07-10-2015 12:44 PM
46 12
tools
    I also asked this to the Droid Turbo guys. I currently have an M8 through work and get an upgrade every year. However, I have to get my phone through work and their list of "approved" devices seems to be dwindling. I think they are moving to you need a Samsung or an iPhone. The M9 hasn't made the list, I don't like the S6 much, and I don't think the G4 is going to make the list. Now I'm eyeballing the Droid Turbo and Note 4. I know the Note 5 will most likely be out in October, but that's still a ways off and my M8 is getting boring. So my question, is the Note 4 worth it right now? I have wanted to try a bigger phone for a while, but even at the upgrade price the Note is pretty pricey.
    05-01-2015 03:20 PM
    I'd say if you want to move now and don't like the S6 then the Note 4 is DEFINITELY worth it!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk
    05-01-2015 03:24 PM
    I guess I should state that biggest draw for me to the Turbo is the battery. How has the battery been for you guys on the Note?
    05-01-2015 03:29 PM
    It's been great for me. Combine that with the fact that you can get close to 50% back in 30 mins with the included fast charger and it blows my mind

05-01-2015 03:30 PM
    Especially after the Lollipop update - even more worth it. After disabling some useless Samsung apps I'm getting almost 7 hours of screen on time out of a single charge, I never experienced any kind of lag, everything works fine. I love my Note 4, and it actually gives me the feeling of the 'perfect' smartphone, so I'm going to have it much longer than my previous phones. (The Z3 and the G3 didn't give me that feeling...)

Posted via the Android Central App
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-01-2015 04:00 PM
    I like it even more with the google now launcher and google now to the left since I actually use the cards for reminders etc.

05-01-2015 04:01 PM
    I'd say if you want to move now and don't like the S6 then the Note 4 is DEFINITELY worth it!

I got a S6 and returned it, also tried out iphone 6 plus, returned it. Back to Note 4 now and very happy
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-01-2015 04:53 PM
    I owned a Note 3 and now a 4. My personal opinion is wait on the Note 5 at this point. If they happen to go with a non removable battery and no expandable storage and these are deal breakers for you then you can still buy a Note 4 at a discounted price.

The removable battery isn't a big deal to me because the battery on the Note 4 is amazing especially with Lollipop. If they remove the expanded storage then I will just purchase the 64 GB version or higher.

Posted via the AT&T Note 4
    05-01-2015 05:01 PM
    I have the Note 4 (holding off the Lollipop update) and love it! I think it runs very smoothly and battery life has been great for me. I know people who have the Droid Turbo and say they Love it and that the battery is a Beast, Very long lasting! I don't think you could go wrong with either phone. As far as choosing, it really depends on what is important to you? I think the Note 4 is worth every penny and is to date the Best phone I have ever owned. I previously have the Note 2 (which I loved and is still in perfect condition) I stay with the Note because of the Spen, Removable battery and SD card slot option!

Note 4: Has Removable Battery and SD card slot, plus the Spen (I use it for everything) The Spen feature is what makes the Note a bit more expensive

Droid Turbo: Embedded battery and no SD card slot, no Spen

Here's a nice little comparison at this link. http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/...t-choose-both/
    05-01-2015 05:11 PM
    Droid Turbo: Embedded battery and no SD card slot, no Spen
    And Note 4 has superior camera over Turbo,
    05-01-2015 05:51 PM
    Especially after the Lollipop update - even more worth it. After disabling some useless Samsung apps I'm getting almost 7 hours of screen on time out of a single charge, I never experienced any kind of lag, everything works fine. I love my Note 4, and it actually gives me the feeling of the 'perfect' smartphone, so I'm going to have it much longer than my previous phones. (The Z3 and the G3 didn't give me that feeling...)

Sorry but I call BS on 7hrs SOT. Best I've gotten is 4.5 to 5 hrs.
    05-01-2015 05:54 PM
    I just got a Note 4 and I absolutely love it. No lag, great battery life (with the added benefits of rapid charging and a removable battery) and great screen.

mumfoau likes this.
    05-01-2015 08:12 PM
    Why are you on here preaching about the note four...do you have no friends to annoy in real life? Besides my wife base the note IV and its ALSO a decent phone, but it breaks really easy and the battery life is a joke when compared to the turbo...so ah yeah you're dumb. Jk

05-01-2015 08:30 PM
    I got a S6 and returned it, also tried out iphone 6 plus, returned it. Back to Note 4 now and very happy
    Hey there! I actually saw a lot of your posts on the S6 forum. I was heavily considering getting an S6, but decided against it because the battery complaints were just too widespread. I'm just beginning an internship at a newspaper, so I won't always be near a charger. My phone will be a valuable tool.

I'm actually at the point where I'm debating between getting a Note 4 and going to the dark side and getting an iPhone 6 Plus. Could you please elaborate a bit more as to why you are much more happy with the Note 4?

The most important features to me are battery life and camera performance (I'll be taking some pictures for the paper with the phone). It's interesting that some people in this thread seem to indicate that the Note 4's battery life may have improved after getting Lollipop, but a lot of other things I've read indicate that it gets worse after the update. Anyway, that's one thing that makes me a bit nervous about getting a Note 4. If it makes any difference, I'd be using it on Verizon.
    05-01-2015 08:42 PM
    <snip>
    ...The most important features to me are battery life and camera performance (I'll be taking some pictures for the paper with the phone). It's interesting that some people in this thread seem to indicate that the Note 4's battery life may have improved after getting Lollipop, but a lot of other things I've read indicate that it gets worse after the update. Anyway, that's one thing that makes me a bit nervous about getting a Note 4. If it makes any difference, I'd be using it on Verizon.
    It seems that those that did the factory reset after the update have better battery life, and those that refuse to do the factory reset after the update seem to have battery problems.

