06-11-2015 08:51 AM
85 1234
tools
    I'm more thinking along the lines that they want to differentiate their products from the rest of the Android devices. To compete with Apple directly and not just one of many.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    They already have. I wanted a Nexus 6 because vanilla Android.

However, the Nexus 6 doesn't have a removable battery. The Nexus 6 doesn't have expandable memory. The Nexus 6 doesn't have S-Pen.

I can see, for some lines, sealing in the battery. It makes the case cheaper to build and without the need of a way to open it you can make a nicer case.

I can see removing the SD slot. Your Android build becomes simpler, not having to support permanently-attached external storage.

But those were left in, despite the design and cost compromises, because they are a positive difference that those looking for a productivity-oriented phone would go for. Sammy made me overcome my long-term hatred of all things TouchWiz with the Note 4.

Unless Sammy is going to start co-branding home screens or something, there's no value for them in locking down their phones to their specific launcher. And there's no value for their customers, either.
    05-05-2015 04:01 PM
    I suppose that could happen. They could hardcode the default "home button" activity in and make it so you can't clear it. I would think any move in that direction would be met with a tsunami of nerd rage.
    ...a tsunami of nerd rage...

that's funny!
    05-05-2015 07:58 PM
    No removable battery even though I haven't had the need to remove mine or change it out yet, or no Micro Sd card - no buy. Some things are inherently Android and those 2 things are a part of the experience. If I wanted an Iphone I would go get one. The S6 is a nice phone but was disappointed in learning that Sammy decided to take away those 2 things. You will lose a lot of the Note fan base if you do the same with the Note 5 Sammy.
    05-05-2015 08:08 PM
    No. No. No.

I buy extended batteries for all of my phones. Stock never lasts more than 7 hours or so. I want to charge once a day and done. Battery anxiety is a disease and I have a horrible case.

via The Note 4
    05-06-2015 11:49 AM
    No removable battery even though I haven't had the need to remove mine or change it out yet, or no Micro Sd card - no buy. Some things are inherently Android and those 2 things are a part of the experience. If I wanted an Iphone I would go get one. The S6 is a nice phone but was disappointed in learning that Sammy decided to take away those 2 things. You will lose a lot of the Note fan base if you do the same with the Note 5 Sammy.
    I'd be OK with both being gone. I don't think going in this direction is about being more iphone but rather better reliability without an SD card and advances in battery charging technology. HTC, LG and others already went down this road.

That said, the NOTE 5 won't be a larger S6 where it will pick up styling cues from it.

I firmly believe the Note brand is its own class (productivity). In that class SD card expansion and removable batteries are necessary to keep the base users productive.

Conversely, I do see sealed batteries in the future based on improved technology. Quick charing really is something all devices should adopt but also battery life improvements will be made. Additionally, I also see the removal of SD card slots as they serve as points of failure and are slow compared to internal storage.

Either way Note users won't abandon ship because of changes. Many said this about the s6 and sales have far exceeded expectations, including Samsung's . The same will go for the Note 5.
    05-09-2015 07:29 AM
    No. No. No.

I buy extended batteries for all of my phones. Stock never lasts more than 7 hours or so. I want to charge once a day and done. Battery anxiety is a disease and I have a horrible case.

via The Note 4
    I never buy extended batteries and my Notes, first one, 2, 3 and now 4, always get a full day charge.
    05-09-2015 10:25 AM
    i wouldnt buy the note 5 if it had non removable battery and no microsd card slot!
    Note series is for power users not for guys that talk to the phone all day long!
    you need microsd card because 2K and 4K movies are big! you need storage to store your movies and enjoy the movie!

I am considering the Note 5 edge with extra edge features!
    05-09-2015 12:17 PM
    I wouldn't mind if they made a revolutionary advance in battery life by not having it removable but the S6 battery life hasn't gained anything by being sealed shut in it. As far as the SD card being slower I never buy the bottom of the barrel always pick up the fastest available and pay a little more for the speed. 128gb on top of my 32Gb Note 4 is plenty of space for now, maybe next year move up to 256gb SD.
    05-09-2015 07:14 PM
    <snip>...Either way Note users won't abandon ship because of changes. Many said this about the s6 and sales have far exceeded expectations, including Samsung's . The same will go for the Note 5.
    Then you haven't been reading this thread very carefully. Lots of people will jump ship, myself included.
    05-09-2015 09:36 PM
    That is a tough one. I love having access to my battery and being able to swap to a fresh one. Also, I love having a removable memory source. I love the note series (I had all 4) and if they change it that way I don't know if I'd stick around for it. What are the advantages of an enclosed battery and no memory card slot?

Galaxy Note 4
    Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
    Galaxy Tab 2
    Galaxy Gear S/ Gear 1 Tizen
    Galaxy Circle/ Gear Level speaker
    05-09-2015 11:36 PM
    What are the advantages of an enclosed battery and no memory card slot?
    I think you mean non-removable battery.

A non-removable battery means a thinner phone. I like that idea.

If the phone has 128gB of memory at a reasonable price, then I don't need a sdcard slot.

Internal memory will be much faster.
    05-09-2015 11:54 PM
    I also like the removable battery, because sometimes in phones, you just need a battery pull..
    05-10-2015 02:17 AM
    Then you haven't been reading this thread very carefully. Lots of people will jump ship, myself included.
    OK let me clarify my statement. Note users will jump ship they always do and it happens with every manufacturer.

My point was the MAJORITY will not. So if Samsung plans on selling 5 million note 5's they will do just that. The defectors in this thread represent a microscopic number of sales that don't add up to anything. These losses won't be felt by Samsung. Remember, you may not go for a note 5 but an S6 user might, an iphone 6 plus user may.

So yes I've been reading the thread however, I understand the fact that when you say "a lot" of people plus yourself will jump ship, that isn't a quantifiable number because it represents so small a figure in the Note base tens of millions strong....

As I stated before there is no evidence that Samsung will even go the S6 route with the Note 5 based on the devices targeted audiences. Like everyone else I'll have to wait for future leaks to know for sure.
    05-10-2015 07:45 AM
    OK let me clarify my statement. Note users will jump ship they always do and it happens with every manufacturer.

My point was the MAJORITY will not. So if Samsung plans on selling 5 million note 5's they will do just that. The defectors in this thread represent a microscopic number of sales that don't add up to anything. These losses won't be felt by Samsung. Remember, you may not go for a note 5 but an S6 user might, an iphone 6 plus user may.

So yes I've been reading the thread however, I understand the fact that when you say "a lot" of people plus yourself will jump ship, that isn't a quantifiable number because it represents so small a figure in the Note base tens of millions strong....

As I stated before there is no evidence that Samsung will even go the S6 route with the Note 5 based on the devices targeted audiences. Like everyone else I'll have to wait for future leaks to know for sure.
    I totally agree with you..but note series are for power users

You colleague may want to share something with you and doesnt want to share the files to the cloud even if its private ..maybe its some important files for work!
    Only way to share files securely is by micro usb or sd card. Note series is for business! Its not a universal product line
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    05-10-2015 08:56 AM
    At this point I can't say whether I will or won't buy the note 5 until I actually see what Samsung offers. If they take away the removable battery, it's not a big deal for me. I would be bummed about losing expandable storage, but If they produce a great phone then I'm willing to give it a try. I said I'd never buy a all touchscreen phone or a phablet, but wouldn't you know I changed my mind.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    05-10-2015 12:33 PM
    At this point I can't say whether I will or won't buy the note 5 until I actually see what Samsung offers. If they take away the removable battery, it's not a big deal for me. I would be bummed about losing expandable storage, but If they produce a great phone then I'm willing to give it a try. I said I'd never buy a all touchscreen phone or a phablet, but wouldn't you know I changed my mind.
    I agree...
    05-10-2015 01:32 PM
    Frankly, I believe Sammy is going to continue to keep the S devices and the Note devices as separate and distinct entities. If they make the Note just a larger version of the S, they lose the appeal of the Note. Otherwise, they could do away with the Note series and just make an S Plus, like Apple did. Unless they keep the removable battery and micro SD features, they're going to lose out to LG and devices like the G4.

Posted via the Android Central App
    msndrstood likes this.
    05-11-2015 09:15 PM
    After being a long time S phone fan I've truly enjoyed my five months with the Note 4. I'd rather have both options available but place more importance on the external storage card slot. I'd definitely want the 128 gb version. That version of the S6 hasn't been readily available and the price is 😦😦😦

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.
    05-12-2015 04:27 AM
    If the note 5 has a sealed battery I will still consider it. However, if it doesn't have a micro SD then I am not getting it either. I like the flexibility of having my 128gb sd card. The 16gb phone or 32gb is just not enough especially since I use it for work too.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    05-12-2015 11:25 AM
    The new Galaxy Note will not have the same specs neither S Pen like the Note 5 rumor says.. That means they are going to release a bigger version of S6 edge , hopefully Note 5 keeps the removable battery and expandable storage
    05-27-2015 03:58 AM
    In the end, I don't think there will be too many people who care enough about a sealed battery or internal memory to sway their decision. If the phone is one of the superior products on the market, people will buy it.

The removable battery pack is a bit overrated, imo, for the simple fact that by and large, the battery that comes with the phone is most likely going to last you 1 year or 2 until you decide to upgrade to another model. Smartphones are basically "disposable" these days and the amount of people who keep them beyond the life of the contract with their carrier are significantly decreasing. So most people will probably never have to actually replace the battery. The only people I can see being affected are really heavy users who need to swap batteries halfway through the day.

As for the expandable memory, the benefit to this is mostly just in the up front cost of the phone (or your monthly payment if you're on a plan like AT&T Next), and it's really not that dramatic of a price increase. Using the current pricing for AT&T Next, an S6 with 32gb of storage will cost you $22.84 per month for 24 months. The 128gb S6 will cost $29.50/month. Over 2 years, that comes out to an additional $159.36 for the 128gb version. Comparatively, you'd probably spend around $100 for a 128gb card, so the cost difference is somewhere around $60 spread out over 24 months....or $2.50/month. If $2.50/month is putting you in a financial bind, you may want to reevaluate your finances instead of worrying about getting the latest and greatest phone.

Again, the only people I could see really being impacted by the lack of expandable memory are more "power users" who carry multiple micro sd cards on them throughout the day and swap them in and out based on their content. I think this applies to a relatively small portion of users, too, though.

Do I like having a removable battery and expandable memory? Sure. Would it actually sway my decision? Most likely, no.
    sweetypie31 and NickFury45 like this.
    05-27-2015 10:01 AM
    People outside the US don't have plans to change their phones every 6 months and keep their phones at least for 2 years. I maintain, a replaceable battery is a must after 1 year. Sealed battery is a good thing only for big buck companies. I don't care about changing my battery during the day but I feel good knowing that I can replace it when I feel the need.
    05-28-2015 07:39 AM
    I think so long as it still supports fast charging and has at least the same size battery that the Note 4 has, it'll still be a viable option.
    05-28-2015 08:24 AM
    Yesterday I took a train for a two hour trip. It was spirit of the moment thing. Battery went down to 12%. Didn't have the charger, but I did have my spare battery. A 15 second swap out and I smiled big time looking at the 100%. Also, I have a 128GB SD card too. Now I MIGHT can live with a stronger battery that is sealed. But, I wilI not go for them taking both. No way. I would welcome 6 inches too.

Now, if they offer a 256gb at no extra cost, I could live with that.
    05-28-2015 09:12 AM
    A 6" screen would be too much for me.
    05-28-2015 11:12 AM
85 1234