 years ago that asked me when I arrived for my appointment "How are you doing today?".
I replied "Well, I had a flat tire, got SCREAMED at by a customer who screwed up his own computer then blamed both Me and Billy Gates, and just broke a nail below the quick opening something, so now I'm BLEEDING. {total truth} I'm having a TERRIBLE day, thank you!"
He smiled at me, looked me square in the eye and asked "Who decided that?"
I thought for a sec and replied {sheepishly} "Well, I guess that would be ME."
He laughed and said "Well, next time you are having a bad day, you'll remember you don't have to look far for the source. No one or no thing can GIVE you a bad day. Oh, you can have 'em, just don't look too far for the source!"

Wise man.

Took me a while, but I sure have a hell of a lot less bad days. Not that I don't get upset when this complex tech seems to have you in it's cross-hairs for a good beating ... but just sayin' ....
So - to those that are REALLY ticked about this upgrade. Chill. Not saying you shouldn't post your anger and frustration, you SHOULD! How else do the companies know they screwed up? But stop screaming at the people here who are trying to offer solutions. It's just bloody RUDE and STUPID.

Peace out.
PuterPro

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching to iphone as well. Lollipop is driving me crazy. Unless they address these issues, I think this is the end for Android. I don't see anyone putting up with this.

I came from iPhone (3G thru iPhone 5) to Android a little over a year ago and can't imagine ever going back to the iPhone. Apple totally locks down the devices allowing the user little customization and all of my iPhones were jailbroken but I was still limited with what I could do. Keep in mind that iOS is not what it once used to be as far as bugs and stability; they keep releasing firmwares with issues one after another. The only issue I've had since upgrading to Lollipop is with Facebook, not lollipop itself. When I'm in Facebook and click on a link that loads another page about 50 percent of the time it will totally lock up my phone and takes about 20 seconds to close Facebook and recover.... getting annoying.

mike jones35

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Who's out there saying the battery life is good? Upgraded from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and battery still crap. Phone lasts 50% less than on Kit Kat. Can't even get through an 8 hour work day without having to wall hug and leave my phone unattended plugged in. I'm a moderate user

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-04-16-34-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-04-16-34-46.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Who's out there saying the battery life is good? Upgraded from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and battery sill crap. Phone lasts 50% less than on Kit Kat. Can't even get through an 8 hour work day without having to wall hug and leave my phone unattended plugged in. I'm a moderate user

My battery life is great. There needs to be more battery graph details posted to even try to have an idea of what is happening with your battery.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Who's out there saying the battery life is good? Upgraded from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and battery sill crap. Phone lasts 50% less than on Kit Kat. Can't even get through an 8 hour work day without having to wall hug and leave my phone unattended plugged in. I'm a moderate user

GSAM app has been a help to me in the past when trying to better understand battery usage https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&hl=en&token=Xh24ME-A Just sharing as it may help to see more detail than what the native TouchWiz Battery app provides.

I take my Note 4 off the charger around 0600, and it goes back on the charger around 10pm or later. During the workweek I usually end up at 50% or more battery life remaining before putting it back on the charger. Cell signal strength, a rouge app or process, screen on time, screen brightness level, location services, etc. can all have a bearing on battery life throughout the day. Hope that helps.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Complain, complain, complain, that's all I see everyone doing about their Note 4 battery life on Lollipop. My note 4 runs great on its battery and here is the picture that proves it!

Everything I have said in this thread about getting my battery to behave is a huge factor why my battery lasts so long, which none of you agree or want to accept. I doubt I will get 11 hours more out of it today but certainly by lunch time I will need to start charging it.

So you are doing something wrong if you don't get as much battery as I do!

Attachments

• 1433498913892.jpg
    1433498913892.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

mike jones35

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
That's awesome your battery lasts long. My battery goes down 1% every time I turn my screen on to check the time

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Who's out there saying the battery life is good? Upgraded from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and battery still crap. Phone lasts 50% less than on Kit Kat. Can't even get through an 8 hour work day without having to wall hug and leave my phone unattended plugged in. I'm a moderate user

My battery life on Lollipop is just fine. Didn't have to do any tweaks or a factory reset even. Must be something specific to your carrier.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I must be the luckiest phone buyer ever. Every time I buy a phone I find people complaining about this and that and I never seem to have the same issues. At least not the major ones. Every phone has issues and every OS has issues, but I've never had anything that bad. I change phones just to try different things not because I'm miserable using one of them. My Note 4 is great. Battery life is great, minimal lag and only really in the camera to gallery transition and no real issues with anything else.

Sent from my Note 4

mike jones35

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Can someone please give me a step by step guide to downgrade my Koodo Note 4 back to 4.4.4???Model # SM-N910W8. I don't have time to look and figure everything out. Will donate $10 CAD via etransfer if it's successful gatoradeblue604@gmail.com

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I must be the luckiest phone buyer ever. Every time I buy a phone I find people complaining about this and that and I never seem to have the same issues. At least not the major ones. Every phone has issues and every OS has issues, but I've never had anything that bad. I change phones just to try different things not because I'm miserable using one of them. My Note 4 is great. Battery life is great, minimal lag and only really in the camera to gallery transition and no real issues with anything else.

Sent from my Note 4
Same here usually, but the Verizon lollipop upgrade was awful for me. I ended up downgrading to kit kat to fix all the issues I was having. Bluetooth skipping, apps crashing, etc.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Just watched the AC podcast from this past Friday and they agree the Note 4 doesn't work as well on Lollipop as it did on KitKat. Discussion starts around the 49 min mark. Jerry also states that Lollipop (in general) has had a rough start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFTRm7gGkk

I agree with Jerry 100%. Note 4 was a pleasure to use when it was on KitKat, Lollipop crippled it.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
and the whole lollypop episode has caused me to demo a iphone 6+ for a few days didnt like that . now im playing with a blackberry z30 to see if it will work out .
my point is as a business user i just dont need the headache of a bad update. if only google would make it so the update was optional or so you could down grade.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Same here usually, but the Verizon lollipop upgrade was awful for me. I ended up downgrading to kit kat to fix all the issues I was having. Bluetooth skipping, apps crashing, etc.

I don't doubt that people are having problems. I just wonder what causes you to have issues and me not to. We are both on Verizon and using the same phone. You would think experience would be similar.

I'm have and use (right now actually) an iPhone 6 plus as well. I would use it full time if I had those issues. Hope they get it worked out soon with an update.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

meleah3

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I switched from iphone to samsung note 4 and it's the dumbest decision I've ever made. Note 4 crashes all the time, takes forever to load with this new crappy updated os, and in general I came real close to throwing the damn thing out the window this weekend. When are they going to fix the os cuz the current one is a disaster..??

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I switched from iphone to samsung note 4 and it's the dumbest decision I've ever made. Note 4 crashes all the time, takes forever to load with this new crappy updated os, and in general I came real close to throwing the damn thing out the window this weekend. When are they going to fix the os cuz the current one is a disaster..??

Sorry to hear your having trouble with yours. I would recommend you take it back to your carrier as the phone could be defective.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer