Deletion of downloaded software

jackryannn

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Recently downloaded android 5.0 lollipop update but after few hours of research I've decided not to install this update. So now how will I be able to delete away that 1gig of downloaded software from my phone ?

Note: I did not install it. I've only downloaded the Update.

Help please. Much appreciated :)

jackryannn

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Do a factory reset

Why is there a need to do a factory reset when my android version didn't change at all? From what I know factory reset resets your whole phone deletes your entire data and bring you back to the base android software which is 4.4.4.

My problem right now is how will I be able to delete the downloaded 5.0 android software. I've downloaded the update but did not install it. My phone right now is stil running on android 4.4.4

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The factory reset will delete the downloaded software. It was the only way I could get rid of it when I was in your shoes.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Why is there a need to do a factory reset when my android version didn't change at all? From what I know factory reset resets your whole phone deletes your entire data and bring you back to the base android software which is 4.4.4.

My problem right now is how will I be able to delete the downloaded 5.0 android software. I've downloaded the update but did not install it. My phone right now is stil running on android 4.4.4

Don't do a factory reset yet. Wait and see if someone else replies and has an answer.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to hear if someone has another solution as I found none. But really, how hard is it? Just reinstall your apps. Google backups everything. I was back up and running in under 30 mins

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to hear if someone has another solution as I found none. But really, how hard is it? Just reinstall your apps. Google backups everything. I was back up and running in under 30 mins

Resetting to factory is fine if there is no other way but people tend to recommend resetting way to much on this site. That should never be the first suggestion for any problem solving.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I remember when I was using a Nexus 4 that downloaded a KitKat update that I wanted to ignore for awhile. There was something in Application manager that I could uncheck the notification box and it no longer prompted me to install the update. I'll try and find out what that was and post it here if I can find it.

It didn't delete the update, it just stopped the phone from prompting me to install it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Recently downloaded android 5.0 lollipop update but after few hours of research I've decided not to install this update. So now how will I be able to delete away that 1gig of downloaded software from my phone ?

Note: I did not install it. I've only downloaded the Update.

Help please. Much appreciated :)
Is there an icon at the top of your screen indicating that there is an upgrade waiting to be installed?

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I remember when I was using a Nexus 4 that downloaded a KitKat update that I wanted to ignore for awhile. There was something in Application manager that I could uncheck the notification box and it no longer prompted me to install the update. I'll try and find out what that was and post it here if I can find it.

It didn't delete the update, it just stopped the phone from prompting me to install it.
I could make the notification go away for the download that way. NOT the install.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad you find that funny while you offer so much helpful advice with your "Lol".

Hahaha

I know that there are "some" posts with Lollipop problems, but I can tell you that the Lollipop update went smooth for me with absolutely no issues whatsoever!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Searched for an answer to this, including XDA Forums (typically the most knowledgable site for in depth Android stuff), and it appears unless you have root access (because the downloaded OS update file is stored in a system protected area), Mom2Ninjas is correct that the only other way to get rid of the file is a master factory reset.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad for you. Lollipop was a nightmare with my s5.

No, not good for just me. Good for everyone else who has downloaded Lollipop and have not had any problems at all. The people with problems with Lollipop are only a small percentage. And many of the ones who have problems are caused by bad apps (not optimized for Lollipop), or by people who refuse to wipe their cache (or as a last resort) do a factory reset.
(Sorry that your S5 had problems.)

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
No, not good for just me. Good for everyone else who has downloaded Lollipop and have not had any problems at all. The people with problems with Lollipop are only a small percentage. And many of the ones who have problems are caused by bad apps (not optimized for Lollipop), or by people who refuse to wipe their cache (or as a last resort) do a factory reset.
(Sorry that your S5 had problems.)
You don't have to take this so personal. I wiped my cache and did a factory reset. More than once trying to fix my problem. Per sprint and samsung, the lollipop bug I had was a known issue. It made it to where my hotspot would not work. It would just immediately turn itself right back off, even after wiping the cache and factory resets and without installing apps. So, you theory does not apply to me.

My comment of being happy for you... was just that. I was happy YOU did not have an issue, that was not me typing to get into a pissing match with you about percentages on issues vs non issues.

So, for your delicate sense of pride... I am glad for all of those that were lucky enough to not have any issues with lollipop.

For those of us not so fortunate, I am glad I was able to avoid the lollipop download on the new phone I had to buy to get away from an update that was a nightmare for me and has been for others.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513