07-24-2016 03:11 AM
59 123
tools
    Hey guys, since updating to Lollipop 5.0.1 earlier today (Samsung Galaxy Note 4), I have noticed that the small notification bar icons that previously appeared on the lock screen have been replaced by larger display bars - it seems that I can either set these to display full text from the sms/email/whatsapp etc. (which I am not keen on), or have the bar show "Contents Hidden" (which seems pointless).

Is there any way to remove the bigger notifications and return back to having the small message / email / whatsapp icons on the top bar? Whilst locked (especially at work), I much prefer to click a button and quickly glance down to see which icons are showing at the top of the screen, rather than having a whole host of bars stacked up.

Many thanks in advance, and my apologies if this has already been covered.
    04-21-2015 07:00 AM
    Aha! I thought there was a difference, but I wasn't sure why. Well, you go to "lock screen" on settings, and there doesn't seem to be anything about it.
    04-21-2015 08:11 AM
    Yes, I figured there should be a setting somewhere, but if there is, I can't find it
    04-21-2015 01:57 PM
    Hello, If you want to get rid of notifications on lock screen,.... Go to settings....under " Device", click on " sounds and notifications", scroll down to " notification", .. click on "while locked", click on" Do not show notifications". hope that helps.
    04-21-2015 04:23 PM
    Hello, If you want to get rid of notifications on lock screen,.... Go to settings....under " Device", click on " sounds and notifications", scroll down to " notification", .. click on "while locked", click on" Do not show notifications". hope that helps.
    Thank you
    Candie Ray likes this.
    04-21-2015 05:50 PM
    If I do that, then there will be no notifications on the lock screen? I want notifications, just not the large bar/full message type ones.

Many thanks!
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    04-22-2015 02:30 AM
    Im wondering the same thing for my girlfriend's Note 4. I enjoy the larger notifications, but she doesn't and I can't find a way to get the old notifications to show up on her notification bar.
    04-22-2015 05:00 AM
    Im wondering the same thing for my girlfriend's Note 4. I enjoy the larger notifications, but she doesn't and I can't find a way to get the old notifications to show up on her notification bar.
    Yep, very frustrating. I don't want everyone around me at work to be able to read my messages as they pop-up on the screen... But I also don't see the point of of having a huge bar with "content hidden" written on it! Argh
    04-22-2015 12:43 PM
    I just did a Google search on this and found your question. I am wondering about this as well. I have very large icons showing underneath and the smaller ones on top so I can't read anything! We need a fix for this, Android!
    04-27-2015 09:18 PM
    The notifications on the pull down shade are just as bad. They have gone notification crazy with Lollipop and I hate it. I just want my tiny icons in my status bar back.
    Krack-Berri likes this.
    04-28-2015 12:07 AM
    Hi,

After the update I had the same concern.

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for but it is what I wanted and figured out how to correct

On the lock screen you can still see the partial message opposed to "hidden message" or what ever it says

Go to: Messaging ( your txt message icon)
    on the main screen bring up your menu (im using the galaxy S4, so the hidden button to the left of the center bottom button)
    Settings
    Notifications
    check - Pop-up Display and Preview Message

Now when you get a txt on the lock screen it will show the partial txt message as it did before the update.

Hope this is what you wanted.
    geekaren likes this.
    04-28-2015 12:52 PM
    Yep, very frustrating. I don't want everyone around me at work to be able to read my messages as they pop-up on the screen... But I also don't see the point of of having a huge bar with "content hidden" written on it! Argh
    Select the Hide Sensitive Information option and the notification will only identify the App sending the notification.
    04-28-2015 06:26 PM
    Or turn off notifications and download AcDisplay.
    04-28-2015 06:59 PM
    Yeah lollipop is a total mind **** when it comes to the notification changes. And don't get me started on the new 'priority mode' that's replaced do not disturb....
    05-01-2015 08:58 PM
    There are older threads about this, Google removed the lockscreen task bar area small icon notifications that Kit Kat had in Lollipoop.

They know they made a mistake because those lockscreen icons will return in Lollipoop 5.1

Brilliant on the developers part to remove basic functionality. apparently they don't use the OS's they design.
    rdjr74 and lv2bsilly like this.
    05-01-2015 09:14 PM
    I just got this update on my note and have the same complaints as all of you! I liked just pressing the button on the side of my phone to light the screen up and see the little notifications on the top left but now you have to unlock the screen for this. It's now replaced with my carrier 'Yes Optus' words when screen is locked. Why would they get rid of this feature? I've tried everything and nothing works. As people have said above I don't want to see large notifications all over the lock screen I want the little icons to show up in lock mode in the upper left corner!
    05-03-2015 06:54 PM
    There are older threads about this, Google removed the lockscreen task bar area small icon notifications that Kit Kat had in Lollipoop.

They know they made a mistake because those lockscreen icons will return in Lollipoop 5.1

Brilliant on the developers part to remove basic functionality. apparently they don't use the OS's they design.
    Do you have a source that shows they will be revising the notification set up? Is this a rumor or is there some reliable information that Google has committed to doing this? I hope you're right!
    Laurie Mclachlan likes this.
    05-03-2015 07:22 PM
    Do you have a source that shows they will be revising the notification set up? Is this a rumor or is there some reliable information that Google has committed to doing this? I hope you're right!
    I hope you are right too.

Of course, it will take AT&T until 2016 to allow the update, lol.
    05-06-2015 04:10 PM
    I read it here on Android Central on the News page maybe about a month or so ago. Was an article on 5.1 in general, what features it's going to have. Sorry, don't have time to look up the article & post a link for you.
    05-06-2015 10:27 PM
    I hope you are right too.

Of course, it will take AT&T until 2016 to allow the update, lol.
    I agree with you, probably sometime in the 1st quarter next year.
    05-06-2015 10:28 PM
    Actually AT&T is trying to get an update from Samsung right now, for bug fixes, but they haven't said what version it will be.
    05-07-2015 11:28 AM
    Actually AT&T is trying to get an update from Samsung right now, for bug fixes, but they haven't said what version it will be.
    Ah, well it's good to know they are doing something!
    05-07-2015 04:31 PM
    My issue is that the notifications on my lock screen are dead. The screen stays locked when I try to access the notification, and when I unlock the screen they disappear. They have no use for me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-07-2015 08:54 PM
    For all the hype about Lollipoop to me Google fell flat on their face. There is nothing I like better about it, a lot of things I don't like as well as Kit Kat & several serious problems like losing fast charge in the car, worse battery life, speakerphone won't activate in call, lack of icons in the notification bar area of the lockscreen etc. Primarily I blame Google for designing the worst Android OS I've used going back to Froyo & Eclair. Next comes AT&T for forcing the update. Samsung really had no choice because everybody'd be whining if Lollipoop wasn't made available.

Like I said previously, I'd love to have Kit Kat back.
    tiarosi likes this.
    05-07-2015 10:28 PM
    For all the hype about Lollipoop to me Google fell flat on their face. There is nothing I like better about it, a lot of things I don't like as well as Kit Kat & several serious problems like losing fast charge in the car, worse battery life, speakerphone won't activate in call, lack of icons in the notification bar area of the lockscreen etc. Primarily I blame Google for designing the worst Android OS I've used going back to Froyo & Eclair. Next comes AT&T for forcing the update. Samsung really had no choice because everybody'd be whining if Lollipoop wasn't made available.

Like I said previously, I'd love to have Kit Kat back.
    I stayed on KitKat a long time, and then when I went back to KitKat the other day when they switched out my phone, I realized I liked Lollipop better.
    05-07-2015 10:56 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD