My Note 4 GPS can see satellites, but cannot fix location. How can I get this working?

A

AC Question

My Note 4 GPS can "see" satellites, but cannot fix location.

Hi. I'm running 4.4.4 on my Note 4 (rooted). My GPS stopped working one day, and after downloading GPS Test, GPS Status and a GPS toolbox, I find that:

1) The phone "sees" all the satellites well, even indoors.
2) The "location" icon in the notification bar keeps blinking.
3) There is no location fix, no matter how long I wait.

Note that I've seen other posts about not finding satellites, or taking too long for a fix. this is different... my phone "sees" all the satellites, it just ignores their signals.

Or so it seems.

Many thanks to any who can assist me.

Regards
David

onesmallstep001

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: My Note 4 GPS can "see" satellites, but cannot fix location.

I have exactly the same problem. I just got the phone from swappa. Test it for a few days. Find the GPS problem. Don't know how to fix it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Open the Phone, as if you were going to make a phone call, and dial -
*#9090# (*#197328640# if that doesn't work)
Menu, select Key Input, enter Q
Menu, select Key Input, enter 0000
wait for the next menu. (It takes a while.)
UMTS->COMMON->NV REBUILD->NV REBUILD->SYSTEM->PROTOCOL->GPS->IMS
or, if you don't have UMTS:
UE SETTINGS & INFO->SETTING->SYSTEM->NV REBUILD->ALL

Restart the phone.

onesmallstep001

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

Thank you. I tried, but still not working. Don't know what will happen for David.

Last edited:

obobob

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Thanks Rukbat for your suggestion, which I tried, but it didn't make any difference. The phone tells me it can see up to 22 satellites, yet it never gets a position fix.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I have heard others say when they calibrate their compass, it fixed their GPS. I don't know if that works or not, I calibrated my compass out of the box, because it isn't calibrated.

The instructions for that. If you try this fix, please post if it works for your GPS issues or not.

http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/a...amsung-galaxy-note-4-calibrate-compass-solved

chiccop96

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem and I would like to fix it without doing a factory reset.

ThatJ0EGuy

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site

Hey folks, I just ran into this issue today for the first time. Up until today my Note 4's GPS had been working fine but I was on my trip home (about 7 hours) and for the first half I couldn't get it to work. After tinkering with it including wiping the system cache I realized it might be just a app conflict. So knowing the only other app I had used that used the GPS was facebook I went into app manager and did a force stop on facebook. I didn't dump the cache just stopped the app. After exiting app manager (the system app manager NOT play store) and opening up google maps it worked again. I drove the remaining three hours of the trip without a hitch using google's navigation app.

Not sure if this is the cure but it clearly worked for me.
HTH

bashir zaki

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Hi. I'm running 4.4.4 on my Note 4 (rooted). My GPS stopped working one day, and after downloading GPS Test, GPS Status and a GPS toolbox, I find that:

1) The phone "sees" all the satellites well, even indoors.
2) The "location" icon in the notification bar keeps blinking.
3) There is no location fix, no matter how long I wait.

Note that I've seen other posts about not finding satellites, or taking too long for a fix. this is different... my phone "sees" all the satellites, it just ignores their signals.

Or so it seems.

Many thanks to any who can assist me.

Regards
David