How to delete duplicate apps in application list?

A

AC Question

How to delete duplicate apps in application list

I have 3 phone icon apps in my application list under settings... they all have info when clicked... they are different sizes. .. very strange please help! I have a samsung galaxy note 4 running new 5.0

Christel Adina Loar

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing this exact issue today (among so many others :confused:) following the Lollipop 5.1.1 update on Verizon. I have an LG G Vista.

Can someone please address this? I have done multiple things to try and sort out this and other problems (the erroneous vm notifications, the disappearing data button, missing toggles, sudden inability to deselect notifications box for several apps, etc.), like restarting, clearing cache/data, using the smart cleaning feature, force stops, attempts to uninstall (which suddenly isn't possible for a host of apps that it should be possible to remove)...

But the multiple "PHONE" apps is the one that is worrying me the most. Because they weren't there this morning, prior to the update that used 42% of my monthly data w/o my knowledge, and then messed up my entire life as it relates to my ability to use the phone--I'm disabled and all of my accessible settings/shortcuts are gone, not to mention I couldn't answer/use the phone during this update & had a medical emergency. Medical emergencies are the entire reason I own the phone BTW, so nice going Google! Who else did this idiotic update endanger today?

Sorry. I digress. The 3 "phone" apps (2 w/ the green handset icon, 1 now has a blue & white "reception bars" icon, but earlier it was also the handset icon) all have different amounts of data, and different dates (none of which are the correct download/install/update date, nor are any dated today to coincide with the Lollipop update). So I don't know if any are safe to try and clear or stop or uninstall. I do not know which the new Phone/Messaging Storage app that has appeared might be associated with, if it's related at all. I also don't know if any are malicious (my anti-virus hasn't flagged anything at all today). But their suspicious appearance--along with other "new," repetitious, and duplicate apps--makes me think they are malicious.

Please can someone answer this and try to help me solve the issue?

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
This question was asked a long time ago after KitKat first updated to Lollipop 5.0. Kitkat showed only 1 phone icon, while Lollipop showed either 2 or 3. Turned out that a lot of people on LP confirmed it changed. I don't think its a problem as it might just be something in LP.

Hopefully more people on LP can confirm, or you can contact your carrier... someone there should be able to check the phones they have on-hand to verify.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to delete duplicate apps in application list

As nahoku said this is a Lollipop issue. Even new phones with 5.1.1 out of the box come with 2/3 phone apps when you check in settings - apps - all tab. You don't need to worry too much, there's just one in your app drawer and everything will work fine.