Note 4 or S6?

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I just held the s6, the s6 edge, and the m9 while at target. None of them wowed me or made me want to upgrade my note 4. The note's screen (perfect for watching movies), form factor, and zip are perfect for my needs.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys!
I heard that many N4 users got small dents on the metal rim that's why I asked, I won't put a cover on the phone, it will make it even larger and heavier.
There is a dude selling his Note Edge barely used at 550$ instead of the price new at 700$, I really liked the look of the Edge making it different than the classic samsung design, but I tried one today one handed and it felt too large even compared to N4 itself, with N4 I can access most of the screen one handed, only the recent app is hard to reach.
I tried the S6 and S6 Edge, well the S6 Edge is certainly very sexy but well it didn't wow me, the S6 too.
Didn't feel it faster than the N4, gallery and contacts browsing apps were slow compared to my M8.
The screen doesn't look brighter than N4 though it was in a showroom.
The only advantage like some mentioned of the S6, is the weight and size, I hope my friend who has a N4 will let me try it in my shorts pockets at the gym to see if it's annoying or not.
Anyway the Note Edge is Exynos or Snapdragon or depends on the region?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Note 4 is going to look funny in your gym shorts. That's why I use my small iPod touch at the gym.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
When i first got my note 4 i put a tech 21 slim silicon case on it. Added protection without increasing the size of the phone much at all.

I did go ahead a couple of months later and get an otterbox defender, just because i wanted more protection..

The note 4 is pretty awesome, but yes, cheap metal does get dings..

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I was in a delimma whether to go for the S6 or the Note 4. I have never had a Note 3 or 4 or any big sized phone before and wasn't enthusiastic about carriying any phone bigger than the S4/S5/iPhone 6, etc...

After a lot of research........I was almost decided to go for the 128 GB version of the S6 Edge ignoring the fact that it has no expandable storage and no removable battery......all I wanted was a fast phone with a decent camera and a battery that would get me till the end of the day without worrying about charging it.......

So I waited eagerly and then GSM Arena reviewed all the recent camera phones and from then on.......my decision was done choosing the Note 4 over the S6.......

Intergalactic camera shootout: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. Note 4 vs. iPhone 6

From page 2 of that review......

crop-color.jpg

notice how the S6 missed out all the fine details in the red carpet on the balcony...... hard to believe that they both have a 16 MP camera and both have Optical Image Stabilization but at the end of the day, what matters is real world situations not whitepaper.....

adding to the fact that I wasn't happy about the S6 having a smaller battery than the S5 despite it having a faster CPU, better camera, and much better screen, it made no sense, I knew the phone wouldn't last more than 4 to 5 hours of heavy use and I was right.....just look at the S6 subforum and you will see how people are not happy about the batter and there is no magical way that any OS update would help as the battery is just too small for this power hungry phone.

I can't be any happier about my Note 4 really, best phone I ever had in terms of camera, a battery that lasts me 2 days easily, excellent screen, removable battery, memory card slot, S-Pen, really, it's on a league of its own.

Just my 2 cents worth

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I was in a delimma whether to go for the S6 or the Note 4. I have never had a Note 3 or 4 or any big sized phone before and wasn't enthusiastic about carriying any phone bigger than the S4/S5/iPhone 6, etc...

After a lot of research........I was almost decided to go for the 128 GB version of the S6 Edge ignoring the fact that it has no expandable storage and no removable battery......all I wanted was a fast phone with a decent camera and a battery that would get me till the end of the day without worrying about charging it.......

So I waited eagerly and then GSM Arena reviewed all the recent camera phones and from then on.......my decision was done choosing the Note 4 over the S6.......

Intergalactic camera shootout: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. Note 4 vs. iPhone 6

From page 2 of that review......

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/galaxy-s6-note4-s5-iphone6-shootout/crops/crop-color.jpg

notice how the S6 missed out all the fine details in the red carpet on the balcony...... hard to believe that they both have a 16 MP camera and both have Optical Image Stabilization but at the end of the day, what matters is real world situations not whitepaper.....

adding to the fact that I wasn't happy about the S6 having a smaller battery than the S5 despite it having a faster CPU, better camera, and much better screen, it made no sense, I knew the phone wouldn't last more than 4 to 5 hours of heavy use and I was right.....just look at the S6 subforum and you will see how people are not happy about the batter and there is no magical way that any OS update would help as the battery is just too small for this power hungry phone.

I can't be any happier about my Note 4 really, best phone I ever had in terms of camera, a battery that lasts me 2 days easily, excellent screen, removable battery, memory card slot, S-Pen, really, it's on a league of its own.

Just my 2 cents worth

Wow. Thanks for the info and the link. I hadn't seen that review before.

I had the note 1 and 2 before but went off trail with a Windows phone (1520) and my current m8 and have been looking for a replacement. I enjoy the m8,but the camera just isn't good enough, and while the 1520's camera was excellent... well we will leave it at that... Lol

I have a couple more months on the m8 so I am biding my time watching and researching and the Note 4 looks to be my first choice still.

