Hi everyone
    just bought a new Note 4. I was so excited, started to draw and... noticed a screen problem. On the lower right side on the screen, my drawing was a little bit off. Not much, about 2 mm, but of course nobody want to see that on new device. So I took a ruler and made grid. Attached file shows what happens. It made a sphere, so something pushes pointer out of center point. Not the speaker, cause its a bit in different place. Must say, that pointer acts weird on the corners also - bounces, get off screen, back on it etc, while s-pen is stable.
    I don't have Samsung's or other's magnetic case, actually I don't have any.
    Does anyone has the same problem? Is there any chance to fix it without getting a new Note or taking in to service point?
    Looking forward for your help and opinions
    Konrad
    Attached Thumbnails Screen problem, pointer's off s-pen position-note-4_problem.png  
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-13-2015 12:35 PM
    wow, clever diagnostics!!!

I tried the same on mine and nope, I don't see that 'bubble'. Are you using any smart case with magnets or something like that?

It does seem to coincide with the speaker position (which has a magnet, of course). But yeah, if this is not cause by a case, I'd start the warranty exchange process...
    04-13-2015 01:04 PM
    interesting... i read your post and started drawing lines on my snote...i found a weird "dead spot" on my screen also however i end up with a blank circular spot where i cannot draw with the pen. weirdly if i use my finger the lines are fine.....i tried it on snote, action note, and sketchbook, all with the same weird result. next stop i'll call verizon and see if i can get them to send me a new pen. my "dead spot" is about 3/4 of the way down the right side of each "sheet".

Screen problem, pointer's off s-pen position-tempfileforshare_2015-04-13-15-44-44.jpg
    04-13-2015 05:46 PM
    called verizon, had them troubleshoot....my note 8 spen left the same blank space....so they are sending a replacement phone...booooo
    04-13-2015 06:48 PM
    I tried it as well. Verizon Note 4 Lollipop. Verizon Wireless shell/clip combo, all plastic. My entire screen seemed to work fine with my s-pen, however, I didn't use a ruler, just freehand covering most only the screen. I would definitely shoot for a warranty replacement if I were you.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Rukbat likes this.
    04-14-2015 12:13 AM
    I tried it as well. Verizon Note 4 Lollipop. Verizon Wireless shell/clip combo, all plastic. My entire screen seemed to work fine with my s-pen, however, I didn't use a ruler, just freehand covering most only the screen. I would definitely shoot for a warranty replacement if I were you.

yes, the replacement is on it's way.....
    04-14-2015 09:11 AM
    wow, clever diagnostics!!!

I tried the same on mine and nope, I don't see that 'bubble'. Are you using any smart case with magnets or something like that?

It does seem to coincide with the speaker position (which has a magnet, of course). But yeah, if this is not cause by a case, I'd start the warranty exchange process...

They're goona replace mine, but don't have any on stock at this moment. It was 910C with Exynos. Actually I bought one on last thursday, had to change it cause it was shutting down every 5 minutes. One I described with the picture and pen problem was the second. Both 910C. I dropped by to other store and 910X which is demo model was working just fine. Left point exactly at the spot i drew it on.

Can you tell me which core version is yours?
    04-14-2015 11:39 AM
    interesting... i read your post and started drawing lines on my snote...i found a weird "dead spot" on my screen also however i end up with a blank circular spot where i cannot draw with the pen. weirdly if i use my finger the lines are fine.....i tried it on snote, action note, and sketchbook, all with the same weird result. next stop i'll call verizon and see if i can get them to send me a new pen. my "dead spot" is about 3/4 of the way down the right side of each "sheet".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempFileForShare_2015-04-13-15-44-44.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	171380
    They're goona replace mine, but don't have any on stock at this moment. It was 910C with Exynos. Actually I bought one on last thursday, had to change it cause it was shutting down every 5 minutes. One I described with the picture and pen problem was the second. Both 910C. I dropped by to other store and 910X which is demo model was working just fine. Left point exactly at the spot i drew it on.

04-14-2015 11:40 AM

i've got a verizon n910v...i haven't had any other problems with mine.
    04-15-2015 09:48 AM
    None of the odd screens are using a case with a magnet in it are they?
    Looks like what it would show.
    Good Luck!
    Ron
    04-16-2015 02:14 PM
    It's seems they're not, but it certainly looks like magnetic interference. Can't remember if the test menu has S-Pen calibration or not...
    04-18-2015 03:39 AM
    Wow, that's really annoying especially if you're an artist.

I use the same technique to check how's the pen on my Surface Pro.

I'll test it and get back to see if it also has a dead spot.

In meantime just replace could be a issue with the touch itself or a dead spot.
    04-18-2015 03:56 AM
    None of the odd screens are using a case with a magnet in it are they?
    Looks like what it would show.
    Good Luck!
    Ron
    No, I don't have any case. I actually wait for new one, my 3rd in a week, but store doesn't have any on stock right now. I hope it finally would be a perfect one. Cheers!
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-18-2015 12:06 PM
    1) It's a manufacturing tolerance defect in the screen manufacture (or the screen calibration, if there is any - I don't know the specifics down to that level), it has nothing to do with the chipset, Exynos or Qualcom.

2) Since the S-Pen doesn't work by electromagnetism, a magnet shouldn't have any effect. (Edit - I just tried moving the "pen cursor" with a strong magnet - it does has enough of an effect to cause about that much distortion. Strange, it shouldn't. Any physicists here familiar enough with electric field work to comment?)
    04-20-2015 05:59 PM
    mine works fine.. verizon
    04-20-2015 06:26 PM
    Mine does the same thing. No case or anything. Really annoying.

04-20-2015 06:45 PM
    Might be some of the coils in the 'sensing' layer Synycalwon quotes that got shifted. Either by a magnet at some point, a manufacturing defect, or a phone drop strong enough to dislodge that portion of the sensor. Either way, it's a hardware issue and should either be replaced or repaired.
    04-20-2015 08:38 PM
    I have more than a bubble. The phone is brand new from a Sprint Corporate Store.

My "blank" area runs from top to bottom. And its about 3/8" wide. Theres also a small margin at the top that doesn't work.

This is only happens when using the effect stylus.

I also noticed the little circle "target" disappears in the effected area.
    07-14-2015 09:44 AM
    1) It's a manufacturing tolerance defect in the screen manufacture (or the screen calibration, if there is any - I don't know the specifics down to that level), it has nothing to do with the chipset, Exynos or Qualcom.

2) Since the S-Pen doesn't work by electromagnetism, a magnet shouldn't have any effect. (Edit - I just tried moving the "pen cursor" with a strong magnet - it does has enough of an effect to cause about that much distortion. Strange, it shouldn't. Any physicists here familiar enough with electric field work to comment?)
    05-10-2016 04:27 AM
    Hello all. I had the same issue with my note 4 but had 2 dead spots on the right of the screen and also the pen wouldn't activate apps if the icon was in the dead spot. The phone was in a flip type case with a maget on the back. When I removed the phone from the case the dead spots disappear.
    05-10-2016 04:32 AM
    Hello all. I had the same issue with my note 4 but had 2 dead spots on the right of the screen and also the pen wouldn't activate apps if the icon was in the dead spot. The phone was in a flip type case with a maget on the back. When I removed the phone from the case the dead spots disappear.
    Yes, magnets are a known problem. Unfortunately and ironically, many people still don't know about it.
    05-10-2016 07:40 AM