H and Wifi symbol at the same time on Lollipop?

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have a Galaxy Note 4. I put it in airplane mode before going to bed, and this morning I took it off and I saw that I had BOTH H and Wifi. This isn't very normal. Usually the wifi symbol takes over the H (coverage) until I take off wifi. Here's a screen shot. There is no ! to mean that there is no coverage...

So.... What does this mean? :S Thank you!NormalAppImage(2).png

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: H and Wifi symbol on Lollipop?

Samsung devices have the ability to show the carrier signal and Wi-Fi at the same time.
It has happened to my GS4 and to my GS5.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Samsung devices have the ability to show the carrier signal and Wi-Fi at the same time.
It has happened to my GS4 and to my GS5.
Really? I find this VERY strange, and I didn't have this before. This is something new to me. It has just started to appear recently... Usually the H disappears and the wifi takes its spot, keeping the GSM coverage meter. But now I'm getting both... Is this something new with Lollipop or something :S?

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Well, this morning I took it off of Airplane mode, and the Wifi took over the H for about 30 seconds, and then separated... Emm... What? :S

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Do you have download booster turned on? That is exactly what it does.
Good Luck!
Ron

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Really? I find this VERY strange, and I didn't have this before. This is something new to me. It has just started to appear recently... Usually the H disappears and the wifi takes its spot, keeping the GSM coverage meter. But now I'm getting both... Is this something new with Lollipop or something :S?

It's not new, like I said before, it has happened to my GS4, which was my very first Samsung phone ever. I got it back in June or July 2013 and it came with android jelly bean.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site

It's not new, like I said before, it has happened to my GS4, which was my very first Samsung phone ever. I got it back in June or July 2013 and it came with android jelly bean.
Then why is it today together? And not like the other screen shot? uploadfromtaptalk1429164072171.jpg

This makes NO sense.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
This is not normal just to let you all know. I upgraded from boc3 to boc5 and it is completely normal. I've had it for a few days now and I have never seen them separate since. So, it must have been a bug in the Os. After having owned numerous samsung devices it was the first time I had seen it. Strange glitch.

Please close the thread as it was resolved. Thank you anyways.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It usually has to do with a caller ID app staying active. If you go look at S6 screenshots there are a lot that show both symbols but the phone will use wifi mainly for the data.

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
You have location services on. Could it be you have it on high accuracy/power saving, where it is using your cell towers to triangulate your position?

I notice this happening when I have location services on.

Posted via the Android Central App

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It usually has to do with a caller ID app staying active. If you go look at S6 screenshots there are a lot that show both symbols but the phone will use wifi mainly for the data.
Hmm. Curious. Before boc3 I had kk and I didn't have that issue. Same apps loaded on Lollipop boc3. Had the issue. Updated to boc5, dirty flash (no hard reset, so same apps and configuration) no issue. Some days on boc3 I'd take it off of airplane mode and it wouldn't happen. Other days it would. I don't believe it has to do with any specific app as I can't reproduce it on another build with all the same apps and configuration...

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You have location services on. Could it be you have it on high accuracy/power saving, where it is using your cell towers to triangulate your position?

I notice this happening when I have location services on.

Posted via the Android Central App
It happened regardless of the type of location services active... :-( of this I'm sure.