Rooting Advice please: can I get Mass Storage + will I lose functions?

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm very new to Android.

Just bought a Note 4 and am thinking of rooting it. Done a load of reading but would just like clarification please on:

1) Is there an app/fix to make my phone USB mass storage compatible so I can put it into my car stereo to read like a USB stick so I can access tunes that way? I've looked at SG enabler etc but none of them I see mention Note 4.

2) Maybe a silly question but I understand you root you lose the bloatware, which is great, but does it also mean I will lose functions like all the S-pen stuff, the camera functions like Optical Image Stabilisation etc etc etc? i.e. will I lose all those things abotuthe Note 4 that is meant to make the Note 4 great? Or are some ROMs (if that's the right word?) inclusive of all these bits? Or can you get other apps that will do all the things you lose?

Any advice appreciated please thank you in advance :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you plug your phone into any device that recognizes USB sticks, it should be seen by default by that device as a USB stick. At least, that's how mine works. Have you tried simply jacking your phone into the stereo?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well first, which carrier is your phone?

Also you don't lose bloatware, you have the ability to uninstall bloatware.

I root and don't use a custom ROM, my phone looks the same but I can move a lot of apps to the SD card, decide what auto starts, delete any apps and freeze apps from running.

I can't root my N4 yet because it is AT&T.

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have natehoy and it comes up as "not compatible" hence the question. Something to do with android going from mass storage to mtp at some point.

Edit: ah you mean use a jack to jack for aux input? Yeah I could do that but it's worse quality and might interfere with bluetooth running properly and isn't the same anyway as I d like to use menus on the stereo.

Last edited:

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Well first, which carrier is your phone?

Also you don't lose bloatware, you have the ability to uninstall bloatware.

I root and don't use a custom ROM, my phone looks the same but I can move a lot of apps to the SD card, decide what auto starts, delete any apps and freeze apps from running.

I can't root my N4 yet because it is AT&T.

Aaaah ok. That is better. So I can keep whatever I want? Is that just your specific type of rom or root or whatever or are they mostly like that?

I'm with EE in England.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Aaaah ok. That is better. So I can keep whatever I want? Is that just your specific type of rom or root or whatever or are they mostly like that?

I'm with EE in England.

Well you can load a custom ROM or not load a ROM, just keep your phone just like it is, but just be able to delete what you want. There are ROMS that are keep your phone looking basically the same but have more features or ones that are less Samsung and more pure Android.

I never load a custom ROM because my only desire for root is to delete bloatware. I'm pretty happy with TouchWiz.

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok mate so if I go down a custom rom route will that mean I lose all the stuff like optical image stabilisation, s pen stuff, multi window, widgets etc? Are there ROMs that have those things built into them?

I don't like touch wiz much so would like to get out of that and do my own, and get rid of most bloat ware, but I don't want to turn my N4 into something useless without the features it's meant to be good on.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok mate so if I go down a custom rom route will that mean I lose all the stuff like optical image stabilisation, s pen stuff, multi window, widgets etc? Are there ROMs that have those things built into them?

I don't like touch wiz much so would like to get out of that and do my own, and get rid of most bloat ware, but I don't want to turn my N4 into something useless without the features it's meant to be good on.

You can't have it both ways... If you opt for a ROM that is AOSP based or CM based you lose the touchwiz implementation of S-Pen and multi-window features. You can get the functionality back using other applications but they won't work exactly the same way. As for optical image stabilization it shouldn't affect that one bit.

Personally I love Dynamic Kat ROM.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't know anything about the ROMS as I don't have the desire for a different one, just the ability to delete bloatware.

You can get some rooting info here, but xda has a whole lot of rooting info, you just need to find the right threads and do some searching.

Last edited:

Fedginator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
1. Search Google play for usb otg enabler root of the like.
2. Rooting does not remove bloatware - but It did allow you to remove it so unless you remove it manually you will lose no features.
If you flash a custom rom however you will

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE