01-17-2016 11:31 AM
84 1234
tools
    I mentioned this in other threads but I uninstall/disabled FB after the lollipop update because it was sucking data. Almost half of a gig in 4 days.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-08-2015 11:17 PM
    i started noticing that it was updating itself (not through the play store) the a couple weeks ago as well, although it hasn't caused me any problems. i've also seen instagram do this as well. think i'm going to get rid of both of them, not a big fan of things being updated without permission.
    05-08-2015 11:24 PM
    Could it be that I am not seeing this because I am not on the beta?
    No, it is happening to others. It could be because you are on KitKat and there was an issue with Facebook and updates on KitKat and it was patched.
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    05-08-2015 11:27 PM
    I mentioned this in other threads but I uninstall/disabled FB after the lollipop update because it was sucking data. Almost half of a gig in 4 days.

Messenger sucks a lot of data. This is why I sideload version 27, so I can install the app that. Makes FB think you have messenger. Version 27 also isn't using a lot of data.
    05-08-2015 11:28 PM
    Well I have the Beta version available to me in the Play Store and I had auto updates turned off, because I didn't want the update.

I wasn't getting the newest beta version in my update outside of the Play Store, but just the newest public version. When it would update, it would still show I needed an update in the Play Store.

Also the other night when they had to switch out my phone and I was updating via WiFi to Lollipop, I got notice it updated.

I had not logged into this phone with any account, so the Play Store was not available to me. I saw this on my notification screen.

Also notice, that is not a Play Store notification with that big fat Facebook icon.

Also this isn't the first time Facebook has done this, they did it two years ago.
    Yep this is what I got too. Except the notice to update in playstore disappered after it updated. I have automatically update in playstore turned off.
    05-09-2015 05:15 AM
    Yep this is what I got too. Except the notice to update in playstore disappered after it updated. I have automatically update in playstore turned off.
    Well you are getting the highest version available to you.

The public version isn't even available to me in the Play Store. Until I leave beta testing, I can not see the public version when searching for Facebook.

I did find the two "apps" causing the auto update in my turned off updates. If you have these listed in the downloaded part of your App Manager, uninstall updates, force stop them, clear data and then disable them.

They are causing the auto updates.
    Attached Thumbnails Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!-1431180731223.jpg  
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    05-09-2015 10:12 AM
    Recommend adding DT Ignite to that list
    05-09-2015 12:20 PM
    Recommend adding DT Ignite to that list
    I don't have that. Is that a specific carrier app on some phones?
    05-09-2015 12:24 PM
    I was in the Facebook app and suddenly gray bars appeared across the screen, then a white screen and then the phone completely froze.

I shut down the phone, restarted, and went to the Google play store (the phone was no longer frozen). I read horror stories of hacking, etc, in the FB app comments.

So I unchecked auto updates, uninstalled, and disabled the app. Then I bookmarked the actual Facebook site on my phone. Seems to be working well so far.

Just letting you all know my experiences.

Hmm I use Facebook several times daily and haven't had any issues. There was a recent update. Could it be that?

05-09-2015 12:26 PM
    I don't have that. Is that a specific carrier app on some phones?
    DT Ignite may not show up yet for you but it may very well eventually show up in your usage stats. It did on my Note 4 one day and I disabled it.

It's an app intended for carriers to allow ads to show up on your phone and it enables the ability for them to force install garbage apps and games without your approval.

You can disable it in application manager / all.

Like I said, it may not be there yet but it very well could suddenly show up soon.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    05-09-2015 12:29 PM
    DT Ignite may not show up yet for you but it may very well eventually show up in your usage stats. It did on my Note 4 one day and I disabled it.

It's an app intended for carriers to allow ads to show up on your phone and it enables the ability for them to force install garbage apps and games without your approval.

You can disable it in application manager / all.

Like I said, it may not be there yet but it very well could suddenly show up soon.
    Hopefully this is something AT&T won't do..
    05-09-2015 01:09 PM
    Well you are getting the highest version available to you.

The public version isn't even available to me in the Play Store. Until I leave beta testing, I can not see the public version when searching for Facebook.

I did find the two "apps" causing the auto update in my turned off updates. If you have these listed in the downloaded part of your App Manager, uninstall updates, force stop them, clear data and then disable them.

They are causing the auto updates.
    Facebook once again updated OTA on it's own just now. I disabled what you have shown above. Hopefully this stops it.
    05-11-2015 12:33 AM
    Facebook once again updated OTA on it's own just now. I disabled what you have shown above. Hopefully this stops it.
    Oh you found it without a reset? Good deal. Did you also clear the data on those two after you disabled them?

I haven't had a single update since I did that and I was getting several a day most days.

Also if you are interested in the small file that keeps you from having to use messenger (you can't use anything higher than v27 but they haven't changed anything from that, but maybe new stickers) let me know. I'll get you the info on that.

I like using my app for messages and not adding messenger.

Keep me updated. If this works for people that have their phone all set up, this might be a good idea to make a pin type thread for people having this problem. More are having it than realize or are reporting.
    05-11-2015 12:49 AM
    Just curious here; I've only used Facebook on my SGN.IV via Google Incognito Mode. Would the issues experienced here encompass how I've been accessing FB?
    05-11-2015 12:49 AM
    Just curious here; I've only used Facebook on my SGN.IV via Google Incognito Mode. Would the issues experienced here encompass how I've been accessing FB?
    No, this is only the actual Facebook app. The mobile browser version isn't affected.
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    05-11-2015 12:51 AM
    Oh and forgot..it only happens on the app that is pre-installed on the phone. It never happened on my S5.
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    05-11-2015 12:56 AM
    No, this is only the actual Facebook app. The mobile browser version isn't affected.
    Oh and forgot..it only happens on the app that is pre-installed on the phone. It never happened on my S5.
    Looks like my phone's good(?) to go since I've disabled the FB app and have not used it.

Thanks!
    05-11-2015 01:02 AM
    Looks like my phone's good(?) to go since I've disabled the FB app and have not used it.

http://i.imgur.com/zvnkjNvl.png

Thanks!
    Should be as long as you are completely updated. When the Note 4 came out, it was re-enabling a disabled Facebook app and updating it. From what I read, Samsung got this fixed.

Also it will give you a notification when it updates. Not Play Store, but a Facebook one, with a big Facebook logo F. I'm on my laptop, let me get to my phone and post that screenshot.
    05-11-2015 01:14 AM
    Here is what the update notification looks like. This day, I had never logged onto any account or app on my phone. It was 30 mins out of the box. And I was upgrading to Lollipop. No Google account on the phone, can't access the Play Store and we know that comes "update automatically on WiFi" by default. Nothing else updated and when I tried to open Play Store after this, it asked me to log in.
    Attached Thumbnails Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!-1431321381781.jpg  
    05-11-2015 01:18 AM
    Here is what the update notification looks like. This day, I had never logged onto any account or app on my phone. It was 30 mins out of the box. And I was upgrading to Lollipop. No Google account on the phone, can't access the Play Store and we know that comes "update automatically on WiFi" by default. Nothing else updated and when I tried to open Play Store after this, it asked me to log in.
    Okay, I haven't seen that as of yet, hopefully not. Thanks!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-11-2015 01:21 AM
    Facebook also no longer offers a way to delete the app. When you go to the app drawer and hold a finger on the app, there isn't a uninstall option for this app.

There is the option to turn off. Not sure what that does.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-11-2015 01:22 AM
    Okay, I haven't seen that as of yet, hopefully not. Thanks!
    It should only happen if you enable the Facebook app. They did an update for KitKat where it would enable itself and then update, but the Lollipop update kept it disabled, but it still updated.

I still think many don't realize it is updating outside of the app, as long as it updates without making their phone stop. It doesn't play nice with some carriers. I have AT&T and it doesn't freeze my phone, but lets it update.

Due to my 2 years of beta testing Facebook, being in a special group with developers, working very closely with them, I knew this was Facebook and not the Play Store, right away.

If you ever decide to enable the app and use it, follow the directions of my fix here and it won't be a problem for you.
    05-11-2015 01:25 AM
    Facebook also no longer offers a way to delete the app. When you go to the app drawer and hold a finger on the app, there isn't a uninstall option for this app.

There is the option to turn off. Not sure what that does.
    Yeah, that is the problem. Turning it off will disable it like other apps you disable and don't use.

On the Note 4 they installed Facebook and Instagram like bloatware. They didn't do that on the S5.

The pre-installed version on the Note 4, comes with those two files that allow it to update outside of the Play Store, without asking, which is what really, really bothers me.

I can't even side load without telling my phone it is ok to do this. I'm worried some malicious person will figure this out and do it with some cool, free app everyone gets. If any app can download and install on our phones, without asking and bypass "unknown sources" that is a problem. The first time it happened, I thought it was a malicious script pretending to be Facebook.

I've talked about Samsung about this, there is an escalated case, the techs don't understand the worry here, for the most part. They hear "Facebook" and nothing else and don't understand the security issue I'm worried about.
    05-11-2015 01:33 AM
    Would be nice for others to call Samsung and explain how it is outside of the Play Store and bypassing security and means others could do this and mention there is an escalated case about this.

Samsung is one for sure that can make Facebook get this stopped and Samsung can release a patch to make sure this apps can't bypass security and update outside of the Play Store.

The more complaints, the more likely to get it corrected.
    Fat69 likes this.
    05-11-2015 01:37 AM
    All these months of owning a Note 4 and Note Edge, I never realized that FB was preinstalled. Both of my phones are rooted and I found a way that supposedly deletes the app. I may try it. I really have no respect or trust for FB anymore.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-11-2015 01:37 AM
84 1234