07-09-2015 07:57 PM
111 ... 2345
tools
    I'm just curious how many people use the stock messaging app vs hangouts or something else. I'm on verizon and have their messaging app that backs up, is fairly customizable and is actually pretty nice. I've been trying that one for the last few days. Not sure what I'm going to stick with though.

Sent from my Note 4
    Used/tried the stock Samsung Messaging and now on the Hangouts since for some reason that's the only way I can communicate with my workmates who use iOS. Interestingly enough they don't receive my texts when I'm using Samsung's. Maybe my settings? I'll have to try VzW since that's my carrier.
    05-03-2015 04:24 PM
    Used/tried the stock Samsung Messaging and now on the Hangouts since for some reason that's the only way I can communicate with my workmates who use iOS. Interestingly enough they don't receive my texts when I'm using Samsung's. Maybe my settings? I'll have to try VzW since that's my carrier.
    It's probably not your settings it's their settings. Did you have an iPhone prior to this phone?

Sent from my Note 4
    05-03-2015 04:35 PM
    It's probably not your settings it's their settings. Did you have an iPhone prior to this phone?

Sent from my Note 4
    Yes on the iPhone. But now in Hangouts SMS/MMS goes two ways with the exception that there's a delay(?) when receiving, sometimes into the minutes. Kind of like a delayed reaction to a joke: "Ah, now I get it! Ha ha ha ha ha. . ." But the moment has already passed.
    05-03-2015 04:41 PM
    I'm fascinated by what I've learned of handcent in this thread. I've used handcent for at least 3-4 years, have never had ads, and to this day have still never seen an ad. However, I am running a Note 2 still on 4.1.1 and I haven't updated handcent in over 1 1/2 years haha. So I guess that's the secret, don't update OS or the app and things act as they always did hah.
    05-03-2015 04:46 PM
    I'm fascinated by what I've learned of handcent in this thread. I've used handcent for at least 3-4 years, have never had ads, and to this day have still never seen an ad. However, I am running a Note 2 still on 4.1.1 and I haven't updated handcent in over 1 1/2 years haha. So I guess that's the secret, don't update OS or the app and things act as they always did hah.
    Yes it was the last update that added ads that look like an unread conversation on the main screen. Before that they were tiny ones at the bottom of the page, don't remember when that was added but it's been a while.
    My biggest gripe wasn't the ads but all the bloat. Ads as conversations just made me finally look elsewhere , sort of a last straw.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-04-2015 06:17 AM
    Been using Textra for a year or so and I've tried a few others, messenger, hangouts, etc...but always go back. I support apps that I use often and don't mind one single bit that I paid a whole .99 cents to get rid of ads.

Posted via the Android Central App
    babygirl0419 and shamdawg like this.
    05-04-2015 07:23 AM
    If there is both a free and paid version for an app, I will always buy the paid version, even if there aren't any ads on the free one (once I've had a chance to evaluate the app). It's just a dollar or two to express appreciation and, hopefully, the developer will continue to support the app. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.
    05-04-2015 10:07 AM
    Since you came from an iphone you will need to call Apple customer service to get this problem fixed. Once Apple releases your number from imessage then you'll be able to use the stock app.
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    05-05-2015 01:28 AM
    Hangout
    05-05-2015 05:03 AM
    The only thing I don't like about the stock messages app is the lack of a sent message sound. I really like to have that. Or have I overlooked that setting somewhere? Currently using Google Messenger.

Sent from my SM-N910T
    05-05-2015 09:06 AM
    I mainly use whatsapp. Snapchat here and there and line whenever I visit the Asian countries!
    05-05-2015 09:16 AM
    8sms dark theme. I'm a dinosaur and prefer to act like a dinosaur.
    05-05-2015 09:18 AM
    I like the "raise phone to ear and call" feature that the Stock Messages app has. Think its been in TouchWiz since maybe the S3 days?

Makes it super easy to transition from a text conversation to a voice one. When in the Stock Messages app, just raise the phone to your ear and the person you've been texting with will be called.
    05-05-2015 08:27 PM
    I like the "raise phone to ear and call" feature that the Stock Messages app has. Think its been in TouchWiz since maybe the S3 days?

Make is super easy to transition from a text conversation to a voice one. When in the Stock Messages app, just raise the phone to your ear and the person you've been texting with will be called.
    That's kinda neat.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-05-2015 08:34 PM
    Been using textra like the built in Glifs

Gn4
    05-05-2015 08:42 PM
    Used Textra and recently changed to Verizon's Messages+.
    If I didn't have Verizon I would definitely go back to Textra. Liked it so much that I paid a buck in appreciation of all the use I got out of it and to make sure it was still around if I ever change carriers or decide to go back.
    FSU30 likes this.
    05-06-2015 12:48 AM
    stock
    05-06-2015 03:14 AM
    I and my parents went back to Textra and each paid the $1. Messenger is terrible as text messages were not going though. My mother text someone that she buys from which never got the message after she called him saying that he text her back but she never got it. Then she text her friend in Florida but never got a response as the message most likely never went though. She said she wanted to go back to Textra. My mother said she would pay the $2 for both phones a month and I said that it was only a one time $1 per device purchase and she said that it is. So she paid it and my fathers phone she will pay tonight and I also payed the $1 too.
    05-06-2015 01:46 PM
    ZipWhip. I love it because I can send and receive text messages from my desktop.
    05-08-2015 11:15 PM
    Mighty Text is a free app and you can use any text app and still send and receive messages through the desktop. It comes with a Chrome button for the desktop also.
    05-09-2015 12:14 AM
    Disa
    05-09-2015 12:43 AM
    Using the stock app for now on my G3. I really like the Google messenger app but it doesn't give you slot of attachment options.

I'm telling you....give VZW Messages a try. You'll really like the attachment capabilities!

spotnjack likes this.
    06-10-2015 01:45 PM
    Really? Hmm.. I send maybe 2-3 SMS a YEAR... I send hundreds of messages via Line or Whatsapp though!
    06-10-2015 03:00 PM
    I and my parents went back to Textra and each paid the $1. Messenger is terrible as text messages were not going though. My mother text someone that she buys from which never got the message after she called him saying that he text her back but she never got it. Then she text her friend in Florida but never got a response as the message most likely never went though. She said she wanted to go back to Textra. My mother said she would pay the $2 for both phones a month and I said that it was only a one time $1 per device purchase and she said that it is. So she paid it and my fathers phone she will pay tonight and I also payed the $1 too.
    Did the ad really went away when you paid the $1?
    06-10-2015 04:49 PM
    I used Handcent for a few years until lately I was getting texts from companies advertising, so I uninstalled it back to stock message app, it's fine, you can still have different text tones for each contact using mp3's etc just by adding items to notifications/media folder, which is ok for me.
    06-10-2015 05:13 PM
111 ... 2345