Sorry if someone has already asked this, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for on the forums.

Since I've had my new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (about a month now) I've struggled with the battery life. Originally when it was on kitkat 4.4(.4?) out of the box I would get to about 10-15% battery by the end of the day of moderate use. As I started to install more apps and get it working how I wanted it to, the battery life gradually decreased, so I started using it less to last through the day.

I upgraded to Lollipop maybe 2 weeks ago and things have only got worse. Originally it was an email app that wasn't optimized for lollipop that was draining about 3 times as much power as the screen and loads of data, but I got rid of that hoping it would solve my problems. It hasn't.

My battery life isn't terrible, so I probably can't get anywhere with the "faulty" card but I now rarely last the day without an additional charge... on light use. Today, I unplugged my phone at 6am. I've hardly used it - some text messages, whatsapp, an hour or so of reading, maybe 20 emails (received) and my total screen time is under 2 hours. By 1pm I'm down to 50% battery. If I actually use it I can easily drain 10% in 30 minutes.

Also when it's in my pocket it is almost always too hot - hotter than it used to be before lollipop. I don't have any apps draining more power than the screen anymore but "Google App" is up there at almost the same usage percentage. My email app has used just under half what my screen has used.

I've been in a wifi zone all day so apps have been downloading/uploading through that.

I'd like to get to the stage where I can use my phone properly again (about twice the amount I did today) and still have enough battery to last until I go to bed. My old Nokia Lumia used to be able to do that with only a charge every other day and the note 4 battery is larger, so I don't think 1 day is too much to ask.

From reading through the forums it appears it may already be time for a factory reset and clean reinstall of lollipop. If you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear it.

If a hard reset is the only option, please can someone tell me if there is a way to back up and restore without manually adjusting all the settings (that I've built up gradually over the past month of owning my first android phone!)? When my wife had to factory reset her lumia recently, all her apps, settings, contacts, photos etc went right back to how they used to be automatically within a few hours of her re-linking it to her Microsoft account.

Any help much appreciated, sorry for rambling!!
    04-29-2015 10:57 AM
    Hey,

I've noticed that many of my friends who already got Lolippop on their devices noticed that some of their daily use apps aren't optimized for 5.0 and drained a lot of battery, not just that but they also loads of "task killers" and "clean masters" and etc..

Since they did their hard reset their battery stats are looking very good and "standard" with around 4 hours 45 minutes as screen time.

The only app I recommend is Greenify if you are into those types of apps.

With that being said.. I seriously recommend you to factory reset.

Also make sure you get apps that been updated their lolipop revision. (it helped a lot one of my friends who tests alpha apps)

Also remember to put your push notifications for a minimum, and screen brightness around 50%. There is some really good guides on how to deal with Battery Life on daily use around the forum you can check out.

P.S Let us know with a battery stat after the factory reset.
    04-29-2015 11:02 AM
    Wow, greenify looks good. But how do I factory reset without having to spend days re-setting all my settings (and remembering what I set them all to last time)? Is there a backup/restore process that puts everything back where it was including settings?
    04-29-2015 11:30 AM
    Of you search for Samsung keis and use that it will save you a good chunk of time. You simply plug your phone in and back it up. Once you reset you can restore that backup.
    04-29-2015 12:06 PM
    Is that software for my PC? What does it do exactly?
    04-29-2015 12:20 PM
    Wow, greenify looks good. But how do I factory reset without having to spend days re-setting all my settings (and remembering what I set them all to last time)? Is there a backup/restore process that puts everything back where it was including settings?
    I did a factory reset on my Note 4 2 days ago. Google will automatically reinstall most of your apps with little intervention. All I needed to do was install a few missing apps and setup my launcher and notifications to how I had them. I was 99% back to normal within 2 or 3 hours after the factory reset.

It's not near as daunting as some people seem to think.
    04-29-2015 12:28 PM
    Keis is only for contacts, messages, etc. It will not back up your application data. No app will do that unless you have rooted your phone. This is the last remaining big downside for android vs iOS.

I am probably going to reset my phone in a couple of days, so I can tell you what I am doing to ease the pain of restoring as much as possible:

1) I have purchase "My Backup Pro" to backup my call log, sms mms, system settings. It will also backup contacts, as well as some other things, but I keep all that stuff in the cloud, so it will be reloaded automatically.

2) I use a number of apps that allow you to save their settings (Nova Launcher, gReader Pro, Dropsync, Elixar Widgets, Popup widgets, Moon Reader). I have made sure that all my backups are current.

3) For apps with local downloads (Kindle reader, Humble Bundle, Amazon App Store, Audible Reader), I take screenshots of the screens that tell me
    what I have downloaded.

4) I use dropsync to synchronize my local backups, photo, music, ringtones, etc. I make sure that all of these backups are up to date.

