Hey guys, I posted on here a week or so ago about having battery problems after the last AT&T Lollipop update on the Note 4. Things had gotten a little better for a couple of days, then started to get worse again. I finally contacted AT&T about it and the rep told me they were going to send a new battery before having me to do a factory reset. She told me if that didn't work (which I knew it wouldn't), then go ahead and do a factory reset. So I did the reset a couple of days ago and my phone has gotten significantly worse, with the battery AND now overheating. I've been reading on here and other websites about this issue and it seems that everyone that has had these problems got them resolved with the factory reset. I even booted my phone into safe mode and it still did the same thing, so I know it's not an app. GSam shows Android System using the most battery and today showed that the battery used 40% in 5 hours, and that was less than 30 minutes of SOT! Also when I charged the phone, the battery soared to 98 degrees. I contacted AT&T again tonight and the rep said they could do a warranty exchange, which basically means I will receive a refurbished model when I've only had my phone for 5 months and still owe $600+ on it. That did not sit well with me at all, so I asked if there were any other options and she said I could take it to the Samsung Experience Shop at Best Buy to get it flashed. I am definitely going to do that this weekend, but I was wondering if any of you have had to do this and if so, did it work? From what I've understood, AT&T won't let you go back to KitKat...
    05-01-2015 11:02 PM
    GSam shows Android System using the most battery and today showed that the battery used 40% in 5 hours
    That's 40% of the total amount used, not 40% of the battery power. (It could have been 40% of the 2% of battery power used. If you add up everything in GSam, it always adds up to 100% - all of the battery power that's being used is being used.)

and that was less than 30 minutes of SOT!
    The screen isn't listed as Android system, so you could have 5 hours os SoT and 10% Android System, or 2 minutes of SoT and 95% Android System. One has nothing to do with the other.

Also when I charged the phone, the battery soared to 98 degrees. I contacted AT&T again tonight and the rep said they could do a warranty exchange, which basically means I will receive a refurbished model when I've only had my phone for 5 months
    Which makes it a used phone. And what you're getting could very well be a phone that someone tried out and returned after 2 days. Then it's manually checked out, inch by inch, to make sure it meets specs - which is better than a new phone gets. (I'm on the 17th month of my refurb Note 3. And I use my phone - it's had more ROMs in it than Carter has pills [do they still say that?], been rooted a few times, has a custom recovery [thanks to Hashcode] - even been dropped hard enough a couple of times to havce destroyed it if it hadn't been in an Ottrbox Defender. "Refurb" doesn't mean "not as good".)

she said I could take it to the Samsung Experience Shop at Best Buy to get it flashed. I am definitely going to do that this weekend, but I was wondering if any of you have had to do this and if so, did it work?
    If the original update failed, it will work. If the original update was successful, doing it again won't change anything. It won't hurt anything either, but back everything up to be sure (see Backing up an Android Device).

From what I've understood, AT&T won't let you go back to KitKat...
    The phone won't. There's a "major version counter" that's set to "5" in your phone, so you can go back from 5.1 to 5.0.2, or something like that (not that you'd want to), but you can't go back from Lollipop to KitKat (or from KitKat to JellyBean).
    Note4user and sqa4life like this.
    05-01-2015 11:17 PM
    I would get the "new" one. The one you have is used, you know that. I am sure the one you get from them is less used than yours and if it still does not work you are no worse off than you are now.
    05-01-2015 11:24 PM
    That's 40% of the total amount used, not 40% of the battery power. (It could have been 40% of the 2% of battery power used. If you add up everything in GSam, it always adds up to 100% - all of the battery power that's being used is being used.)
    The screen isn't listed as Android system, so you could have 5 hours os SoT and 10% Android System, or 2 minutes of SoT and 95% Android System. One has nothing to do with the other.
    I am attaching screenshots that will hopefully make more sense. Maybe I just worded everything wrong. Regardless, the battery is horrific!!

If the original update failed, it will work. If the original update was successful, doing it again won't change anything. It won't hurt anything either, but back everything up to be sure (see Backing up an Android Device).
    I noticed the numerous times I wiped the cache partition, upon booting in recovery mode, it says installing update, then the Android falls over and it says cancelled or something like that. Could that mean the update wasn't installed properly? I have seen a few people on here mention they get that same screen in recovery mode.

Has anyone gotten their Note 4 flashed after Lollipop update? If so, did it work?-screenshot_2015-05-01-16-18-49.jpg

Has anyone gotten their Note 4 flashed after Lollipop update? If so, did it work?-screenshot_2015-05-01-16-18-05.jpg
    05-02-2015 12:09 AM
    Those screens look about normal - except for the about 1200mA drain and the almost 5 hour awake time. Run Wakelock Detector (if the phone isn't rooted, see Wakelock detector with non-rooted phone) to see what's keeping it awake.

Also let's see screen shots of the Battery page in Settings and (by tapping the graph at the top) the next page. You might have a bad phone signal.
    05-02-2015 12:20 AM
    Also let's see screen shots of the Battery page in Settings and (by tapping the graph at the top) the next page. You might have a bad phone signal.
    Has anyone gotten their Note 4 flashed after Lollipop update? If so, did it work?-screenshot_2015-05-02-00-02-55.jpg

Has anyone gotten their Note 4 flashed after Lollipop update? If so, did it work?-screenshot_2015-05-02-00-03-13.jpg
    05-02-2015 01:22 AM
    Hey guys, I posted on here a week or so ago about having battery problems after the last AT&T Lollipop update on the Note 4. Things had gotten a little better for a couple of days, then started to get worse again. I finally contacted AT&T about it and the rep told me they were going to send a new battery before having me to do a factory reset. She told me if that didn't work (which I knew it wouldn't), then go ahead and do a factory reset. So I did the reset a couple of days ago and my phone has gotten significantly worse, with the battery AND now overheating. I've been reading on here and other websites about this issue and it seems that everyone that has had these problems got them resolved with the factory reset. I even booted my phone into safe mode and it still did the same thing, so I know it's not an app. GSam shows Android System using the most battery and today showed that the battery used 40% in 5 hours, and that was less than 30 minutes of SOT! Also when I charged the phone, the battery soared to 98 degrees. I contacted AT&T again tonight and the rep said they could do a warranty exchange, which basically means I will receive a refurbished model when I've only had my phone for 5 months and still owe $600+ on it. That did not sit well with me at all, so I asked if there were any other options and she said I could take it to the Samsung Experience Shop at Best Buy to get it flashed. I am definitely going to do that this weekend, but I was wondering if any of you have had to do this and if so, did it work? From what I've understood, AT&T won't let you go back to KitKat...
    Actually at&t will replace with a certified "like new" condition phone. It's fully tested and inspected. Most of those phones have been returned by customers within 14 days. So, technically you are trading a 5 months used phone for a 14 days used phone.
    I've received a few replacement phones from att before and they were in like new with no sign of use.
    05-02-2015 01:24 AM
    I am attaching screenshots that will hopefully make more sense. Maybe I just worded everything wrong. Regardless, the battery is horrific!!

I noticed the numerous times I wiped the cache partition, upon booting in recovery mode, it says installing update, then the Android falls over and it says cancelled or something like that. Could that mean the update wasn't installed properly? I have seen a few people on here mention they get that same screen in recovery mode.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-01-16-18-49.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	174812

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-01-16-18-05.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	174813
    Battery apps actually make the battery worse. They should only be installed for a short time to do diagnostics and then removed.
    Note4user and MedicD like this.
    05-03-2015 01:37 AM