Is rooting my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 worth it?

Wasimx

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Had the N910F around 6 months now and it has been absolutely brilliant. Tempted to root it but don't want to breach the warranty. Is it worth doing guys ?

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

In your case no because your not rooting it for a reason. Sounds like you'd be doing it just to do it

Moto X 2014

Wasimx

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the advice just want to be able to customize the device more. If I was to do it is there a way of not tripping knok ?

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

I'm rooted and I don't think there's any way to do it without tripping Knox. My advice is that you make a list of the customizations you'd like and find out if you can do it without root. If you still want to do it then head over to Xda forums for the how to. Good luck

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

After rooting my G3, I would never recommend it to anyone. Especially with a Samsung phone.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I've rooted & unrooted this T-Mobile Note 4 just to update to 5.01. I'm looking forward to rooting it again to use Adaway! Love Adaway. I'm just waiting a couple weeks to make sure there's no more small updates but then I'll gladly root again! I also like freezing apps I don't like, or uninstall them.

I also think it's kind of B.S. of carriers not wanting you to have admin rights over a device you spend hundreds of dollars on. I bought it, it's mine, now let me do with it as I please!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I root my phone ONLY for the purpose of removing ads in apps and my browser using Adaway. This app prevents ads from being shown at the beginning of videos in news apps and even YouTube and it prevents apps from showing a full page ad occasionally as some of them do.

The above poster has nothing to worry about such as if a new Lollipop update somes out next week. SuperSU makes it easy to unroot and then you simply use Samsung Kies to upgrade to the latest OS update and then you reroot. Rerooting my phone againg just took seconds to do and then all I had to do was reopen Adaway to give it root permissions.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I root my phone ONLY for the purpose of removing ads in apps and my browser using Adaway. This app prevents ads from being shown at the beginning of videos in news apps and even YouTube and it prevents apps from showing a full page ad occasionally as some of them do.

The above poster has nothing to worry about such as if a new Lollipop update somes out next week. SuperSU makes it easy to unroot and then you simply use Samsung Kies to upgrade to the latest OS update and then you reroot. Rerooting my phone againg just took seconds to do and then all I had to do was reopen Adaway to give it root permissions.
I tried using Keis to update from 4.4.4 to 5.01 and I couldn't get it to work. So, I unrooted using Odin 3.7. I know I can use the same method to root 5.01 but I'm not sure on unroot. I used Odin 3.7 to unroot but I had to find the right T-Mobile build. To which method are you referring?

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Rooting is a must IMO unless you have a stock ui and even then the phone gets boring after awhile.

Moto X 2014

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

FYI Xposed framework is not yet available for Lollipop running touchwiz for those that still want xposed and update to lollipop

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I tried using Keis to update from 4.4.4 to 5.01 and I couldn't get it to work. So, I unrooted using Odin 3.7. I know I can use the same method to root 5.01 but I'm not sure on unroot. I used Odin 3.7 to unroot but I had to find the right T-Mobile build. To which method are you referring?
When I unrooted using SuperSU, I restarted the phone, connected it to my computer and opened Kies. It immediately told there was a software upgrade and asked if I wanted to upgrade. That was it.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm rooted and I don't think there's any way to do it without tripping Knox. My advice is that you make a list of the customizations you'd like and find out if you can do it without root. If you still want to do it then head over to Xda forums for the how to. Good luck

Good advice. Definitely pays to set goals and establish a clear understanding on what is needed to achieve them.

Rooting's not for everyone and sometimes less experienced or less tech savy people can get into trouble with customizations after rooting which will lead to bad experiences. There are many of us out there who know how to approach customizations in a way to minimize risks.

I for one can honestly say that I've done things that have had negative effects on applications/performance MANY times but I've always approached things systematically and have always been able to troubleshoot issues to adjust to incompatibilities that come up. Sometimes this means having to revert back and to not have a piece of custom software that I wanted installed because it negatively impacts another software (just happened to me last week with an Xposed module) . .

FYI Xposed framework is not yet available for Lollipop running touchwiz for those that still want xposed and update to lollipop

Yup, for this very reason I'll hold off on Lollipop on both my Note 4 and Note Pro 12.2. I simply must have certain xposed modules . . Amplify, App Settings, Complete Action Plus, Greenify's experimental features, XPrivacy to name a few. Once rovo gets a chance to get Xposed running on Touchwiz devices I'll switch over. It will be a while though.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I have rooted most of my phones for various reasons. Removing ads or features I like on a custom ROM being the top 2. For the most part I have never had any real issues. That being said, I end up spending a lot of time messing with my phone when I do root it. I am enjoying using my Note 4 as a tool for work and in my personal life as it is. I don't really have an interest anymore in rooting. There are plenty of resources out there to help you if you want to do it though. Good luck.

Sent from my Note 4

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

If you use Odin to root, you have to deal with a bunch of malware. The malware installs with Odin, even if you uncheck it. I think that's very ****ty of them to include so much of it.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

If you use Odin to root, you have to deal with a bunch of malware. The malware installs with Odin, even if you uncheck it. I think that's very ****ty of them to include so much of it.

I'm sure I'm not alone in disagreeing with the statement that Odin comes with malware, I have been using it for years without issue.

Where did you get Odin? You should not need to install Odin, it's an executable file that you can typically get from within many of the root guides on xda. In fact it's in chainfires cf-autoroot package posted by tekhd in the T-Mobile Note 4 forums on xda and its clean.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure I'm not alone in disagreeing with the statement that Odin comes with malware, I have been using it for years without issue.

Where did you get Odin? You should not need to install Odin, it's an executable file that you can typically get from within many of the root guides on xda. In fact it's in chainfires cf-autoroot package posted by tekhd in the T-Mobile Note 4 forums on xda and its clean.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
You're correct. I checked again and it appears the malware came from "dev files cloud", or to be more specific devfilescloud.com/file.php?f=180 so, don't use this link. Live and learn.

Ray J2

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

I have the note 4 at&t variant on 5.1.1 can I root?

billy barrera

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Rooting Note 4

I have rooted most of my phones for various reasons. Removing ads or features I like on a custom ROM being the top 2. For the most part I have never had any real issues. That being said, I end up spending a lot of time messing with my phone when I do root it. I am enjoying using my Note 4 as a tool for work and in my personal life as it is. I don't really have an interest anymore in rooting. There are plenty of resources out there to help you if you want to do it though. Good luck.

Sent from my Note 4
I took my note 4 to a cell phone store to get it rooted and he said note4's are the hardest to root is this true? Is it worth the risk to get my note4 rooted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci