I was just wondering if getting a all aluminum case for my note 4 will drastically affect my phone service, both on wifi and off wifi with LTE or 3G. I'm fine with a minor drop in performance and speed, but if it's really significant I probably will opt out. Please let me know!

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-26-2015 03:06 PM
    The more of a shield the case forms, the worse the performance will be. If the case covers the entire back and sides (except for the required holes for earphone, pen, etc.), performance will probably be terrible unless you're in some place like midtown NYC, where there's a cell antenna every few feet. (Where I am, the tower is about 5 miles away, and I can drive another 15 miles before I start picking up the next tower. With an aluminum case I'd barely get a signal here, and I'd lose it within a mile of heading toward the next tower. (Pretty much the same physical arrangement - a Note 3 - so probably about the same performance.)

Besides, aluminum doesn't absorb much shock, so if you drop the phone in an aluminum case, a lot of the shock will be transmitted to the screen and it could crack. TPU and rubber cases help to prevent that. (I've dropped mine pretty badly a couple of times, in an Otterbox Defender. It still works.)
    04-26-2015 03:15 PM
    I will say this. I bought the Spigen neo hybrid aluminum bumper, and my signal strength took a little hit. I returned the case.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-26-2015 03:27 PM