It makes me feel sick to my stomach to consider the possibility of abandoning Samsung, but if they really go through with taking away removable batteries and micro sd cards on the Note 5, I will likely jump ship when my Note 4 needs replacing.

As far as the micro sd, I'd be willing to have to buy Samsung's, as I do understand their position that people put cheap sd cards that can actually damage a phone, then demand warranty replacements... but there has to be another way to avoid the problem for the company other than sealing the phone completely. ..

If Samsung does remove those things, what other phones can I consider?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-22-2015 11:19 PM
    Considering that they're going in the direction of non-removable batteries and, in the case of AT&T and Verizon, locked bootloaders, there's nowhere to turn. Maybe Project Ara, when it finally starts showing results at the retail level.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    04-22-2015 11:45 PM
    I think it is too early to say we won't have removable battery on Note 5. I honestly don't think Samsung is going to do to Note 5 what they did to S6. Otherwise we might as well call it S6 plus hehehehe. Just relax, it's all going to be ok

GtoJon and juliesdroidsync like this.
    04-23-2015 12:02 AM
    I think it is too early to say we won't have removable battery on Note 5. I honestly don't think Samsung is going to do to Note 5 what they did to S6. Otherwise we might as well call it S6 plus hehehehe. Just relax, it's all going to be ok

Do you think they will give us a removable battery, but still not allow us to have a removable micro SD card? For me, the battery life so good, I could almost live with that, but what I could not live with is not having my removable micro SD card....

Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    04-23-2015 12:06 AM
    Unless someone releases a good phone with a Waccom Pen, I don't know which phone to consider...

Maybe G4 Stylus?..
    Andy847 and juliesdroidsync like this.
    04-23-2015 07:47 AM
    I like the sd card and removable battery, but honestly I have never had a reason to change the battery in my Note 4, and if I had larger storage, I wouldn't need an SD card... internal memory is faster anyway.

It's nothing to feel sick over, if this is the biggest problem in your life, then you are living a good life. Nothing but a first world problem.
    anon(9144744) likes this.
    04-23-2015 07:51 AM
    If you're asking for alternatives for the future, there are lots of other companies out there. Sony has SD cards but no battery replacement. There are a lot of Chinese manufacturers that are actually very decent phones. If you're into other operating systems as of late Windows phones have SD cards and some even replaceable batteries.

There are always options. I honestly don't stay long enough with a phone to see battery deterioration. SD cards though are a must. I won't buy another phone that doesn't have an SD card slot. It's far too useful to get rid of unless I have at least 64gb internal. Even then, the ability to remove it if the device dies and still have a lot of your data is a must in my book...
    04-23-2015 08:03 AM
    I like the sd card and removable battery, but honestly I have never had a reason to change the battery in my Note 4, and if I had larger storage, I wouldn't need an SD card... internal memory is faster anyway.

It's nothing to feel sick over, if this is the biggest problem in your life, then you are living a good life. Nothing but a first world problem.
    Agreed :-) of course we all have much larger problems, but little ones like these will distract us from them, if only for a few minutes ...

There are drawbacks. With heavy use, even the best battery starts to degrade after 6 months, and it might be better to replace your battery then to have to replace your whole phone.

Also, having to pay so much extra every time we upgrade the phone. an SD card lasts longer than a phone... It will wind up costing a lot more money in the long run. I can buy an SD card once and go through at least a couple of phones.

Just seems like a really bad move for Samsung. and for the consumers who like those features. praise God for first world problems, huh?

04-23-2015 08:09 AM
    If the Note line goes the GS6 route, I'll look into another phone for the future. Both HTC and LG added SD Card support after the M7 and G2 didn't have it, and LG added a replaceable battery to the G3. So there will be a lot of options out there. After dropping $650 for the GS4 and $800 for the Note 4, the Note 4 is perfectly fine for me and I don't see big upgrades in the GPU or camera capabilities to even consider upgrading.

I'll look to buy a new phone around the time the Note 6 drops. By then, I think that the SoC will be advanced enough to have a true octa core CPU, not the current Big/little set up that is out now. A GPU that can play back 4K at 60fps, I found out what the Note 4 can't handle, likely the GS6 can't either, and that is smoothly play back a 4K video at 60fps. Lastly, a camera that can record 4K at 60fps without time limits. For now, I don't see these upgrades coming, so there is no real reason for me to buy the Note 5 or another new phone.

But if the Note 6 removes the sd card option and a replaceable battery, I will be looking into other phones or Project Ara. Project Ara would be on the top of my list if it takes off. Having the option to replace the CPU, GPU, camera sensor, RAM, screen along with the battery and storage, it would be the perfect phone for me.
    04-23-2015 08:48 AM
    I think the question to ask yourself is how often do you change your phone. Because honestly if you're the type that likes to chase Technology every year when they come up with bigger, better and faster phone then Note 5 having no micro sd or no battery swap isn't such a big deal. As long as it's fast , looks great awesome features that other phones don't have does it matter? But if you like to hang on to your phone for more then 2-3 yrs then yes those are important.
    04-23-2015 08:54 AM
    I pretty much upgraded to a new phone every year. If the next Note doesn't interest me, I might go back to using a Nexus phone again.

I am kind of debating on getting a Nexus 6 or an S6 Edge now but I don't think the time is right personally. Still reading up on how both phones are doing. With my Note 4 and Note Edge, the decision was so easy.
    04-23-2015 09:00 AM
    Instead of breaking our brains assuming what the Note 5 will or will not be, we should just wait for the phone to out or until Samsung announce something.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    04-23-2015 10:45 AM
    The Note 4 will last a couple of years. It's a solid build with a replaceable battery. I figure if the Note 5 comes out and announces that they are gluing in the battery and soldering in all the memory it will ever have, I'll probably wait for the final clearance fire sale prices on the Note 4 and pick up a spare, just in case I drop my main one.
    04-23-2015 11:33 AM
    Whats the big deal about a removable battery?
    04-23-2015 01:55 PM
    I've owned several devices with removable batteries and several devices without. It basically boils down to flexibility, longevity, and resale value.

Flexibility:

If my battery is removable, I can carry a spare battery (as opposed to a much larger external battery pack + cable). I can swap out batteries in a minute and not have to worry about the cable on an external battery pack catching on something and breaking my USB port. If I *do* break my USB port somehow, I can charge batteries outside the phone, swap them, and still have a useful device. I can also get a ZeroLemon or similar "beast mode" battery if I choose to and replace the battery with something bigger (insane battery life at the cost of a heavier device). It opens up options for the times when a charger isn't going to be handy for a while.

Longevity:

Batteries decay with use. A $600+ phone should not become a paperweight simply because a $40- battery glued into it ran out of useful capacity. A year from now, when my Note 4 ceases to be an all-day battery beast, I can remove and recycle the current battery and pop in a new one and call it a love story all over again.

Resale:

A phone that can't last more than a few hours doesn't sell for much. Your buyer doesn't know that the battery is dying, but they do know that if they get a dud battery in that S6, Nexus 6, or Moto X, they've just got to deal with it. They also know if they get a Note 4 with a bad battery, they can drop a couple Jacksons and get a freshly-built battery. The phone-buying public is pretty savvy about such things, and it affects what you can get for your used device by mitigating your buyer's risks.

If the built-in battery has plenty of capacity (original Moto X is a decent example of this done well), then it's probably not a huge deal as long as you are on a plan where you can replace phones every couple of years (or more often), and you tend to throw away old phones and not try to sell them. The battery life will dwindle, but for a couple of years it will probably be OK, and after that you don't really care.

The COST of a removable battery is that the case needs to open, making it harder to make the phone water-resistant. Also, there is a very small amount of added weight and size due to the need to make connectors rather than soldering in the battery directly. So there are certainly trade-offs.
    04-23-2015 02:20 PM
    With heavy use after about 6 months the battery's ability to hold a charge starts to degrade. At least, that has been my experience, which is why it's a really big deal to me. I need to be able to use my phone very heavily all day long without a recharge

04-23-2015 03:14 PM
    Instead of breaking our brains assuming what the Note 5 will or will not be, we should just wait for the phone to out or until Samsung announce something.
    I'd rather consider what my options are ahead of time, personally. Which is why I did the post to begin with. But I do understand what you're saying.

bassplayrguy likes this.
    04-23-2015 03:16 PM
    There really is no big deal about them. A small, but vocal group on forums like these are the main champions for them. I've never bought an extra battery for any phone I've ever owned. Until the G2, every Htc, Motorola and Samsung phone I owned had a removable battery, yet I never once bought a backup battery.
    04-24-2015 08:21 AM
    If the note 5 goes in the same direction as the s6 it's not a big deal for me. As long I like the phone, I could care less about not having a removable battery. Will I be a little bummed if the note loses the expandable memory? Yes, but it's still not a huge deal breaker for me.

04-24-2015 08:30 AM
    I seem to go back amd forth between the note line amd the motorola droid line. They are two diff animals, however they both have big batteries and each has great features.

If i dont like the note 5, ill probably just go back to the droid line

04-24-2015 12:29 PM
    I pretty much upgraded to a new phone every year. If the next Note doesn't interest me, I might go back to using a Nexus phone again.

I am kind of debating on getting a Nexus 6 or an S6 Edge now but I don't think the time is right personally. Still reading up on how both phones are doing. With my Note 4 and Note Edge, the decision was so easy.
    Wow! you have both the Note 4 and the Note Edge? Do you carry them around at the same time?
    04-24-2015 01:39 PM
    There really is no big deal about them. A small, but vocal group on forums like these are the main champions for them. I've never bought an extra battery for any phone I've ever owned. Until the G2, every Htc, Motorola and Samsung phone I owned had a removable battery, yet I never once bought a backup battery.
    Glad it's worked out for you, but I've had a fixed battery phone stop holding a charge halfway through a 2-year contract. Know several other people who wound up in the same situation. Sure would've been nice to have the option of replacing for ~25 bucks.
    Would still consider a fixed battery device, but only if said battery were massive to begin with- Droid Maxx, Turbo etc. Could lose some capacity over time but still get me through the day.
    04-24-2015 02:38 PM
    I've never had a phone where I didn't buy an extra battery. Not necessarily because I needed to swap them out in the middle of the day, at first, but as others have noted, batteries begin to degrade after about 6 months of heavy use.

04-24-2015 02:42 PM
    Wow! you have both the Note 4 and the Note Edge? Do you carry them around at the same time?
    No. I take the Note Edge with me every day. I bought the Note 4 first going by what I read here and then got the Note Edge a week later. Now I would have past on the Note 4 and just got the Edge. The Edge has a smaller battery but I get better usage out of the Note Edge than the Note 4.
    04-24-2015 03:31 PM