What app do you use for messages?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious how many people use the stock messaging app vs hangouts or something else. I'm on verizon and have their messaging app that backs up, is fairly customizable and is actually pretty nice. I've been trying that one for the last few days. Not sure what I'm going to stick with though.

Sent from my Note 4

textra

hpl

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Hangouts. I even made my friends who are iPhone users get it so they could talk to me

Posted via the Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Was using stock but after 640 characters it converts to mms, so switched to google messenger so far so good although miss being able to schedule when my messages where sent.

Sorry, I don't know a lot about this but trying to learn. Why is it bad that it converts to MMS? (I thought MMS was just for when you attached a photo.) Does that have any impact on how the text is sent or received? Or does it create a delay of some sort?

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm still deciding if I want to pay for ad free textra or switch to something else. I dig the dark theme on it, and use a dark themed SwiftKey keyboard so I like having the dark simple interface. I'm sure other apps would allow it, but I like Textra all around really. I think when I got the notification for textra charging for a pro version it was only a couple bucks for an annual subscription which doesn't seem bad tbh. Sucks they're charging after all this time but if it's minimal it's no biggie to me tbh

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use the Samsung stock messaging app. It works, it is easy to learn and to use, the orange color is perfect, and I don't need to load yet another app onto my phone.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Textra, just paid for the Pro version, it is one time fee and only 87 cent . Enjoyed it free for 3 years so time to dev to make some money on his/her hard work.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Textra, just paid for the Pro version, it is one time fee and only 87 cent . Enjoyed it free for 3 years so time to dev to make some money on his/her hard work.
The developer got greedy. He/She whoever already charges for another texting app. Just Textra got more popular so the developer decided to milk more money out of a free app.

Just started getting ads in Textra just a few moments ago actually.
I also refuse to use a app that now has annoying ads. Ads in a texting app makes no sense like video ads in a radio app. Stupid and pointless and all it does is waste your data cap on mobile.

Heck at least there are alternatives and Messenger looks promising. I already showed my parents and they like it so far.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've switched to Textra after years of using Handcent.
When I was on Verizon I used Verizon Messages. It's a dandy thing to be able to use that app on tablets or desktop and have phone texts come to them real time.

Oh my gosh I did not know that! I could hug you! :D I just switched to Verizon and love the messaging app. Like to use only my tablet in the hot tub. Been missing being able to receive my texts on the tablet. Thank you! :)

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The developer got greedy. He/She whoever already charges for another texting app. Just Textra got more popular so the developer decided to milk more money out of a free app.

I also refuse to use a app that now has annoying ads. Ads in a texting app makes no sense like video ads in a radio app. Stupid and pointless and all it does is waste your data cap on mobile.

Heck at least there are alternatives and Messenger looks promising. I already showed my parents and they like it so far.

How quickly we feel entitled to benefit from these developers work for free. You can continue to enjoy Textra for free, albeit with ads. I don't understand begrudging such a small amount (less than $1) as a one-time thank you for an app you find useful. I wouldn't give up an app that I liked and worked well on my phone just to avoid paying a small fee. I think it's wonderful that we can download free or low-cost apps from the Play Store on as many devices as we want, also. After paying a large amount for a phone, I'm willing to spend a few dollars to have it equipped with the apps I like the best. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that I think people that not only develop but maintain their apps SHOULD receive some remuneration. JMHO.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
How quickly we feel entitled to benefit from these developers work for free. You can continue to enjoy Textra for free, albeit with ads. I don't understand begrudging such a small amount (less than $1) as a one-time thank you for an app you find useful. I wouldn't give up an app that I liked and worked well on my phone just to avoid paying a small fee. I think it's wonderful that we can download free or low-cost apps from the Play Store on as many devices as we want, also. After paying a large amount for a phone, I'm willing to spend a few dollars to have it equipped with the apps I like the best. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that I think people that not only develop but maintain their apps SHOULD receive some remuneration. JMHO.
I paid the .99 for pro on Textra. My problem and why I did not going pro with Handcent was the app is full of bloat, works hit and miss for mms for me and they wanted a monthly subscription. Yes it'll do more if I'm interested in Handcent online services but I'm not.
Almost every app I have that offers a paid version I have the paid, whether it has ads or not, whether the paid gives extras over the freebie or not. Speedtest is the only one I haven't upgraded to yet.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude