If the Note 5 has a sealed battery ...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Define heavy use. I have never had a battery degrade (noticeably) after 6 months.
Yes, I guess even the statement "heavy use" is subjective. My average day is something like this... we have a fishing resort.

My phone starts going off with text messages or calls about 6 am for people needing shuttles, employees that can't come in because they have car problems, or customers needing something before we open at 7 am.

Then, I'm calling and texting fishing guides to schedule trips, and answering questions via text and phone calls for housekeeping.

Then, I'm taking video of customers and uploading to youtube, sending and receiving photos from customers, and posting them to my various social media streams via Hootsuite, and assigning tasks to office staff, via Gmail usually, and answering questions and phone calls from my husband.

And to keep my life straight, I'm using Evernote a bunch lately. Oh, and every time I get into a vehicle to shuttle somewhere, it has my entire music library so I can listen to music, connected through bluetooth to my vehicle's radio.

At night, it's my primary reader for Kindle books. Then, before I go to bed, I run the White Noise app, connected to a bluetooth speaker all night so I can sleep. (I usually put it on the charger while I'm in the shower in the morning, then start all over again.)

So, I really do use it throughout the entire day, as it is part of my workflow, and part of my life, really. And yes, my batteries degrade, noticeably, after about 6 months.

Last edited:

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I currently own the Note 3 and since my 2 year contract renewed when I purchased it, I was kinda forced to skip the 4 and wait for the 5. I too carry a spare battery with me and love the fact that I can change it out in just a minute or two and be ready to go again. If the 5 is sealed it may change my decision on buying it. I do use the S-pen regularly for work though, so there is that to consider as well. I guess for me, I'll have to wait and see how the pros and cons measure up.

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
8-10 hours of screen on time? There is nothing that even comes close to that now.

Right, which is exactly why I don't want to commit to something that has 5 hours of screen-on time today, which is barely adequate for my own personal needs (your needs may differ), knowing that within a couple of years my ongoing heavy use of the battery means I'm down to 3.5 or 4 hours of screen time and I have to start carrying around an external battery to get through the day.

But as far as the 8 hours screen time not being available.... If your phone has a removable back cover, it is most certainly available - provided you are willing to carry a heavier phone, which is a trade-off for sure. But a trade-off many are willing to make.

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 8000mAh Extended Battery. Hyperion High Capacity 8000mAh Extended Battery and Back Cover for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 / IV **Now with NFC!** (Compatible all Galaxy Note 4 [SM-N910 & SM-N915] US and International Ver

Amazon.com: [180 Days Warranty] Zerolemon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 10000mah Extended Battery + NFC + Rugged Black Zero Shock Hybrid Protection Case - World's Highest Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Capacity Battery with World's Only Universal Form Fitting

I had an HTC Thunderbolt. Had to carry it for two years because it was a corporate issue phone and the company would neither replace it nor allow me to BYOD. Battery life was under 3 hours of screen on time the day I got it and down to 2.5 hours after 6 months. $40 and a heavier phone later, I had a 6-hour screen on time, and that battery lasted a lot longer (possibly because I wasn't discharging it to phone shutdown twice a day).

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
If the Note 5 has a non removable battery and no expandable storage it will still be my next device. I will just have to pay more for the 64 GB version instead of getting the 32 GB version. The Note 4 has amazing battery life and I upgrade my phone every year so a non removable battery is irrelevant to me.

Posted via the AT&T Note 4

Last edited:

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd look elsewhere possibly LG, I use both alot especially my spare battery! I like the freedom of being able to change my battery, I think Apple and other companies used sealed in batteries to make you upgrade after they won't hold their full charge after a couple of years and I don't like that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the bigger worry will be when they lock the launcher option down, only touchwizz and the complete Samsung experience.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the bigger worry will be when they lock the launcher option down, only touchwizz and the complete Samsung experience.

I suppose that could happen. They could hardcode the default "home button" activity in and make it so you can't clear it. I would think any move in that direction would be met with a tsunami of nerd rage.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm more thinking along the lines that they want to differentiate their products from the rest of the Android devices. To compete with Apple directly and not just one of many.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm more thinking along the lines that they want to differentiate their products from the rest of the Android devices. To compete with Apple directly and not just one of many.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

They already have. I wanted a Nexus 6 because vanilla Android.