If you don't mind my asking, does the note still have the Wolfson DACs in it? I love my boom sound speakers but I have some good wired and Bluetooth headset to use too.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind my asking, does the note still have the Wolfson DACs in it? I love my boom sound speakers but I have some good wired and Bluetooth headset to use too.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8
Dunno what's that bro. But kepe in mind, my review of the Note 4 and bashing of the S6 is not biased as that was the phone I wanted for a while, then steered away after seeing that review and added things together with regards to battery, and it being double the price of the Note 4 for the 128 GB version. No thanks. I bet you that thing will lose half its value after 3 months of using it and you wouldn't be able to sell it for more thna 50% of its original value. Huge loss IMO

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Dunno what's that bro. But kepe in mind, my review of the Note 4 and bashing of the S6 is not biased as that was the phone I wanted for a while, then steered away after seeing that review and added things together with regards to battery, and it being double the price of the Note 4 for the 128 GB version. No thanks. I bet you that thing will lose half its value after 3 months of using it and you wouldn't be able to sell it for more thna 50% of its original value. Huge loss IMO

Yep the S6 is pretty expensive for what it is, knowing the S5 is now at 400$ when it begun at the same price as S6...while the N4 can't get lower than actual price.
If you get the EXYNOS version you will get Wolfson DAC which is better audio quality than the snapdragon N4 and on par with M8/M9 for earphones plugged and BT, that's what Head Fi dudes said.
Damn! the Note Edge is snapdragon in my country, only the N4 and S6 are Exynos

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep the S6 is pretty expensive for what it is, knowing the S5 is now at 400$ when it begun at the same price as S6...while the N4 can't get lower than actual price.
If you get the EXYNOS version you will get Wolfson DAC which is better audio quality than the snapdragon N4 and on par with M8/M9 for earphones plugged and BT, that's what Head Fi dudes said.
Damn! the Note Edge is snapdragon in my country, only the N4 and S6 are Exynos

They only sell the Exynos versions here in Dubai :( I thought the Snappy Dragon was much faster and maybe that's why I get lag when I launch the task manager to turn off one app after the other, it is not smoooth and is jerky in motion so I had to turn off animations.

Going back to Kit Kat in a while I miss it more and miss the better battery + I don't remember any lag in Kit Kat

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Coming from the AiP.V I was on the quest for something "different" than what I was using. So, I share the same sentiments with the others on the SGN.IV, especially with the removable back panel for battery and SD removal/replacement.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
They only sell the Exynos versions here in Dubai :( I thought the Snappy Dragon was much faster and maybe that's why I get lag when I launch the task manager to turn off one app after the other, it is not smoooth and is jerky in motion so I had to turn off animations.

Going back to Kit Kat in a while I miss it more and miss the better battery + I don't remember any lag in Kit Kat

This is weird, I heard mixed reports about the LP update on N4, many said it makes the phone much faster and no more lags and some said it's slower and laggier!
I know Exynos version uses more battery (just slightly) but the huge advantage is the audio quality, nobody mentioned the N4 Exynos being slower than Snapdragon

allipki

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was already twice in store trying to compare my note 4 to s6 with same challenge like you guys, should I switch or not.
My bottom line is to stay with N4.
Number one reason, I so get used to big and gorgeous screen that s6 looks too small even before n4 I had s5.
Overall s6 is the great phone, looks and feels like iPhone 6 and will be much easier for one hand operation.
I use sd card in my note 4 and don't want to loose that option as well, removable battery doesn't matter for me since I never change it.

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I was already twice in store trying to compare my note 4 to s6 with same challenge like you guys, should I switch or not.
My bottom line is to stay with N4.
Number one reason, I so get used to big and gorgeous screen that s6 looks too small even before n4 I had s5.
Overall s6 is the great phone, looks and feels like iPhone 6 and will be much easier for one hand operation.
I use sd card in my note 4 and don't want to loose that option as well, removable battery doesn't matter for me since I never change it.
it's not about changing the battery, it's the fact that the S6 has a small tiny battery even smaller than the S5 yet boasts better hardware features and camera, it just cannot provide enough juice for it to operate for more than 4 hours under heavy usage. That's where the Note 4 shines, it will easily last you 1.5 days with heavy usage

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about removable battery, though the SD card is an advantage for sure.
I just remember that I use sticky pad in my car dashboard as the suction cups can do damage, my M8 metal back stick to it like super glue but I have no clue about the N4?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
What are the advantages of N4 over S6 for you apart the larger screen?

Well, that's one of the key deal-breaker advantages. I'll never use a smaller screen again.

I'll edit to eliminate reference to things others have mentioned, but once you use a big screen, I predict you won't go back. It is more important than it seems. You'll only need 1 use for the S-pen to make it a keeper.

It will be interesting to see what the Note 5 has; won't be too long now. If you don't like the feature set it will be easy enough to pick up a 4 on eBay or what not. I'd wait to see.

Michael Bardsley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I've not compared processor and RAM between the two, but I'm a Note 4 owner and love the crap out of it. My only issue is I let the Lollipop 5 upgrade in, and I'm regretting it. I have screen lag, battery drain, and small issues like mis-functioning auto-capitalization in text and emails over 1 line long. I might even bite the bullet and revert back. Still, I love my SGN4.