That is a generalization, and not applicable in 100 percent of the cases.

However, supposedly if you give the phone enough time, it will optimize itself and the battery life will improve, if you are one of those that decides they do not want to do the reset for whatever reason.

The other consideration is that some people have had their note 4 long enough that the additional heavy use is starting to deteriorate their batteries.

After 6 months of heavy use all batteries start to deteriorate, & a lot of people are not taking that into account. Want proof? Just ask an iPhone user! :-)

Just my two cents worth.

My battery life was very good before and seems to be even a little bit better afterwards, but my battery is fairly new.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, every single comment about improved or degraded battery life is subjective. There are no accurate before-and-after benchmarks that I'm aware of.

However, I believe that most of the people on this forum are smart enough to have a good gut feel about what they are experiencing, and albeit subjective, I do believe that for people who have not done the factory reset, the battery life is horribly degraded.

The camera is great, much better than on the note 3.

FYI, I am a Verizon user as well.

It sounds like you should not consider any type of sealed phone, as you will likely be hating it after about 6 months when your battery won't hold a charge anymore.
    Jordan Miera likes this.
    05-01-2015 09:00 PM
    Hey there! I actually saw a lot of your posts on the S6 forum. I was heavily considering getting an S6, but decided against it because the battery complaints were just too widespread. I'm just beginning an internship at a newspaper, so I won't always be near a charger. My phone will be a valuable tool.

I'm actually at the point where I'm debating between getting a Note 4 and going to the dark side and getting an iPhone 6 Plus. Could you please elaborate a bit more as to why you are much more happy with the Note 4?

The most important features to me are battery life and camera performance (I'll be taking some pictures for the paper with the phone). It's interesting that some people in this thread seem to indicate that the Note 4's battery life may have improved after getting Lollipop, but a lot of other things I've read indicate that it gets worse after the update. Anyway, that's one thing that makes me a bit nervous about getting a Note 4. If it makes any difference, I'd be using it on Verizon.
    I had the note 4 before, then switched to iPhone 6 plus for almost 2 weeks. It's fast, smooth and the camera was outstanding, battery life was good too. However, iOS made me bored to death so I returned.

The S6 64gb was amazing fast. Faster than the iPhone 6 plus, IMO. Its camera can't be beated. Screen is beautiful. I love everything about the S6, except one - battery life wasn't as good as I hoped. I disabled all the apps that I don't need or use. Turned off location services and restricted bg refresh, screen set to about 20%. I got between 9-10 hours of battery life and I am not a power user. Many users said they may fix the battery life issue with an update in the near future. But I couldn't wait for the fix and I missed the big screen and the stylist pen of the note 4.

So, I am back to the note 4 and don't have to plug in the charger until I go to bed btw, I updated to lollipop 5.0.1 and the battery life on my N4 is still outstanding. I did a factory reset after the update as recommended by a few members here. Thanks. You know who you are

I'd go back to the S6 anytime if they fixed the battery life. 64gb is more than enough for my storage as I stream music from amazon prime

Good luck!
    tippmann15 and Jordan Miera like this.
    05-01-2015 09:17 PM
    Sorry but I call BS on 7hrs SOT. Best I've gotten is 4.5 to 5 hrs.
    Here's mine at 42 hours of run time and 6 hours of SOT. I think I could get 8 hours of SOT if I did it in a day. Brightness set to auto and phone agressively tuned. I love this phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 still worth it?-1430535558919.jpg  
    sqa4life likes this.
    05-01-2015 11:04 PM
    I know regardless of platform or device I do a factory reset after and update and now with my Note, I'll be wiping the cache partition every two weeks. 😃

05-02-2015 12:14 AM
    Thanks for the good feedback. I played with a Turbo yesterday. It's a great phone, but I think the larger screen has won me over. I'll give the Note a try since I still have the 30 day return window.
    mumfoau, cwbcpa and Lukas Wilk like this.
    05-03-2015 12:23 PM
    Thanks for the good feedback. I played with a Turbo yesterday. It's a great phone, but I think the larger screen has won me over. I'll give the Note a try since I still have the 30 day return window.
    Nice! "30 day return window?" What carrier are you on?
    05-03-2015 05:16 PM
    Verizon corporate account.
    05-03-2015 05:18 PM
    Actually went for the Note 4 on Saturday. I've been very impressed by...well....everything! Battery life is great, I actually really like the screen size, so on and so forth. In other words, in my opinion, the Note 4 is worth it!
    05-04-2015 01:24 AM
    Had my Note 4 since launch day, and very happy, nothing available right now brings such a complete package of high functionality, incredible display, excellent battery life (I get around 7-8hours SOT), unique features (SPen + Multi Window Multitasking), great camera and solid build quality in one.

The fast charging is quite a major one, trust me, when you realise how fast this beast charges yet how slowly it drains its charge after unplugging, you will be shocked, I can't go back to anything without fast charging.

Treat yourself to the Note 4.
    05-04-2015 05:03 PM

My battery Sucks! Wake up at 7 and by noon I get the dreaded beeping sound... What apps should I disable?
    05-05-2015 12:43 AM
    My battery Sucks! Wake up at 7 and by noon I get the dreaded beeping sound... What apps should I disable?
    That depends on which Samsung apps you're using. Just go to you app list and decide what you think is useless. S Voice and S Health for example are draining the battery badly.
    05-05-2015 02:42 AM
46 12