06-11-2015 07:51 AM
85 ... 234
tools
    I hope it's not sealed. I do like the option to swap batteries as needed. If the 5 is sealed I will continue using my note 4 and not upgrade. I can't really imagine big improvements in the note 5 that will compel me to upgrade.

Posted on my Amazing Note 4!
    05-28-2015 10:34 AM
    I hope you've all noticed the pricing of the S6 with extended memory (if you can even get one). That, in itself, is enough to turn off Note buyers, especially since a "base" Note is already more expensive than the S.
    05-28-2015 02:48 PM
    People outside the US don't have plans to change their phones every 6 months and keep their phones at least for 2 years. I maintain, a replaceable battery is a must after 1 year. Sealed battery is a good thing only for big buck companies. I don't care about changing my battery during the day but I feel good knowing that I can replace it when I feel the need.
    To be fair, I'm not familiar with any plans in the US that allows you to change phones every 6 months.....without paying some sort of penalty or upgrade fee. I had my S5 for 12 months when I traded in for the Note 4 and I had to pay AT&T $150, which was the amount of money that I still owed on my contract. My S5 is also the first smartphone I've had for less than 2 years. Prior to that, I had 2 different iPhones over the course of 5 years and I experienced minimal drain in the battery life with both of them. If there were a significant number of people who had battery problems after 1 year, I could understand being strongly opposed to a sealed battery. But I'd say the overwhelming majority of smartphone users throughout the world are going to get at least 18-24 months of solid battery life.

Also, sealed batteries can be replaced with minimal skill and effort should they go bad. I personally never replaced an iPhone battery, but I've got several friends who did and it seemed like a pretty simple process. They ordered the battery online (I believe for around $40) and it came with a small tool kit to help open up the phone and remove the original battery. I'd say it took roughly 5 minutes. I can't imagine that the process for a sealed Galaxy phone like the S6 (or future Notes, should they go that route) will be significantly different.

But if it's really that big of a deal, what's the difference in carrying a spare battery with you vs a portable charger? Both are going to take up roughly the same amount of space in your pocket. It's not like having a sealed battery makes it impossible to charge your phone if you don't have a wall outlet nearby.
    06-03-2015 11:24 AM
    One significant advantage of a replaceable battery (as opposed to an external battery pack) is the ability to put in a larger battery. Using a ZeroLemon or similar battery does limit your choice of cases, and it certainly makes your phone larger and heavier, but it's a lot more convenient than having to carry around a battery and having a cable hanging out of your phone for an hour every now and then (not to mention the risk of damage to your USB port if you have to move around and use your phone with a USB cable sticking out of it).

I had an HTC Thunderbolt that I had to carry around for 2.5 years or so - and the battery life on the stock battery was measured in single-digit hours with minimal screen-on time. I would go from full battery to 15% in 2 hours if I used the screen continuously. I was able to add a $40 extended battery and that usually got me through a workday without sweating it too much. Not ideal, but it was a company issue phone and changing the phone was simply not an option.

Speaking of USB ports - if you manage somehow to hose yours, which happens, a replaceable battery means you can charge a spare using alternate means and swap batteries when your charge gets low. Certainly not all that convenient, but it sure beats replacing a very expensive phone because you managed to munge up the USB port.

It also means you can get into the case more easily and add wireless charging capability if your phone doesn't come with it natively, whereas a sealed case will involve plugging something into the USB port. And it generally (not always) means some components of the phone are easier / cheaper to repair.
    millerwa76 and msndrstood like this.
    06-04-2015 08:56 AM
    Good comments.....definitely a couple things I never thought about or considered, especially the S6 being sealed much tighter than the iPhone and not as easy to open up to replace the battery. It's still not something that would turn me off from future Note phones (or any phone with a sealed battery, for that matter) because I've very rarely found myself running low on battery and not having a power source close by to plug into. And having gone through 2 iPhones, I guess I'm just used to it. But, like I said before, I could see the sealed battery being a big turn off for some power users who basically need 2 batteries to get through a day. To each his own.
    06-04-2015 11:26 AM
    I just barely got my Note 4, so I'm going to be content with it for awhile. My previous phone didn't have a removable battery but the one prior to that did, both had SD card slots. These two features were a major part of my decision to get the Note, I mean major. I am an amateur photographer and rely on the sd card slot every once in awhile to edit and or share photos from my DSLR while I am out and about. I have a flash memory card adapter that I can put the micro SD into the camera with and copy from the camera's other memory card. Then, that micro SD goes in the phone. Yes, I could get a USB OTG cable and even skip a step, but why would I want to carry another device if I might not even need it? Plus, I like backing up my phone pictures manually with the SD card, it's just a workflow that works well for me. Finally, if and when the Verizon Note 4 gets root, it's very important to me to be able to back up my nandroids to an SD card. I keep several SD cards with different backups of ROMs so I can swap and restore. Once again, it's not the only way to do it, but it works well for me.

As for the battery, that's a big one. I don't even have an extra battery yet, because I've only had the Note 4 for a few weeks. But when I do get the spare battery kit, it will be my main go to for charging. I do not want to plug my phone in every day, I'd much rather swap batteries. Also, for the reasons already mentioned, a power pack is not a suitable solution all the time.

Since I just got my Note, I'll be happy with it for at least 2 years. If the next Note doesn't have the SD or removable battery, I'll spend the next two years keeping an eye out for a phone that does. I won't miss the S-Pen that much. Yeah, it's nice, but I'll survive without it. The only Touchwiz feature I really like is multiwindow. A phone with root can achieve a very similar feature with an Xposed module. I also like the popup feature that I use with the calculator. There is a floating calculator in the play store, so no loss there.

To sum it up, I will stay with the Note if the Note 5 or Note 6 have the removable battery SD card slot. If not, I'm sure I can find another suitable phone in the next 2 years. These features are deal makers or breakers.
    06-10-2015 12:04 AM
    I went to my local TMO store today to take a look at the LG G4 as a possible alternative. While there, I used it to take a selfie. OMG! I have to say, I almost traded out for it on the spot! Don't get me wrong, I really like my Note 4. It wasn't just the camera that I loved. The phone performed just as good (better in some areas) as my Note 4. I compared the performance, first-hand. And with the deals that are going on now from TMO and LG, I was tempted. Very tempted. The will they/won't they Samsung mystery about battery and micro SD options isn't helping to keep me married to Samsung. I know one thing, I won't get a Note 5 if the battery is sealed and there's no micro SD option.
    06-10-2015 05:25 PM
    I went to my local TMO store today to take a look at the LG G4 as a possible alternative. While there, I used it to take a selfie. OMG! I have to say, I almost traded out for it on the spot! Don't get me wrong, I really like my Note 4. It wasn't just the camera that I loved. The phone performed just as good (better in some areas) as my Note 4. I compared the performance, first-hand. And with the deals that are going on now from TMO and LG, I was tempted. Very tempted. The will they/won't they Samsung mystery about battery and micro SD options isn't helping to keep me married to Samsung. I know one thing, I won't get a Note 5 if the battery is sealed and there's no micro SD option.
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't put too much stock in the performance of a demo phone. Of course it's going to perform well....it's barely got anything on it to bog the phone down. My phone is only like 3 weeks old, but I've got probably a hundred apps, a bunch of widgets, photos, video, music, and processes galore running on this thing throughout the day. I bet if I walked back into AT&T today and played with the Note 4 on display I'd feel like my phone is a lemon.
    06-11-2015 02:00 AM
    I too like the Replaceable battery. Had a problem once Samsung Galaxy looked at the battery and just changed it instantly for me

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    06-11-2015 02:12 AM
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't put too much stock in the performance of a demo phone. Of course it's going to perform well....it's barely got anything on it to bog the phone down. My phone is only like 3 weeks old, but I've got probably a hundred apps, a bunch of widgets, photos, video, music, and processes galore running on this thing throughout the day. I bet if I walked back into AT&T today and played with the Note 4 on display I'd feel like my phone is a lemon.
    True. But I was still very impressed. The camera and screen aren't affected by the apps, etc., stored on the phone. And they both were amazing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    06-11-2015 07:51 AM
85 ... 234