Yesterday the update finally rolled out in central Ohio. BIG problem: I had the Verizon Cloud app set to not back up anything, as I saw no reason for the "service." Unfortunately, the updated OS also toggled all the Verizon Cloud backup checkboxes to "on," meaning after the update the system backed up a total of about 5 GB of data that had not previously been stored in the cloud. Consequently I only have 4.8 GB of data remaining for the rest of the month - VZW essentially stole 5 GB from me by virtue of this unrequested change of settings. (This backup took place over 4G without my being aware of it.)

Fortunately my local company store came up with a plan to reimburse me if I go 0-5 GB over my 10 GB limit this month, which is all I really need (and I seldom use more than 5 GB in a month). Kudos to the local guys who made this happen; excellent customer service IMO. But be aware that this could happen to you. I recommend you check your data usage promptly after update to make sure something similar hasn't occurred with your phone.
    jimd1050, Tatt2014 and skatergirl like this.
    04-08-2015 01:13 PM
    Ouch... yeah, that is a problem! I found that after backing up everything up with Samsung Kies, then restoring that backup after Lollipop update, the majority of my Apps performed properly (ie. Usernames, passwords, etc.) and all of my desktop items came back and were where they belonged. However, a lot of the Apps had defaulted general settings that pertain to use. Just like you're saying, it's not just with the Cloud though. I've been resetting App Settings for 3 days now - mostly "Notification Defaults", etc. - just be aware!

Edit: Oh Yeah, GREAT JOB by your local store!!!
    04-08-2015 02:47 PM
    Thanks for sharing that info and glad VZW took care of you! I don't keep any Cloud services turned on to back up other than Google Contacts and Calendar. For me fortunately, I have Unlimited Data, if I do ever Get the update (nothing yet) and decide to install, or hold off for as long as possible.
    04-08-2015 02:51 PM
    Yeah, that's really unfortunate! I never use Verizon's cloud services, and really only have my contacts and calendars back up to my google account. With this update, I also went the route of doing a factory reset and cache reset after the Lollipop update was installed. Kind of a pain to reinstall applications again, but I find this the best way to make sure that things perform optimally. In the past, when I've not done this, I've had unexplained lagginess and battery drain. Not so this time with the factory update - battery and performance have been awesome since the update.
    04-08-2015 04:27 PM
    This is interesting. I disabled almost all of the Verizon apps after my Note 4 Lollipop update, including the Verizon Cloud, so no problems for me there. However, my latest bill showed my wife using almost 5 GB of data on her Lollipop enabled S5. She usually only used 1-2 GB. I asked her what she was doing to use so much more data than normal, she says nothing different. But she won't let me disable apps on her phone, so I should check this. Thanks for the heads-up.
    04-09-2015 10:17 AM
    Today while at work I watched My Galaxy Note 4GB Verizon data plan get rapidly exhausted ...and in about 30 minutes rocket to a grand usage of 7.2 GB. Thanks to a backup attempt of Verizons' Cloud storage app which was toggled in the off position. Verizon phone rep. Quan rapidly identified what was causing (normally 3 months of data usage) this crises and walked me thru the steps of a force stop and uninstall. The Verizon phone rep. offered an apology but could really do nothing else. So I'm 9 days into a new billing cycle with all of my plans 4GB's exhausted and 3.2 GB of overage at $15 a GB. Going to be a long month! Um Um Um Um Ummm! NOT LOVIN IT!
    04-16-2015 06:28 PM
    ok so you all have worries of increased Data usage cuz of the VZW cloud!

I just have noticed in general my phone is using much more Data compared to before the update...i mean in day to day activities!
    04-16-2015 08:04 PM
    Today while at work I watched My Galaxy Note 4GB Verizon data plan get rapidly exhausted ...and in about 30 minutes rocket to a grand usage of 7.2 GB. Thanks to a backup attempt of Verizons' Cloud storage app which was toggled in the off position. Verizon phone rep. Quan rapidly identified what was causing (normally 3 months of data usage) this crises and walked me thru the steps of a force stop and uninstall. The Verizon phone rep. offered an apology but could really do nothing else. So I'm 9 days into a new billing cycle with all of my plans 4GB's exhausted and 3.2 GB of overage at $15 a GB. Going to be a long month! Um Um Um Um Ummm! NOT LOVIN IT!
    I feel you. I just figured out last night to switch to backup only when charging as I only charge at home on wifi. I had seen an increase in data also but not as dramatic as yours. Bummer they're making you pay the overage. Would have been nice as a courtesy to extend you some data for the remainder of your billing cycle. Last month Verizon offered me extra data for points. You know the points you earn for paying your bill? I have like 80,000 points. They offered 1 extra GB of data for like 10,000 points. Maybe call and ask if you can do something like that?

Posted via the Android Central App
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-17-2015 05:48 AM
    I agree you should see if you can use some of your points to get more data this month and I would call Verizon again and ask someone else about reimbursing you for that data loss since it was a Verizon rogue app that caused your data loss.

04-17-2015 07:34 AM
    How did they figure out it was the cloud. I have major data use too but I figured facebook might be the culprit since I never set up the Verizon cloud.
    04-17-2015 08:50 AM
    Hey Kirk click on setting button in your apps selections page. Click on data usage, scroll to bottom of page. Apps and bar graph of total usage clearly presented. Awesome for me since finding this.
    04-17-2015 09:41 AM
    Hey Kirk click on setting button in your apps selections page. Click on data usage, scroll to bottom of page. Apps and bar graph of total usage clearly presented. Awesome for me since finding this.
    Can you please show screen shots of how you got there. Thanks!
    04-17-2015 09:55 AM
    This is how I found out about Facebook app using almost half a gig in just a few days. I'm at a gig of data use after one like 5 days into my plan. Cloud isn't showing very much data. Using Facebook via the browser now.

Attached Thumbnails Serious Data Issue with Verizon Lollipop Update-screenshot_2015-04-17-09-17-26.jpg  
    04-17-2015 11:17 AM