05-11-2015 11:15 PM
121 123 ...
tools
    I think I fit in the heavy category. I would like to know what the rest of you heavy users battery is like. Lol I wake up around 630 am and I probably would be close to having a dead battery by 3pm then by 8 or 9pm. It is almost 1am and I have 53%. I have more than one battery so I don't have to worry about charging it but I just wonder what everyone elses life is like.

I put every phone to the test.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-17-2015 11:53 PM
    Mines a beast too. I'm a pretty heavy user, and I'm at like 70% after a work day. Sometimes I want to push it hard to see how fast it will drain and it still just trucks along slowly. I love it.

Also have two batteries, but haven't even had a need to touch my spare.

04-18-2015 12:44 AM
    It's the screen time that matters. I get 5 hours of screen time and battery percentage is under 10%. On Lollipop.
    ejcrossl likes this.
    04-18-2015 01:50 AM
    Hmm... I can easily get through a work day, with not being a heavy user. But the other day I was at the doctor with horrible coverage for 2 hours between waits and tests, and I was on my phone the entire time. From 7:45am off the charger until getting home around 3:30 for lunch I was at 35% battery life with about 3 hours of SoT. So I could have pushed 4 hours of SoT, no wifi, heavy usage with bad / ok coverage throughout the day. So maybe 9 hours of heavy usage total?
    04-18-2015 02:29 AM
    Hmm... I can easily get through a work day, with not being a heavy user. But the other day I was at the doctor with horrible coverage for 2 hours between waits and tests, and I was on my phone the entire time. From 7:45am off the charger until getting home around 3:30 for lunch I was at 35% battery life with about 3 hours of SoT. So I could have pushed 4 hours of SoT, no wifi, heavy usage with bad / ok coverage throughout the day. So maybe 9 hours of heavy usage total?
    Bluetooth/Location on? So weird in about such time be at 35%.

Playing games? =)
    04-18-2015 03:45 AM
    Bluetooth/Location on? So weird in about such time be at 35%.

Playing games? =)
    No, no games. GPS on if needed. I hadn't used it that day.

I think you highly underestimate the power of low coverage xD.
    mumfoau likes this.
    04-18-2015 05:05 AM
    I get 4.5 to 5 hrs screen on, but I also have 3 Bluetooth devices connected at any given time, high accuracy GPS, WiFi and mobile on always... In other words: the battery life on this beast is excellent enough that I don't have to obsess about it like I did with my S3.

04-18-2015 05:14 AM
    I get five hours of screen on time regularly and do not turn off any settings others than wifi when I'm not at home. I've had the phone a month now and only been below 20% once at the end of they day. I bought a spare battery but have not used it yet.
    04-18-2015 06:30 AM
    I must be doing something wrong because I am typically down to 50% by lunchtime and I usually can't get home by 6 without charging it.

04-18-2015 08:53 AM
    I must be doing something wrong because I am typically down to 50% by lunchtime and I usually can't get home by 6 without charging it.

I'm more like you are

Attached Thumbnails Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-screenshot_2015-04-18-10-42-22.jpg   Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-screenshot_2015-04-18-10-42-03.jpg  
    04-18-2015 09:44 AM

I'm with you ajneuman...my battery dips below 50% by lunch time and then continues to drop througjt the day, with minimal SoT. Is it due to poor 4g signal, and the phone e constantly looking for a signal? I just bought a spare battery and charger to compensate...
    brick58 likes this.
    04-18-2015 09:49 AM
    I'm with you ajneuman...my battery dips below 50% by lunch time and then continues to drop througjt the day, with minimal SoT. Is it due to poor 4g signal, and the phone e constantly looking for a signal? I just bought a spare battery and charger to compensate...
    If you are in an area where the 4g signal is weak or if you are near 1,000's of other smartphones (baseball game or other event with huge #'s of people), this can kill your battery very quickly, much faster than screen being on.
    geekaren and JnEricsonx like this.
    04-18-2015 10:22 AM
    During heavy use get about 12 hours total uptime and around 4-5 hours of screen on time with about 10% left (still on KitKat, froze OTA updater to do so). This is while always on LTE (never Wi-Fi) which has a strong signal at home and work (and everywhere in between) and screen brightness set to auto. I then just swap out the battery (via the Samsung spare battery kit) to get back to 100%.

Otherwise with light use I can get anywhere from 2-4 days total uptime with around 2-3 hours screen on time (phone has phenomenal standby time. See my post here).
    How did you freeze the automatic update? What's OTA?
    brick58 likes this.
    04-18-2015 11:42 AM

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have been trolling battery life blogs and I'm convinced we are in a small minority. Other power users get through the work day on a single charge while I have to charge twice during my average day at home on wifi. I considered a factory reset but decided to wait on the lollipop update before I do. Screen and Android system are the highest consumers which is not unusual so it is kind of difficult to diagnose. If my problem is not solved I will consider replacing my Note but I fear getting a refurbished one in exchange.
    04-18-2015 12:15 PM
    I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have been trolling battery life blogs and I'm convinced we are in a small minority. Other power users get through the work day on a single charge while I have to charge twice during my average day at home on wifi. I considered a factory reset but decided to wait on the lollipop update before I do. Screen and Android system are the highest consumers which is not unusual so it is kind of difficult to diagnose. If my problem is not solved I will consider replacing my Note but I fear getting a refurbished one in exchange.
    Lollipop is not gonna make the battery life any better.
    dbarnes2270 likes this.
    04-18-2015 12:23 PM
    On a heavy usage day, I get about 4-5 hrs screen time and about 16-18 hrs before having to charge again.
    04-18-2015 12:42 PM
    I'm getting about 5 hours of screen time. I think I was around 6 hours before lollipop.

04-18-2015 12:48 PM
    Maybe it's my signal then. I have two extra batteries and on some days I actually have to go through all 3. Definitely 2 a day

04-18-2015 02:08 PM
    If you are in an area where the 4g signal is weak or if you are near 1,000's of other smartphones (baseball game or other event with huge #'s of people), this can kill your battery very quickly, much faster than screen being on.
    Just trying to learn, here... What does being around a lot of other people have to do with anything? Thank you

brick58 likes this.
    04-18-2015 02:42 PM
    It's just as likely you have a defective battery as it is that you have a defective phone. I would try a new battery, first. Just a thought.

PookiePrancer and IslandGuy like this.
    04-18-2015 02:44 PM
    I take my phone off the charger around 8am and it might last until 2pm and it's at 20-30%. What is considered heavy usage?

04-18-2015 02:50 PM
    I take my phone off the charger around 8am and it might last until 2pm and it's at 20-30%. What is considered heavy usage?

For me I am on fb email videos games all throughout the day

04-18-2015 03:14 PM
    3 hrs on screen time. Look atmy signal though I've been home almost all day. Lollipop might have made it worse

Attached Thumbnails Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-screenshot_2015-04-18-17-55-02.jpg   Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-screenshot_2015-04-18-17-55-52.jpg  
    iOSConvert2k14 likes this.
    04-18-2015 04:58 PM
    Just trying to learn, here... What does being around a lot of other people have to do with anything? Thank you

It's a case-by-case basis and depends on the venue. But, chances are likely that if you are around a huge amount of people (25,000, 40,000, 70,000, etc) that your smartphone will experience a weaker cellular signal because several thousand smartphones are all trying to connect and maintain a connection with very few cell towers/antennas. The cell towers/antennas get overloaded with too many connections and can't handle all of them at the same time.

When this (weaker signal) happens your smartphone has to work harder to search for and maintain the connection to the cell tower. This causes the battery to drain faster as a result which causes the battery/phone to get warmer and sometimes very hot which over a long period of time damages the battery.

But, if the cell service companies (at&t, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mo, etc) plan for extra capacity (ie bring in more temporary cell towers, trucks) to handle all the extra connections then you may or may not have any issues.

One sporting venue I visit a lot had great Verizon service but as more people started to arrive when it got closer to game time, my phone became unusable for data, the phone worked hard to find the signal, and the battery drained very quickly as a result.

But, over the last 2 years it has gotten much better. Now I get a great data connection at the games all the time (even with 20,000+ people around me). My guess is that Verizon improved the coverage there (maybe just for the game times or maybe added more permanent towers).
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    04-19-2015 01:10 PM
    Terrible battery life on lollipop. Thirty percent down and SoT is less than an hour! Android system is always draining and my phone wakes up constantly. For the first week or so after I downloaded and installed lollipop, my battery was great. I installed the newest Att update and it's garbage. I've cleared cache partition as well. Not factory reseting because that would be a huge hassle. Would be nice to not have to charge my Note 4 like I did my iPhone! I lost a percent just typing this...blah.:thumbdown:
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-1429470756153.jpg   Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-1429470764276.jpg   Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-1429470771228.jpg   Note 4 heavy users what's your battery like?-1429470782873.jpg  
    FSU30 and Jastow like this.
    04-19-2015 02:13 PM
121 123 ...