Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone heard of S health causing it? That's about the only Samsung app I use and one of the few I haven't troubleshot because I don't want to give up the pedometer. This issue has followed me through 2 Note 4s (replaced one) and many, many factory resets. Even sync off doesn't fix the issue.

I have S Health disabled. I use Google Now but don't have much on it.

Yeah power saving is WiFi and GPS. I never turn my WiFi off, I had the same issue as you with my S5. I thought at first there was a bug and the WiFi line never showed it off. I finally tracked down the app doing it, but don't remember what it was.

Also do you have a Samsung account that is syncing anything? It might take running through all the apps showing up in "apps" and "data" in the battery graph. You have something that is reporting your location a lot or syncing a lot.

Also, I remember reading this, you can go to your Google settings and delete location history. That and using less than high accuracy for location, can help. I also deleted location history, but I don't even want a location history, don't know if you do through.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is the kind of stuff that irritates me about Android. With either KitKat or one of the KK updates, you had to have root to use a wakelock app. There is a very good free one written by a Dev on xda and it will track down every kind of wakelock you have. I had my S5 rooted and used it on there and that is how I tracked down my issue.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to find out my battery issues as well. Just last night while on airplane mode, I lost 13 % overnight without touching the phone. Is that normal?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did too on my note 3

I think you should first try deleting the location history in the Google settings. If that doesn't work, try turning off Google Now for a day or two and see if that makes a difference and how much.

I still think an app is reporting location info to Google. The thing with that, sometimes it is obvious, like a location based app such as Google Now, but many times it is something you don't realize, like some Note app or game that has ZERO to do with location. You can only start with the obvious ones though to weed out.

I never turn off my WiFi or GPS on my phone and I don't have all those walelocks, but I've gotten several location based apps under control.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you should first try deleting the location history in the Google settings. If that doesn't work, try turning off Google Now for a day or two and see if that makes a difference and how much.

I still think an app is reporting location info to Google. The thing with that, sometimes it is obvious, like a location based app such as Google Now, but many times it is something you don't realize, like some Note app or game that has ZERO to do with location. You can only start with the obvious ones though to weed out.

I never turn off my WiFi or GPS on my phone and I don't have all those walelocks, but I've gotten several location based apps under control.

Under battery stats it doesn't show Location being accessed much. Does that bar show GPS access only?

Attachments

• 1430341416421.jpg
    1430341416421.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 33

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Under battery stats it doesn't show Location being accessed much. Does that bar show GPS access only?

I think it has to be showing less than what is being used. I have one app that access every hour at minimum, every two minutes during certain weather. It isn't showing all my access at all on thst graph.

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I think I fit in the heavy category. I would like to know what the rest of you heavy users battery is like. Lol I wake up around 630 am and I probably would be close to having a dead battery by 3pm then by 8 or 9pm. It is almost 1am and I have 53%. I have more than one battery so I don't have to worry about charging it but I just wonder what everyone elses life is like.

I put every phone to the test.

Posted via the Android Central App

About 6 hours Screen on time.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm lucky to get 4 hrs sot. My iPhone 6plus kills this phone in battery. Still tweaking settings until I give up on it.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I average about 4.5 hours of SOT on mine. Around 12-15 hours of total usage. Rooted running a lollipop build.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
There is a way to use the Wakelock Detector on unrooted Note 4, and I verified it works with Lollipop! The description of wakelock detector says: If not rooted, this alternative solution might help: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/present?ueb=true

That URL is a pwr point that talks you through the process. I did it to my phone and got all kinds of data I'll post eventually. I know this thread has kinda been hijacked from the original purpose, but I think people will like having the link above. I'll look for a different thread or start a new one with specifics on my battery issues in hopes others find it useful.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There is a way to use the Wakelock Detector on unrooted Note 4, and I verified it works with Lollipop! The description of wakelock detector says: If not rooted, this alternative solution might help: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/present?ueb=true

That URL is a pwr point that talks you through the process. I did it to my phone and got all kinds of data I'll post eventually. I know this thread has kinda been hijacked from the original purpose, but I think people will like having the link above. I'll look for a different thread or start a new one with specifics on my battery issues in hopes others find it useful.

Oh this isn't a highjack, this info is good for this thread.

I'll check this out, thanks!

OK, just looked through that. It is great we can get it to work again, it is absurd we have to go through all that. You would think they would want us to be happy with our phone's performance and that just gives info, it doesn't do anything.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is what wakelock detector gave me last night. Today I tried disabling Google App and I archived all my hangout chats (hangouts does my sms too) because I read somewhere that can cause it to use a lot of battery.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to help as my wakelocks are still plentiful. I'll try to check WLD later to see what it was this time. I did notice the actual location line showed up more now.

Attachments

• 1430444204221.jpg
    1430444204221.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 1430444239107.jpg
    1430444239107.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 40

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is what wakelock detector gave me last night. Today I tried disabling Google App and I archived all my hangout chats (hangouts does my sms too) because I read somewhere that can cause it to use a lot of battery.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to help as my wakelocks are still plentiful. I'll try to check WLD later to see what it was this time. I did notice the actual location line showed up more now.

I suggest that you disable DT Ignite right NOW. It may or may not be the source of your issue, but it is bloatware whose purpose is to load more bloatware. Get rid of it.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I suggest that you disable DT Ignite right NOW. It may or may not be the source of your issue, but it is bloatware whose purpose is to load more bloatware. Get rid of it.

I disabled DT Ignite so we will see how tomorrow goes. I noticed today my phone had fewer wakes from Hangouts by a lot, but Google Wallet jumped up to over 900x and Vzw location services were pinged exactly 199x - what's interesting is that Samsung Push services were also exactly 199x.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Didn't work. I then yesterday tried a factory reset AND didn't reinstall everything and the wake locks are there. I'm thinking it's a lollipop thing?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I disabled DT Ignite so we will see how tomorrow goes. I noticed today my phone had fewer wakes from Hangouts by a lot, but Google Wallet jumped up to over 900x and Vzw location services were pinged exactly 199x - what's interesting is that Samsung Push services were also exactly 199x.

I have that on my phone too, what is DT Ignite actually?

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
. . . what is DT Ignite actually?
Here's an excerpt:

A company called Digital Turbine has a new service – called Ignite — for Android handsets that allows a carrier to install apps on customers’ smartphones “for more advertising revenue” whenever it wishes. In other words, carriers can now push garbage apps onto their users handsets to make a few bucks here and there whether the user wants it or not, and it seems as if the practice is perfectly legal.

From this Forbes article: Carriers Can Now Install Apps On Android Handsets Without Customers' Permission

Inquisitive1

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
At about 6 pm I'm on 35-45%.wifi is on all day and I get constant notifications (FB what's app, twitter and IG), play music almost the entire day.
I usually charge by lunch though as I'm a Human Services Professional and never know when my job will send me on a client accompaniment or emergency outreach. I refuse to sit in a welfare office or hospital for hours with nothing to do;especially when my clients have an electronic to occupy their time
😄

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae