Note 4 or S6?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
So 2 weeks ago I would have take the N4 my eyes closed as an upgrade over my M8, but this week I was infected by the S6's hype, specially after some people reported it to be ''much faster'', the ''UI is way better'' , the screen better even in direct sunlight and finally ''no lags''.
BUT!
Now I am reading some reports that some S6 have screen problems out of the box (scratches, purple tint) and that the UI can lags even stutter here and there!
Given the excessive actual price (though I can bet it will decrease by the end of the month) in my country, +225$ over N4 price, I wonder if the S6 is really better than N4.
For sure the S6 has these advantages:
-Weight and pocket size
-Speaker emplacement
-RAW in camera
-Themes
-Borders would be less prone to dents and scratches.
Now my question is: will the N4 get:
-S6's UI including themes?
-Speed improvements?
What are the advantages of N4 over S6 for you apart the larger screen?

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
If you want the s6 just buy it. Better will be subjective and there will always be a newer better phone than the one. I have a note 4 and like the s6 but won't just buy it because it's newer and better. The note 5 will alo be newer and better. Also the s6 has a smaller screen, and I bought the note for the larger screen so to me the s6 is not even an alternative.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have no experience with the S6 so I can't help you out that front. The Note 4 is a great phone with a removable battery and SD card support. For those two reasons, if it were me and I did not want to wait seven months for the Note 5, I would go with the Note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've seen the S6 in person but its not Note 4. ...nor was it meant to be. The S6 is a phone for the masses. A device meant to appeal to the general public. The Note 4 is a more in-depth tool. Larger, more flexible, with more utility. If the size of the Note 4 is not impractical for you I'd recommend it. Its a device that I think will offer more utility over the longer run.

📐🍷from the sliQ side of womb with the n.Edge🍶📏

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I had an S3 before my N4 and while I do like the N4 larger screen the downside of the increased size IMO is when transporting the N4. I've always used beltclip holsters & I think the size of the N4 looks a little ridiculous hanging on my belt. So to me the N4 screen size is a Catch 22, really nice to use but definitely noticeably larger to transport. And I say that after using my N4 since last October, I still notice the larger size every time I transport it.

Feature wise the biggest difference that stands out to me is the stylus so if you think you'd use it your decision is made. As far as the removable battery & external SD to me that depends on how you actually use your phone. If you swap batteries and/or need/want an extended battery and/or store a tremendous amount the N4 has a higher storage capacity w/ a 128 GB external SD.

So either way you get a really nice phone, state of the art at that. For me I'd get the N4 because of the stylus. Screen size wise either would work for me. While the N4 has a larger screen the S6 isn't what I'd consider a small screen. Only thing I'd change from my phone is I'd get the Edge model primarily for the coolness factor but after you understand the Edge's capabilities you have additional functionality too.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
As someone who moved between all the major phones over the last 2 years i'd honestly say get the Note 4 or if you aren't desperate wait and see what the Note 5 offers. I moved from the S5 back to the Note 3 without hesitation purely on the fact the screen and battery are just plain better. I know the S6 screams all this 'premium' stuff that people will put a case on anyway but the Note series just offers so much more, whatever way you dress it up a bigger screen is just a better all round experience no matter what materials the phone is made out of.

And on the other points you made about the lag... unfortunately every samsung since the s2 (my first samung phone) has suffered from hiccups here and there with the gallery and other places but I wouldn't say its in any way a phone ruining experience. The unfortunate thing for you is that sense on the one m8 is the smoothest and most responsive android overlay other than buying a nexus.

Sorry for rambling, hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As someone who moved between all the major phones over the last 2 years i'd honestly say get the Note 4 or if you aren't desperate wait and see what the Note 5 offers. I moved from the S5 back to the Note 3 without hesitation purely on the fact the screen and battery are just plain better. I know the S6 screams all this 'premium' stuff that people will put a case on anyway but the Note series just offers so much more, whatever way you dress it up a bigger screen is just a better all round experience no matter what materials the phone is made out of.

And on the other points you made about the lag... unfortunately every samsung since the s2 (my first samung phone) has suffered from hiccups here and there with the gallery and other places but I wouldn't say its in any way a phone ruining experience. The unfortunate thing for you is that sense on the one m8 is the smoothest and most responsive android overlay other than buying a nexus.

Sorry for rambling, hope this helps :)
The S6 is made with glass and metal. Nice things. ...but they're so far outweighed by not having removables that I just don't care. Who can look at the Note 4 or Note Edge and say they're not premium devices? The size can indeed be a downside when transporting the devices. ...but that is so far outweighed, for me, that its almost not even worth mentioning. I've tried, really tried, to use other devices happily but I just threw in the towel and realized a device with an S-Pen, large display, and removables is whay I'm happiest with.

I respect that I may be odd and can see why some might like what the S6/S6e offers.

📐He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

Aaron Kanelopoulos

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I have no experience with the S6 so I can't help you out that front. The Note 4 is a great phone with a removable battery and SD card support. For those two reasons, if it were me and I did not want to wait seven months for the Note 5, I would go with the Note 4.

Could not agree more. I am using the Note 4 and it is by far the best phone I've ever own. I hope that samsung goes back the the removable battery and SD card.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The S6 is made with glass and metal. Nice things. ...but they're so far outweighed by not having removables that I just don't care. Who can look at the Note 4 or Note Edge and say they're not premium devices? The size can indeed be a downside when transporting the devices. ...but that is so far outweighed, for me, that its almost not even worth mentioning. I've tried, really tried, to use other devices happily but I just threw in the towel and realized a device with an S-Pen, large display, and removables is whay I'm happiest with.

I respect that I may be odd and can see why some might like what the S6/S6e offers.

??????He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

I completely agree with you. Last year I owned the s5 (twice), the xperia z2 and the one m8 but still ended up back with the note 3 before moving to the note 4 a couple of months ago. The bigger screen and spen and the difference maker when put up against any other phone and not just for watching youtube or netflix etc, typing is much easier too. I've never been a fan of any phone camera but the Note 4s is really good compared to ones ive used before and I bet the s6 wont be any better.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Lamborghini or Bugatti. .. choices, choices... surely anyone would be happy with either!

S-pen, removable battery, removable micro sd, bigger screen makes note 4 the choice for me

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Think all N4 owners are in agreement that Samsung should stick to the Removable Battery and SD storage options for the Note 5! I just pray they listen! if they don't I'm gonna be a N4 owner for a long while then will have to move to something else.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd take the N4 over the S6 everyday. I don't see a comparison at all. How is it less prone to dents or scratching? It's all glass and a metal border. Smaller screen, no S pen, the edges have almost no real use on the S6, non removable battery, no sd card for expandable memory. It isn't even close. They are phones for 2 different crowds in my opinion, not meant to compete with each other.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The guy at best buy thursday was telling me about how the s6 will have same battery life as my note4.. i told him i would have to see that in real world use, because user experiance doesnt reflect it so far.

The s6 is nice, but my note4 is too awesome to give up just to have the new s6.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Is the camera any better on the Note 4 than the s6 or about the same?

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8