I think that covers anything. If anyone has any ideas for things I might have missed, please let me know.
    04-29-2015 12:56 PM
    Seems with Lollipop, that Google reinstalls apps and a lot of things, much easier to set up.

I sync my contacts to my Google account so I never have to back them up, they are "in the cloud".
    04-29-2015 01:53 PM
    Keis is only for contacts, messages, etc. It will not back up your application data. No app will do that unless you have rooted your phone. This is the last remaining big downside for android vs iOS.

I am probably going to reset my phone in a couple of days, so I can tell you what I am doing to ease the pain of restoring as much as possible:

1) I have purchase "My Backup Pro" to backup my call log, sms mms, system settings. It will also backup contacts, as well as some other things, but I keep all that stuff in the cloud, so it will be reloaded automatically.

2) I use a number of apps that allow you to save their settings (Nova Launcher, gReader Pro, Dropsync, Elixar Widgets, Popup widgets, Moon Reader). I have made sure that all my backups are current.

3) For apps with local downloads (Kindle reader, Humble Bundle, Amazon App Store, Audible Reader), I take screenshots of the screens that tell me
    what I have downloaded.

4) I use dropsync to synchronize my local backups, photo, music, ringtones, etc. I make sure that all of these backups are up to date.

I think that covers anything. If anyone has any ideas for things I might have missed, please let me know.
    A question about #2 above. I, too, have Nova launcher on a tablet and plan to put it on my new Note 4 (when I get around to getting it). I know i've backed up my settings on the tablet, but it just saves it to the tablet. So not much use if I don't save it somewhere else obviously. First, how do I find that file? Second, do you think I could email it to myself and then have it available if needing to restore those settings? When restoring, where do I put the file back on the tablet (or in OP's case, phone)? Sorry for such dumb questions, but the file structure and naming conventions of these Android devices still baffles me.
    04-29-2015 02:12 PM
    A question about #2 above. I, too, have Nova launcher on a tablet and plan to put it on my new Note 4 (when I get around to getting it). I know i've backed up my settings on the tablet, but it just saves it to the tablet. So not much use if I don't save it somewhere else obviously. First, how do I find that file? Second, do you think I could email it to myself and then have it available if needing to restore those settings? When restoring, where do I put the file back on the tablet (or in OP's case, phone)? Sorry for such dumb questions, but the file structure and naming conventions of these Android devices still baffles me.
    The backups are stored in data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/backup

I copy my entire data folder to the cloud with dropbox, but you cold also just copy the back file with Android file transfer.
    geekaren and radicchio like this.
    04-29-2015 02:17 PM
    Sorry if someone has already asked this, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for on the forums.

Since I've had my new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (about a month now) I've struggled with the battery life. Originally when it was on kitkat 4.4(.4?) out of the box I would get to about 10-15% battery by the end of the day of moderate use. As I started to install more apps and get it working how I wanted it to, the battery life gradually decreased, so I started using it less to last through the day.

I upgraded to Lollipop maybe 2 weeks ago and things have only got worse. Originally it was an email app that wasn't optimized for lollipop that was draining about 3 times as much power as the screen and loads of data, but I got rid of that hoping it would solve my problems. It hasn't.

My battery life isn't terrible, so I probably can't get anywhere with the "faulty" card but I now rarely last the day without an additional charge... on light use. Today, I unplugged my phone at 6am. I've hardly used it - some text messages, whatsapp, an hour or so of reading, maybe 20 emails (received) and my total screen time is under 2 hours. By 1pm I'm down to 50% battery. If I actually use it I can easily drain 10% in 30 minutes.

Also when it's in my pocket it is almost always too hot - hotter than it used to be before lollipop. I don't have any apps draining more power than the screen anymore but "Google App" is up there at almost the same usage percentage. My email app has used just under half what my screen has used.

I've been in a wifi zone all day so apps have been downloading/uploading through that.

I'd like to get to the stage where I can use my phone properly again (about twice the amount I did today) and still have enough battery to last until I go to bed. My old Nokia Lumia used to be able to do that with only a charge every other day and the note 4 battery is larger, so I don't think 1 day is too much to ask.

From reading through the forums it appears it may already be time for a factory reset and clean reinstall of lollipop. If you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear it.

If a hard reset is the only option, please can someone tell me if there is a way to back up and restore without manually adjusting all the settings (that I've built up gradually over the past month of owning my first android phone!)? When my wife had to factory reset her lumia recently, all her apps, settings, contacts, photos etc went right back to how they used to be automatically within a few hours of her re-linking it to her Microsoft account.

Any help much appreciated, sorry for rambling!!
    Do it yet? I am anxiously awaiting. My battery is terrible as well since the update.
    04-29-2015 07:08 PM