Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I take my phone off the charger around 8am and it might last until 2pm and it's at 20-30%. What is considered heavy usage?

Posted via the Android Central App

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I take my phone off the charger around 8am and it might last until 2pm and it's at 20-30%. What is considered heavy usage?

For me I am on fb email videos games all throughout the day

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
3 hrs on screen time. Look atmy signal though I've been home almost all day. Lollipop might have made it worse

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-18-17-55-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-18-17-55-02.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 255
  • Screenshot_2015-04-18-17-55-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-18-17-55-52.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 256

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Just trying to learn, here... What does being around a lot of other people have to do with anything? Thank you

It's a case-by-case basis and depends on the venue. But, chances are likely that if you are around a huge amount of people (25,000, 40,000, 70,000, etc) that your smartphone will experience a weaker cellular signal because several thousand smartphones are all trying to connect and maintain a connection with very few cell towers/antennas. The cell towers/antennas get overloaded with too many connections and can't handle all of them at the same time.

When this (weaker signal) happens your smartphone has to work harder to search for and maintain the connection to the cell tower. This causes the battery to drain faster as a result which causes the battery/phone to get warmer and sometimes very hot which over a long period of time damages the battery.

But, if the cell service companies (at&t, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mo, etc) plan for extra capacity (ie bring in more temporary cell towers, trucks) to handle all the extra connections then you may or may not have any issues.

One sporting venue I visit a lot had great Verizon service but as more people started to arrive when it got closer to game time, my phone became unusable for data, the phone worked hard to find the signal, and the battery drained very quickly as a result.

But, over the last 2 years it has gotten much better. Now I get a great data connection at the games all the time (even with 20,000+ people around me). My guess is that Verizon improved the coverage there (maybe just for the game times or maybe added more permanent towers).

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Terrible battery life on lollipop. Thirty percent down and SoT is less than an hour! Android system is always draining and my phone wakes up constantly. For the first week or so after I downloaded and installed lollipop, my battery was great. I installed the newest Att update and it's garbage. I've cleared cache partition as well. Not factory reseting because that would be a huge hassle. Would be nice to not have to charge my Note 4 like I did my iPhone! I lost a percent just typing this...blah.:thumbdown:

Attachments

• 1429470756153.jpg
    1429470756153.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 1429470764276.jpg
    1429470764276.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 1429470771228.jpg
    1429470771228.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 1429470782873.jpg
    1429470782873.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 78

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Terrible battery life on lollipop. Thirty percent down and SoT is less than an hour! Android system is always draining and my phone wakes up constantly. For the first week or so after I downloaded and installed lollipop, my battery was great. I installed the newest Att update and it's garbage. I've cleared cache partition as well. Not factory reseting because that would be a huge hassle. Would be nice to not have to charge my Note 4 like I did my iPhone! I lost a percent just typing this...blah.:thumbdown:

Do... the... reset..
;-)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is amazing, & I am on this thing all the time, & I use it as my primary Kindle reader in the evening, too.

And, I've been taking a lot of videos lately and uploading them to YouTube directly from the phone.

My battery life is still usually 35%to 40% in the evening after a heavy day of use and reading.

I just plug it in at night before I go to bed regardless of how low the battery is.

A lot of people are concerned about their battery life, are probably using the phone a lot more after installing lollipop, and they might even need to replace their batteries... Batteries do not last as long with very heavy users.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-19-14-48-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-19-14-48-44.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 167

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Posted this in another thread.

Something important about reporting battery times and comparing. While I'm not doubting the knowledge of the battery readings, there is something I think people leave out.

So people are like "Omg I don't get 7 hours of screen on time! I only get 4!or 5!"

Remember, some people are only posting their screen on time. If I charge my phone to 100% and the unplug it and use it CONSTANTLY (checking Facebook, watching some youtube videos, texting, etc. Not letting the screen go off for longer than a few moments) I can get 6 or 7 hours or more of screen on time. BUT if you use your phone like a normal person, and it sits in standby for awhile, that time that it's in standby is still taking away from your screen on time. Which I think is why we see some people only reporting 5 hours or 4 hours. If you leave your phone alone for quote awhile, then use it a lot for quick bursts, remember that the time between use is still taking power and reducing your screen on time. :)

Again, I'm not saying there are people who don't get 6 or 7 hours of screen on time but how you use your phone is going to variably affect how much you get. Sometimes I think we forget this!

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
This thread along with similar others is interesting. Though for me, I'm totally ignorant in reading/understanding the charts/graphs. With that in mind, I wouldn't know if my battery and usage is efficient or not.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
What's your total screen on time over that time frame as well as total uptime (can't tell from your screenshot)? So it's hard to gauge how that compares to heavy use (which equates to using the phone with the screen on for long durations or using an app that keeps the phone awake for a long time).

What is the most meaningful way to measure that? Should I fully charge it and wait till the battery goes down and then take the reading or what?

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
This thread along with similar others is interesting. Though for me, I'm totally ignorant in reading/understanding the charts/graphs. With that in mind, I wouldn't know if my battery and usage is efficient or not.
While I don't consider myself a "heavy user" or a "road warrior," here's my battery use shot:

Screenshot_2015-04-19-18-39-25_zpsglt4isjz.jpg

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I dont have a Note 4, I have a Note 2, but I carry a portable battery with me, with built in micro-usb cable, so worst case, I plug it in for a bit at work and I at least get a chunk of lost power back. Even if I was to carry a extra fully charged battery, when I get a Note 4, it will probably be in a Otterbox case, cause I'm paranoid like that, so popping off the case to change the battery=not happening easily.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that would be the best way. Then for screen on time stats click on "Screen" under the battery graph (should list total screen on time). For total uptime not sure with the new Lollipop battery graph. Some carrier versions seem to state that directly under the battery graph while others do not. IMO that graph and battery stats are virtually worthless now compared to how it was reported in KitKat where it was very straight forward. The new graph/stats are more about trying to predict how much time you have left based on how you're using the phone. :(

Is amazing how Google "fixes" things to make them better. I agree the battery stats are useless

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If you don't turn your mobile data or wifi on or just turn on only when you need it you will have a lot of %. I am always on either on wifi or on 3G. With heavy usage with 3.5 hours of screen on time and with no gaming my battery lasts for around 12 hours. After 12 hours the remaining % is around 10.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is for the most part great. At my job, it's tends to be crap because of poor reception but as long as I don't use it all day I'll have anywhere from 20-50% life when I get home. That's usually unplugged anywhere from 6-9 am depending on when I have to be at work. On an average day outside of work, I usually am down to about 40-50% before I go to bed, sometimes less. Just depends on how much I play around on my phone all day

I've had it for close to two months now and I definitely have been using the hell out of it lately. My ipad has become so slow I tend to use my phone much more these days, plus it's just a badass phone so it's hard to put it down :)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Today, I uploaded 2 Youtube videos, have been streaming internet radio while connected to Bluetooth for over 2.5 hours, and emailed 30Mb of photos, had 3 hours of screen on time and I have 40% battery life left. Pretty good, I think!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-20-21-49-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-20-21-49-03.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 106

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech