S Health units

Ott3rMan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
What is this ridiculous unit that is all over S Health? I have checked all settings, all seems clear.

Ex:

10'20"/km
12'22"/km

I understand it means 10min20sec per km. But who measures like that? Not here in Norway at least. I have been all over Europe, and never seen it. Been to the states, but off course they have miles. I never saw a sign saying the speedlimit measured in mind and secs per mile....

Was going to add a pic, but can't seem to find a way.....

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Can you tell him to call Samsung and let them know he is the only one? And that Otterman does not want such units on his front screen of S Health.. ;)

Hehehe, I don't like neither.. It's quite confusing.. Don't understand how people can see use it..

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I use MapMyRide and it's the same thing there. Only in miles in my case, because 'MURIKA! ;)

Runners and joggers tend to talk in terms of time/distance. So instead of "5 miles per hour", they'll tend to say they were proud to have run a "5 minute half mile" ( <--- made-up example, I only run when chased by angry people)

There doesn't seem to be a way to say "see, I really care about fractional MPH, KPH, furlongs per .beat, rods per fruit fly lifespan, or any other distance per time unit measurement" It's all time unit measurement for a fixed distance.

Ott3rMan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I use MapMyRide and it's the same thing there. Only in miles in my case, because 'MURIKA! ;)

Runners and joggers tend to talk in terms of time/distance. So instead of "5 miles per hour", they'll tend to say they were proud to have run a "5 minute half mile" ( <--- made-up example, I only run when chased by angry people)

There doesn't seem to be a way to say "see, I really care about fractional MPH, KPH, furlongs per .beat, rods per fruit fly lifespan, or any other distance per time unit measurement" It's all time unit measurement for a fixed distance.

Best reply ever!

So it is all a way to measure d@@@ length? Like mine is 36 sec per km bigger than yours etc... I see...

I just think they should have a toggle here for normals and rabbits.

I to only run when it has to do with me or my family's safety, so I want to have normal measurements.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So it is all a way to measure d@@@ length? Like mine is 36 sec per km bigger than yours etc... I see...

All speed measurements are for competition comparison, aka Johnson-length. Otherwise, what's the point of even asking? If you wanted to know distance, you'd look at distance. If you wanted to know time, you'd look at time. Pace/speed is about who has the biggest smoots per fortnight, or their pace of how many fortnight-fractions it takes to cover a single smoot.

I'm not sure exactly why runners/joggers tend to favor varying the time and basing things off a fixed distance, but it's probably because many of them will eventually compete in races and those races are of a fixed distance and you win for completing in the shortest time (and with staggered starts, it's not a matter of crossing the finish line first). For them, consistent maintenance of a pace is the way to win (slow and steady wins the race).

The rest of us use variable-distance per fixed-time-unit for, honestly, equally inscrutable reasons to measure our schlon... err... "athletic performance". Probably because many of us are automobile operators and have to think of that measurement of speed as it relates to speed limits and the avoidance of paying large sums of money for the sin of leaving the house too late.

Ott3rMan

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
All speed measurements are for competition comparison, aka Johnson-length. Otherwise, what's the point of even asking? If you wanted to know distance, you'd look at distance. If you wanted to know time, you'd look at time. Pace/speed is about who has the biggest smoots per fortnight, or their pace of how many fortnight-fractions it takes to cover a single smoot.

I'm not sure exactly why runners/joggers tend to favor varying the time and basing things off a fixed distance, but it's probably because many of them will eventually compete in races and those races are of a fixed distance and you win for completing in the shortest time (and with staggered starts, it's not a matter of crossing the finish line first). For them, consistent maintenance of a pace is the way to win (slow and steady wins the race).

The rest of us use variable-distance per fixed-time-unit for, honestly, equally inscrutable reasons to measure our schlon... err... "athletic performance". Probably because many of us are automobile operators and have to think of that measurement of speed as it relates to speed limits and the avoidance of paying large sums of money for the sin of leaving the house too late.

Good and valid points. I guess I have stumbled upon a world that is alien to me. As said I only run for survival. But when Samsung decide to bring me data about how fast I am moving my body upon this planet, I want it to be represented in a unit I can relate to. Or else there is no point. I know how long my ding ding is, and am satisfied with that, so the number and unit is purely for my own comparison.

I say we start using AU (astronomical unit) / smurf farts. Now this would be an interesting number...

Or measure the time it takes to move from my couch to my car(10m) and use that as a measure for speed.