If the Note 5 has a sealed battery ...

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If/when they seal the battery, yeah, no. I'm done with that line. As it is, I'm pretty darn happy with the N4. Only thing that could make me consider upgrading is if they get a better speaker on it. I get tired of having to cup my hands around the speaker to direct the sound forward if I'm listening to music or watching a video.

That's why there are bluetooth headsets and ear buds :cool:

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
If the battery is sealed, it would need to be one that initially has at LEAST 8-10 hours of *screen on* time capacity. That way, after two years of heavy use, you could reasonably expect a full day with 5-6 hours of screen time out of it.

If it's like the current battery but sealed in, well, I'd miss the S-Pen terribly, but I'd be looking elsewhere. I don't hold any illusions that the battery that came with my Note 4 will be all-day strong a year from now, since it already isn't with as much as I have come to rely on the phone for productivity tasks.

8-10 hours of screen on time? There is nothing that even comes close to that now. The S Pen will not be going away as it defines the Note line. If they seal the battery it will be just as good if not a little better than the Note 4 which the best on the market today.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Not really concerned about the battery as when I go to plug it in at night I'm still around 40% and I'm on the AT&T next program so I'm eligible for a new phone every year should the battery life start to go down. I will be disappointed if they get rid of the micro SD slot thought. Honestly I'm surprised that Samsung made both of these changes with the S6; one of their strong marketing points against the iPhone was the removable battery and micro SD card.

Dial square

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
No... batteries begin to degrade after about 6 months of heavy use. We should be allowed to replace them.
Not correct, lithium ion batteries don't suffer the memory effect and should not degrade over time. All of my previous Android phones still take the same charge as day one. This myth needs to be put to rest.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
No... batteries begin to degrade after about 6 months of heavy use. We should be allowed to replace them. A bum battery will make your phone worth nothing for resale...
I'll be looking elsewhere...

Posted via the Android Central App

Had S4 2 years. Battery didn't degrade. Different technology these days.

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
it would force me to look into switching brands. not saying im leaving for sure but id look hard at others. i have no use for the spen, but i love the size, battery removal is important to me and so is SD card

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
No one denies that it is an awesome phone! :) however, I wonder how great you are going to think it is in 6 months when your battery life starts to degrade, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it... I bet you're not going to be terribly happy then...

Battery technology is different these days and batteries don't degrade as quick. Research it. Had my S4 for 2 years. It's battery is still as strong as before. If what you said was true, why do people buy IPhone?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Not correct, lithium ion batteries don't suffer the memory effect and should not degrade over time. All of my previous Android phones still take the same charge as day one. This myth needs to be put to rest.

Lithium batteries have improved significantly but they still degrade over time.

BNL Newsroom | Scientists Pinpoint the Creeping Nanocrystals Behind Lithium-Ion Battery Degradation

Scientists pinpoint exact reason why lithium-ion batteries degrade over time - Electronic Products

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Nope, sealed/embedded battery is a deal breaker! I want the OPTION of being able to swap out for a fresh battery to get back to a full charge in minutes, as well as keep the phone free from ever being tethered to a charging cable/source. I find that invaluable! I also refuse to accept the planned obsolescence of a sealed/embedded battery as I tend to keep my devices for years (ex. still have my Note 2).

Same for me. In fact, this is one of the main reasons that I just bought a new Note 4 over an S6 to replace my S3. My wife felt the same way, so she just replaced her S3 with an S5 since she didn't like the size of the Note 4.

I swap my battery with a new one every year and do the same for my wife's phone. Takes a minute and costs about ten beans to get a decent quality Anker replacement. A non-replaceable battery is a complete deal breaker for me..especially on a $600-$800 device. I would switch to another manufacturer.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sealed is fine. But they better not put a smaller battery in the note 5 just because they want the phone to be thinner than an iPhone.

The main issue I have with the S6 is the needlessly small battery just so the phone could be 0.1mm thinner than the iPhone 6. As if anyone will care...

I wish OEMs would start with a minimal target for battery life/size and then figure out how to build the best phone around that constraint rather than building the thinnest phone they can and then fitting as much battery as they can into that limited space. Phones became 'thin enough' ages ago.

Posted via Android Central App

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Just my thought, but I don't see the SD card slot going away on the note 5. Maybe the battery might be sealed due to external battery chargers becoming more popular. Given the nature of the note series, using it for a job or school, the SD slot will be needed for a large amount of data transfer. Granted cloud services are becoming more popular for data storage and transfer but more and more people are on limited data plans. Wifi Hotspots, at least for me, is somewhat limited.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the Note series because (1) screen size (2) replaceable battery (3) s-pen. If the battery were sealed, without question I would be evaluating other large-screen devices. Pen would be desirable but not required and price would be a factor.

lee Tovell

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I moved from iPhone to the note 4 for a fue reasons screen size . Removable battery . The fact it don't have to depend on iTunes . Spen and the thing which won me expandable memory. If the note 5 don't have an sd slot I'll have to revaluate hait the push to online storage

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I'll just sit down and cry if the N5 has a sealed battery! LOL! Seriously though, I will so pissed at Samsung if they do that, that for the first time in years, I will look to other vendors for my next phone. What I want in my next phone is so similar to the Note 2 except for a battery camera and screen brightness and a bit more resolution. I want the Note 5 to hit at least 750 nits when outdoors, like the Note 4. I don't really "need" much in the way of additional features. The S5 doesn't have anywhere near the same brightness as the Note 4, btw.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I don't care whether they do or do not suffer a memory effect, or if they should or should not degrade over time . They do in fact degrade.

At least, that is my experience with multiple batteries. And no, I don't know why, but it happens to me on every phone that I've had, droid 1, Droid 2, galaxy s3, galaxy s5, note 3. I do believe all of them had lithium ion batteries, at least the three Samsung phones did.

I realize that comments on battery life can be very subjective, but when you go from only having to put your phone on a charger at night to not being able to make it through the middle of the afternoon on a consistent basis, and you haven't changed anything or added any new apps, I believe it is safe to say that your battery has degraded for some reason, whether it's because of a memory effect or not.

Maybe they're overheating because I use them too much, or because I live in the south, who knows?

It's not a myth if it's happening to you! Just ask your average iPhone user who's had their phone over 6 months and can't get through half a day without finding a charger, because I know plenty of people in that boat :)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery technology is different these days and batteries don't degrade as quick. Research it. Had my S4 for 2 years. It's battery is still as strong as before. If what you said was true, why do people buy IPhone?

I have no doubt that they are better than they used to be. And I don't really understand what makes them degrade, but I promise you it does happen to me. I do use my phone a lot though and I use it for work, so I imagine that that has something to do with it. I can only tell you this is my experience, but I really can't tell you why... :)

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
No... batteries begin to degrade after about 6 months of heavy use. We should be allowed to replace them. A bum battery will make your phone worth nothing for resale...
I'll be looking elsewhere...

Define heavy use. I have never had a battery degrade (noticeably) after 6 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool