Sorry if someone has already asked this, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for on the forums.

Since I've had my new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (about a month now) I've struggled with the battery life. Originally when it was on kitkat 4.4(.4?) out of the box I would get to about 10-15% battery by the end of the day of moderate use. As I started to install more apps and get it working how I wanted it to, the battery life gradually decreased, so I started using it less to last through the day.

I upgraded to Lollipop maybe 2 weeks ago and things have only got worse. Originally it was an email app that wasn't optimized for lollipop that was draining about 3 times as much power as the screen and loads of data, but I got rid of that hoping it would solve my problems. It hasn't.

My battery life isn't terrible, so I probably can't get anywhere with the "faulty" card but I now rarely last the day without an additional charge... on light use. Today, I unplugged my phone at 6am. I've hardly used it - some text messages, whatsapp, an hour or so of reading, maybe 20 emails (received) and my total screen time is under 2 hours. By 1pm I'm down to 50% battery. If I actually use it I can easily drain 10% in 30 minutes.

Also when it's in my pocket it is almost always too hot - hotter than it used to be before lollipop. I don't have any apps draining more power than the screen anymore but "Google App" is up there at almost the same usage percentage. My email app has used just under half what my screen has used.

I've been in a wifi zone all day so apps have been downloading/uploading through that.

I'd like to get to the stage where I can use my phone properly again (about twice the amount I did today) and still have enough battery to last until I go to bed. My old Nokia Lumia used to be able to do that with only a charge every other day and the note 4 battery is larger, so I don't think 1 day is too much to ask.

From reading through the forums it appears it may already be time for a factory reset and clean reinstall of lollipop. If you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear it.

If a hard reset is the only option, please can someone tell me if there is a way to back up and restore without manually adjusting all the settings (that I've built up gradually over the past month of owning my first android phone!)? When my wife had to factory reset her lumia recently, all her apps, settings, contacts, photos etc went right back to how they used to be automatically within a few hours of her re-linking it to her Microsoft account.

Any help much appreciated, sorry for rambling!!
    04-29-2015 10:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! A few things to consider:

1. Any change in cell signal? Poor signal leads to battery drain, and can also make the phone heat up.

2. A corrupt file on the SD card can also cause overheating and battery drain. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot--see if the problem persists.

3. The S6 has an issue with excessive Cell Standby which can be temporarily solved by turning off wi-fi, or avoiding the 5 GHz band. See this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4389262

It would also help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-central.html
    04-29-2015 12:07 PM