05-13-2015 12:51 AM
31 12
tools
    How bad would it be to purchase the Galaxy Note 4 right now?

Rumors are pointing to a 5.89 inch display which would be too big for me on the Note 5. Plus removable battery and SD card are no guarantees. Only thing keeping me from buying the Note 4 right now is that the headphone jack is still on the top and the fingerprint scanner is not good.

However if I do wait for the Note 5, the price of the Note 4 can drop and if the Note 5 does stay at the same screen size with extra features, I can purchase that instead.

It all boils down to a waiting game I think, what do other people think about this and is anyone else in my position as well?
    05-06-2015 11:47 PM
    The location of the headphone jack is a strange factor to consider. I never heard of anyone concerned with its location on the Note series. The finger print scanner to a lesser extent. In my case it works well and it's practical enough for when I want to use a lock screen away from home. The Note 4 has so many other great practical features to weight up against waiting for the Note 5.

I'm also concerned about the possible absence of two of the most important features the Note series has had that's separated it from other similar devices. Micro SD support and a user-replaceable battery. For me if they neuter the Note 5 and remove both that's it for the Note series. I'll have to move to the LG G4 for my next upgrade and just keep my Note 4 to fulfill my S-Pen desires.

My hope is that Samsung will retain these two massively important features on the Note series as they're what's separated Samsung flagships from the likes of Apple and HTC. Keep the S line for those that prefer style over substance and the Note series for those that prefer substance over style. The "power users" if you will. Once you remove user-replaceable batteries you're essentially putting a shorter expiration date on a device.

It's May and we won't see a Note 5 on sale until at least November so if you're easily able to get a Note 4 I'd say get one and enjoy it now.
    NCzerniak83 likes this.
    05-06-2015 11:59 PM
    I am concerned of the headphone location because pulling the phone out of my pocket seems rather difficult since this is a larger phone. As for the fingerprint scanner, I just want accuracy and videos have said that the scanner is inconsistent. I can imagine the Note 5 definitely getting new additions like a better scanner but then again like you said I am risking the chance that Samsung may remove the SD card and the removable battery function.
    Since I usually get a case on anything I get, I don't really need that glass back re design like the galaxy S6 had but it seems that the Note 5 would go down that path.
    05-07-2015 12:24 AM
    I just got my Frost White Note 4 last week. Bought it outright from Tmobile. I love it and wouldn't trade it. I debated about waiting for Note 5 but I figured the differences would be minor at best and everything I've read about the 4 makes me feel confident that I made the right choice.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-07-2015 12:37 AM
    I bought mine recently, it just depends if you want to upgrade to Note 5 (but in all honesty i can hold this phone for 2 years without any issue it already has 1440p display)

And in terms of hardware won't change much besides the 14nm Exynos chip that the Note 5 will probably have.

I needed a new phone so I couldn't wait till Note 5 in October!
    05-07-2015 04:41 AM
    If you need a phone and like the Note 4 then buy. If the Note 5 was coming in a month or so it would be different, but it's probably not coming until October. If there are features that you must have that are not on the Note 4 then wait and see if the Note 5 will have them. Personally I just picked up a Note 4 two weeks ago. It's a great phone. I will see what the Note 5 offers, but I don't see myself upgrading right away regardless of what it has.

I can honestly recommend the Note 4. The screen is amazing. The S-Pen is better than ever and the feel in the hand is great with the new build. There is still some lag even with Nova Launcher, but it's not as bad as previous Note's. With some adjustments you can pretty much get rid of it.
    05-07-2015 06:34 AM
    As with all things technology, the answer is, "if you can, wait".

If you're good with whatever you are carrying for a few more months until the Note 5 comes out (and whatever other new shinies come out), then you'll have a selection of newer phones *and* the Note 4 will likely drop in price by a good chunk.

If you want a phone now, and can afford one, the Note 4 should serve you very well for a long time. Especially since you can swap the battery out any time the current one starts wearing down.
    05-07-2015 07:21 AM
    For me, I am a sucker for the "latest and greatest", so I would buy the N4 now, and when the N5 is released and meets my needs even better, sell my N4 for the N5.
    05-07-2015 07:33 AM
    For me, I am a sucker for the "latest and greatest", so I would buy the N4 now, and when the N5 is released and meets my needs even better, sell my N4 for the N5.
    You and me both.

Well, since I'm on an odd plan with work where my "Achievement Unlocked: 2 Year Commitment Fulfilled" email comes in before my new phone, the dynamics are a little different for me. I have to resist phone hopping constantly.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    05-07-2015 07:42 AM

Rumors are pointing to a 5.89 inch display which would be too big for me on the Note 5. Plus removable battery and SD card are no guarantees. Only thing keeping me from buying the Note 4 right now is that the headphone jack is still on the top and the fingerprint scanner is not good.

However if I do wait for the Note 5, the price of the Note 4 can drop and if the Note 5 does stay at the same screen size with extra features, I can purchase that instead.

It all boils down to a waiting game I think, what do other people think about this and is anyone else in my position as well?
    I agree. I think it's more well-placed than iPhone jack on the bottom...some people have the strangest concerns. To each his own I guess.
    05-07-2015 09:37 AM
    i dont have any problems with the fingerprint scanner. none at all.
    05-07-2015 03:56 PM
    My fingerprint scanner works 99.9% of the time.

I also have my fingerprint scanned twice and stored so that seems to make it work all of the time.
    05-07-2015 04:25 PM
    Also something to take into consideration is if you wait for the Note 5 and sammy doesn't give you the new features you want or takes away the old features you wanted at least the Note 4 will be much cheaper then...

Posted on my Moto X that is prob being charged as we speak...
    05-07-2015 04:29 PM
    Wait for the Note 7. I hear it's gonna be amazering
    dlgus likes this.
    05-07-2015 06:30 PM
    I have owned the Note 3 and now currently have the Note 4 and couldn't be any happier with the Note series. That being said the Note 5 will be my next device regardless if they get rid of the removable and expandable memory.

If a removable battery and expandable memory are deal breakers for you then I would wait to see what Samsung will do with the Note 5. You could still purchase a Note 4 but at a much cheaper price.

Posted Via AT&T Note 4
    05-07-2015 07:20 PM
    I've had the Note, Note 2, Note 3, and Note 4. I'll also have to get the Note 5 regardless.
    Trees likes this.
    05-07-2015 07:34 PM

Looks like the note will be a bigger version of the S6 and the Edge.

05-07-2015 07:39 PM
    There has been no confirmation they will make the Note 5 like the S6. I really doubt they will.

The Note series is very different than the S5 or S6.
    05-07-2015 07:49 PM
    Life is too short for waiting. Buy Note 4 now and upgrade to Note 5 when it comes out. Remember, we only live once. Screw waiting.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    05-07-2015 08:03 PM
    My fingerprint scanner loses a lot of accuracy maybe every 2-3 months so I reprogram it & it works fine again. Price wise I don't think there will be a large difference between the N4 & 5, maybe $150 or so (keep in mind Samsung can't price the 5 at much of a premium over the Apple 6+). Size wise I don't want a bigger phone so that's a minus if the 5 is bigger. I think most would consider the N4 to be the current state of the art in smartphones so even after the 5 is introduced the 4 will still be one of the most capable available.
    05-07-2015 10:19 PM
    Got my Note 4 a week ago or so and without a doubt best smarp..I've ever owned, iPhone 3 to 5s, galaxy s4 now the note 4... no fricin way would I change this phone. It would have to be something extraordinary to make me change this unit. If note 5 seals the battery an no sd card then their head be it... if you can grab a Note 4 now I would do so, I personally think it's the last of its kind before changes the masses don't want

05-08-2015 01:44 PM
    Hard decision. At this point, I would probably wait, but the Note 4 is a great device. Depends on what you want.

The other problem, to which you allude, of course,is no one really knows that the Note 5 is. Sd cards? Who knows? You might wait and discover the Note 4 is better for your needs. Life's a risk.
    05-08-2015 04:39 PM
    I wouldn't hesitate getting a note 4 now. In fact I just got mine from swappa for $480. After playing with it for a few days, I noticed the camera focus was kinda slow. I called at&t and they issued exchange under factory warranty. So, I got a practically new note 4. Everything is good. Life is good.
    05-08-2015 05:26 PM
    There has been no confirmation they will make the Note 5 like the S6. I really doubt they will.

The Note series is very different than the S5 or S6.
    The Note Series is generally known for productivity so unless battery technology improves ten folds, I don't think the N5 will be without a nonremovable back, imo.
    05-08-2015 10:51 PM
    [whatever you chose, do Not base it off rumors that got started right here on AC by people that just ASSUMED that because the S6 went with no SD and non removable battery that the Note 5 will be exactly the same as S6/Edge with a 5.95" screen.
    Complete BS that people are pulling straight out of their rear ends at this point. Don't fall for it.
    NO ONE here knows anything about the Note 5 . Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.
    Even the 5.95" rumor is just that, PURE rumor.

Note 4 is a great phone. Do you want to wait 5-6 months to upgrade? That is the only question you should ask yourself.
    05-08-2015 11:47 PM
31 12