08-13-2015 10:14 AM
69 123
tools
    I updated to lollipop and cleared cache + factory reset after tje update as recommended. Battery life is till outstanding. Everything is good. Thank you!
    05-02-2015 03:28 PM
    Lollipop broke my s5. I would say no.
    How...

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-02-2015 03:51 PM
    How...

Apparently there is a known issue with the lollipop update breaking the hotspot on the s5. Sprint and Samsung both told me, "yeah.... um.... sorry about that.... but you are gonna be out of luck for awhile."
    05-02-2015 04:12 PM
    I updated to lollipop and cleared cache + factory reset after tje update as recommended. Battery life is till outstanding. Everything is good. Thank you!
    Gotta love happy endings. Enjoy!

05-02-2015 04:32 PM
    This is true and I'm usually a first adapter, but breaking the hotspot on my s5 is something I can't risk having happen to my note 4.
    It shouldn't affect your ability to make a hotspot.
    05-03-2015 12:52 AM
    Sounds like there are lots of little bugs all over the place and if you don't happen to use them you would never know. This is the first time I have ever had an issue with an update.
    These threads with "problems" are no different than when every single update is released.
    05-03-2015 12:53 AM
    My battery life is horrible with lollipop. Upgrade at your own risk.

You can't trust the time left
    This battery graph takes what you have been doing recent and tries to estimate your battery left.

If you have been idle a while, it can say 2-3 days.
    05-03-2015 12:55 AM
    I will agree with you. mine is not broke but lags so much and things are constantly stopping and asking to report or not. I absolutely do not like" lolligag" , I want to do a reset, but am not sure and am kind of afraid to go back to the 4.4.4 because of really messing up my phone.
    You can't go back to KitKat.

I do a reset with every update I do. I have always done that, for years and never had any problems.
    05-03-2015 12:58 AM
    Apparently there is a known issue with the lollipop update breaking the hotspot on the s5. Sprint and Samsung both told me, "yeah.... um.... sorry about that.... but you are gonna be out of luck for awhile."
    It didn't break my S5 hotspot.
    05-03-2015 01:02 AM
    You can't go back to KitKat.

I do a reset with every update I do. I have always done that, for years and never had any problems.
    Sure you can, just a matter of downloading Odin and the KitKat firmware and flashing it. It's a relatively easy process that literally takes about 5 minutes. Some people might not be aware of that option or are just hesitant to tinker with these expensive devices that much.

I did it the other day on my Sprint Note 4 because I wasn't particularly happy with lollipop. Didn't care for the new stackable notification tray or the new battery graph or the some of the color scheme changes but I wouldve accepted them if my battery life didn't take a big hit. Unfortunately it did. My avg screen time on 4.4.4 is about 5.5,6hrs with around 18% juice left after 12-15hrs off the charger. On lollipop I was only getting around 4hrs of screen time and I'd be down into the single digits in battery life.

Even my standby usage suffered. Leaving the phone sitting at 100% and going to sleep on KitKat, 6hrs later I'd be at 97,98%. On lollipop I'd be at 91,92%.

Wiping the cache and factory resets did nothing positive for me. So instead of being perpetually annoyed with my Note 4, I flashed back to 4.4.4 and I am back to loving my phone (until the Note 5 comes out lol)
    geekaren and mrcil20 like this.
    05-06-2015 05:58 AM
    It didn't break my S5 hotspot.
    That's great for you. Unfortunately, per Sprint and Samsung it is a known issue that can happen. They don't know how or why apparently.
    05-06-2015 07:27 AM
    Lollipop broke my s5. I would say no.
    That's nice of them to not help you

Posted from my rooted Note 4 and loving it
    05-09-2015 02:48 PM
    That's nice of them to not help you

Posted from my rooted Note 4 and loving it
    Oh, they acted like they could careless.
    05-09-2015 06:35 PM
    Oh, they acted like they could careless.
    Have you asked Samsung about sending it in for them to reflash and telling them the issue you are having? I think they even pay the shipping fees and it is free to do.

They can remove software and put it back on, which is much better than a reflash and many times, that fixes bugs.
    05-10-2015 02:34 AM
    Sure you can, just a matter of downloading Odin and the KitKat firmware and flashing it. It's a relatively easy process that literally takes about 5 minutes. Some people might not be aware of that option or are just hesitant to tinker with these expensive devices that much.

I did it the other day on my Sprint Note 4 because I wasn't particularly happy with lollipop. Didn't care for the new stackable notification tray or the new battery graph or the some of the color scheme changes but I wouldve accepted them if my battery life didn't take a big hit. Unfortunately it did. My avg screen time on 4.4.4 is about 5.5,6hrs with around 18% juice left after 12-15hrs off the charger. On lollipop I was only getting around 4hrs of screen time and I'd be down into the single digits in battery life.

Even my standby usage suffered. Leaving the phone sitting at 100% and going to sleep on KitKat, 6hrs later I'd be at 97,98%. On lollipop I'd be at 91,92%.

Wiping the cache and factory resets did nothing positive for me. So instead of being perpetually annoyed with my Note 4, I flashed back to 4.4.4 and I am back to loving my phone (until the Note 5 comes out lol)
    I have seen MANY try to do so and can't get this done. I have also seen certain variants be able to rollback but several that can't yet.
    05-10-2015 02:35 AM
    I have had to do a wiping of the cache and reset once (which wasn't necessary), but the cache yes. In the first build of Lollipop I saw a bug with User Daemon (I believe it was called?) and I disabled that (which was a GPS locator for the Samsung widget clock with weather). After that, my battery life was exactly the same as with KitKat.

I like lollipop. So no problems here! I think lollipop fixed more issues than broke them. For me the biggest issue was GPS tagging in pictures (a function I need). The only thing I had watch out for was the GPS being called on by that User Daemon (again, I'm not sure if that was the name, it was located in Location in the settings).
    05-10-2015 03:19 AM
    Have you asked Samsung about sending it in for them to reflash and telling them the issue you are having? I think they even pay the shipping fees and it is free to do.

They can remove software and put it back on, which is much better than a reflash and many times, that fixes bugs.
    No. I didn't have time for all of that. Need my phone for work. So I bought a note 4 at full pop and shut off its ability to even look for updates.
    05-10-2015 08:17 AM
    No. I didn't have time for all of that. Need my phone for work. So I bought a note 4 at full pop and shut off its ability to even look for updates.
    Do you still have the S5?
    05-10-2015 09:13 AM
    Do you still have the S5?
    No. I sold it to one of those eco machines.
    05-10-2015 09:34 AM
    No. I sold it to one of those eco machines.
    Ahh.. Ok. I was going to tell you that sending it in then you could sell it for good money after being fixed. I just sold mine last weekend for $300.

I have to ask now.. What machines? I am not familiar with those.
    05-10-2015 09:38 AM
    Ahh.. Ok. I was going to tell you that sending it in then you could sell it for good money after being fixed. I just sold mine last weekend for $300.

I have to ask now.. What machines? I am not familiar with those.
    http://www.ecoatm.com

Sold it for $150, but didn't want the hassle of trying to fix it enough to sell it to a person and then listing it... so $150 was good.
    05-10-2015 09:43 AM
    Interesting.. We have some of those machines here and I didn't know it.
    05-10-2015 10:14 AM
    Interesting.. We have some of those machines here and I didn't know it.
    Gives you cash money on the spot. Makes it easy to unload old electronics.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-10-2015 01:29 PM
    I have seen MANY try to do so and can't get this done. I have also seen certain variants be able to rollback but several that can't yet.
    According to the threads I've read here and XDA (both have very detailed instructions about how to do it) the only issues that impeded the process was having Samsung Kies installed on your computer (for whatever reason Odin doesn't work well with Kies installed which is odd because they're both Samsung programs) and trying to flash custom firmware to a non rooted device (doing so trips Knox and causes complications). My phone isn't rooted. I flashed official KitKat firmware downloaded from Sammobile.com The only problem I had which was very minor, was that the phone got stuck in a boot loop after it was done. That was easily solved by pulling the battery, booting into recovery and doing a factory reset which was painless because there was nothing on the device after the flashing.

I would assume that all Note 4 devices would be able to be rolled backward or forward for that matter via Odin being that its a Samsung tool for Samsung devices whose purpose is to flash firmawre. But you may be right about some carrier specific versions not having that functionality. Thankfully the Sprint version isn't 1 of them

I really wanted to like lollipop but with some of the aesthetic changes and the hit to my battery life I just couldn't get into it.
    05-13-2015 04:45 AM
    So far all my friends with Lollipop don't have any issues. They had some issues with the battery life but factory reset fixed those I say go for it if you like the new design.. Apparently that's what most people hate about Android L
    05-13-2015 05:08 AM
69 123