However, the Nexus 6 doesn't have a removable battery. The Nexus 6 doesn't have expandable memory. The Nexus 6 doesn't have S-Pen.

I can see, for some lines, sealing in the battery. It makes the case cheaper to build and without the need of a way to open it you can make a nicer case.

I can see removing the SD slot. Your Android build becomes simpler, not having to support permanently-attached external storage.

But those were left in, despite the design and cost compromises, because they are a positive difference that those looking for a productivity-oriented phone would go for. Sammy made me overcome my long-term hatred of all things TouchWiz with the Note 4.

Unless Sammy is going to start co-branding home screens or something, there's no value for them in locking down their phones to their specific launcher. And there's no value for their customers, either.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
No removable battery even though I haven't had the need to remove mine or change it out yet, or no Micro Sd card - no buy. Some things are inherently Android and those 2 things are a part of the experience. If I wanted an Iphone I would go get one. The S6 is a nice phone but was disappointed in learning that Sammy decided to take away those 2 things. You will lose a lot of the Note fan base if you do the same with the Note 5 Sammy.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
No. No. No.

I buy extended batteries for all of my phones. Stock never lasts more than 7 hours or so. I want to charge once a day and done. Battery anxiety is a disease and I have a horrible case.

via The Note 4

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
No removable battery even though I haven't had the need to remove mine or change it out yet, or no Micro Sd card - no buy. Some things are inherently Android and those 2 things are a part of the experience. If I wanted an Iphone I would go get one. The S6 is a nice phone but was disappointed in learning that Sammy decided to take away those 2 things. You will lose a lot of the Note fan base if you do the same with the Note 5 Sammy.

I'd be OK with both being gone. I don't think going in this direction is about being more iphone but rather better reliability without an SD card and advances in battery charging technology. HTC, LG and others already went down this road.

That said, the NOTE 5 won't be a larger S6 where it will pick up styling cues from it.

I firmly believe the Note brand is its own class (productivity). In that class SD card expansion and removable batteries are necessary to keep the base users productive.

Conversely, I do see sealed batteries in the future based on improved technology. Quick charing really is something all devices should adopt but also battery life improvements will be made. Additionally, I also see the removal of SD card slots as they serve as points of failure and are slow compared to internal storage.

Either way Note users won't abandon ship because of changes. Many said this about the s6 and sales have far exceeded expectations, including Samsung's . The same will go for the Note 5.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No. No. No.

I buy extended batteries for all of my phones. Stock never lasts more than 7 hours or so. I want to charge once a day and done. Battery anxiety is a disease and I have a horrible case.

via The Note 4

I never buy extended batteries and my Notes, first one, 2, 3 and now 4, always get a full day charge.

Last edited:

patriotaki

Banned
May 9, 2015
Visit site
i wouldnt buy the note 5 if it had non removable battery and no microsd card slot!
Note series is for power users not for guys that talk to the phone all day long!
you need microsd card because 2K and 4K movies are big! you need storage to store your movies and enjoy the movie!

I am considering the Note 5 edge with extra edge features!

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if they made a revolutionary advance in battery life by not having it removable but the S6 battery life hasn't gained anything by being sealed shut in it. As far as the SD card being slower I never buy the bottom of the barrel always pick up the fastest available and pay a little more for the speed. 128gb on top of my 32Gb Note 4 is plenty of space for now, maybe next year move up to 256gb SD.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
<snip>...Either way Note users won't abandon ship because of changes. Many said this about the s6 and sales have far exceeded expectations, including Samsung's . The same will go for the Note 5.

Then you haven't been reading this thread very carefully. Lots of people will jump ship, myself included.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
That is a tough one. I love having access to my battery and being able to swap to a fresh one. Also, I love having a removable memory source. I love the note series (I had all 4) and if they change it that way I don't know if I'd stick around for it. What are the advantages of an enclosed battery and no memory card slot?

Galaxy Note 4
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Galaxy Tab 2
Galaxy Gear S/ Gear 1 Tizen
Galaxy Circle/ Gear Level speaker

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech