should I upgrade to Lollipop from 4.4.4?

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any issues, I feel like my battery life is better but maybe ite just me leaving my phone aside more often now :) I have a lot of my UI elements dark themed (messages, keyboard, email etc) so I guess I don't have too much to worry about the white screen draining my battery.

I personally like 5.0. Yeah it's not perfect but I can't really think of any bugs that bother me really. I personally like the lock screen notification style, but I had a jailbreak app for my iPhone that stacked them in a similar way so it's familiar to me I suppose. Some don't like it, as the light colored interface everywhere.

It's just personal preference whether or not to upgrade at this point

I don't have screen shots to show, but I've been doing a large landscaping project at my fathers house all this week and the other day I left my phone alone for the better part of 7+ hours and I was only down to 83%, off the charger for closer to 9

lollipophater

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I will agree with you. mine is not broke but lags so much and things are constantly stopping and asking to report or not. I absolutely do not like" lolligag" , I want to do a reset, but am not sure and am kind of afraid to go back to the 4.4.4 because of really messing up my phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
YMMV.

I found Kit Kat to be very buggy on my T-mobile Note 4. Not a smooth experience at all. Since upgrading my phone is much smoother, no bugs and slight BETTER battery life. I love it!

Terrence Thompkins

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I had was the battery life. I was getting half the SOT I usually got before the update. I reluctantly did a factory reset and now I get about an 1 hour and a half more SOT.

Posted via the Android Central App

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I updated to lollipop and cleared cache + factory reset after tje update as recommended. Battery life is till outstanding. Everything is good. Thank you!

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
How...

Apparently there is a known issue with the lollipop update breaking the hotspot on the s5. Sprint and Samsung both told me, "yeah.... um.... sorry about that.... but you are gonna be out of luck for awhile."

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like there are lots of little bugs all over the place and if you don't happen to use them you would never know. This is the first time I have ever had an issue with an update.

These threads with "problems" are no different than when every single update is released.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is horrible with lollipop. Upgrade at your own risk.

You can't trust the time left
This battery graph takes what you have been doing recent and tries to estimate your battery left.

If you have been idle a while, it can say 2-3 days.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I will agree with you. mine is not broke but lags so much and things are constantly stopping and asking to report or not. I absolutely do not like" lolligag" , I want to do a reset, but am not sure and am kind of afraid to go back to the 4.4.4 because of really messing up my phone.

You can't go back to KitKat.

I do a reset with every update I do. I have always done that, for years and never had any problems.

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
You can't go back to KitKat.

I do a reset with every update I do. I have always done that, for years and never had any problems.

Sure you can, just a matter of downloading Odin and the KitKat firmware and flashing it. It's a relatively easy process that literally takes about 5 minutes. Some people might not be aware of that option or are just hesitant to tinker with these expensive devices that much.

I did it the other day on my Sprint Note 4 because I wasn't particularly happy with lollipop. Didn't care for the new stackable notification tray or the new battery graph or the some of the color scheme changes but I wouldve accepted them if my battery life didn't take a big hit. Unfortunately it did. My avg screen time on 4.4.4 is about 5.5,6hrs with around 18% juice left after 12-15hrs off the charger. On lollipop I was only getting around 4hrs of screen time and I'd be down into the single digits in battery life.

Even my standby usage suffered. Leaving the phone sitting at 100% and going to sleep on KitKat, 6hrs later I'd be at 97,98%. On lollipop I'd be at 91,92%.

Wiping the cache and factory resets did nothing positive for me. So instead of being perpetually annoyed with my Note 4, I flashed back to 4.4.4 and I am back to loving my phone (until the Note 5 comes out lol)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, they acted like they could careless.

Have you asked Samsung about sending it in for them to reflash and telling them the issue you are having? I think they even pay the shipping fees and it is free to do.

They can remove software and put it back on, which is much better than a reflash and many times, that fixes bugs.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sure you can, just a matter of downloading Odin and the KitKat firmware and flashing it. It's a relatively easy process that literally takes about 5 minutes. Some people might not be aware of that option or are just hesitant to tinker with these expensive devices that much.

I did it the other day on my Sprint Note 4 because I wasn't particularly happy with lollipop. Didn't care for the new stackable notification tray or the new battery graph or the some of the color scheme changes but I wouldve accepted them if my battery life didn't take a big hit. Unfortunately it did. My avg screen time on 4.4.4 is about 5.5,6hrs with around 18% juice left after 12-15hrs off the charger. On lollipop I was only getting around 4hrs of screen time and I'd be down into the single digits in battery life.

Even my standby usage suffered. Leaving the phone sitting at 100% and going to sleep on KitKat, 6hrs later I'd be at 97,98%. On lollipop I'd be at 91,92%.

Wiping the cache and factory resets did nothing positive for me. So instead of being perpetually annoyed with my Note 4, I flashed back to 4.4.4 and I am back to loving my phone (until the Note 5 comes out lol)

I have seen MANY try to do so and can't get this done. I have also seen certain variants be able to rollback but several that can't yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy