Is there a wayI can make text messages with an address send me to maps when I click on the address?

Jesse Martinez4

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have tried a few 3rd party apps for texting, and I also tried putting a few different navigation apps on. Phone numbers usually auto hyper link, but not addresses.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you try copying the Google Maps URL and pasting it into the text? A URL should hyperlink, and the Google Maps URL, if you set the page to a particular address, includes the location to within a few feet.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been able to pull it up that if you send just the address, or send the address from google maps, it will open up automatically.

Jesse Martinez4

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
It's not that I can't send them. The problem is that people type their address into a text and send it to me. My wife had an iPhone and could click on any address sent to her and it would take her straight to her maps app and have that address already entered in for her. With her note 4, she has a lot of awesome features, but she complains about these things which should be easy to do on any phone. I was hoping there was a way to make it work.

Jesse Martinez4

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
4853_790_87.png

See the picture, here is an example. the hyper link is sent from google maps like you said. If everyone sent addresses this way, then there would be no problem, but the majority just type it in like on the bottom part. Apparently this isnt a problem on a lame iphone. But the all powerful Note 4 which I love, cannot do this.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What would be nice is if there was a standard google search intent for simple text selection such that when one selects text with the S-Pen, Google Search would be an option under the Share Via menu. This would at least give you a list of results some of which would be maps if the selected text was a valid address.

PNut91red

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I found this in a search while trying to solve the same problem. I believe this is an issue with Google wanting us to use hangouts as our default messaging app. Google has been very pushy these days, VERY pushy.

Dean Hellam

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Did you find a way to over come this issue? Our fire department gets the address texted to us but only the I phone users can click the adress

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....it works for me. Just received a text with an address from my son yesterday. It converts to a hyperlink automatically in the text message and when I click on it sends me to the address in Google Maps. I am using VZW's text message app (Message+). Perhaps that is the difference?

BigwhiteUK

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Click on paper clip, this will bring up options, one of which is google maps. Type in postcode, or adresss in the search bar, click done. Will show in message

Posted via the Android Central App

Sean M4

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Reading the other comments, I dont think anyone understands the question the original post was stating. Basically, On the iphone "Imessege"

If someone sent me an address say 555 Main Street, L.A on my iphone, it would show up as a link (blue) which if you clicked on it, would bring up google maps or whatever map app was set for maps. Now that we have an Android, When we get the address in a text, there is no link to click and no way to copy the address to paste into our map app. So we are asking if anyone has come across a text app that can do that..

I dont want to ask the person texting me to get the link from google maps and then text it, as they may not have time.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
For Apple to even patent something like this knowing full well it'll limit people's usage unless on an iPhone is irresponsible and bad practice. For the US Gov to allow it is even worse! Greed on Apple's part, stupidity on the Gov's! No wonder I'm sick of both of them!

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Press and hold on the address in the text and paste it in maps search box. On my Note 5 it automatically converts to a hyperlink.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I made up some addresses and sent them to myself on Verizon Note 5 and they convert to hyperlinks.
When I click on them they open in Google Maps.
If you have Google Maps open you can hi light the address in the search bar and share with your messaging app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol