01-17-2016 10:31 AM
84 1234
tools
    I did find the two "apps" causing the auto update in my turned off updates. If you have these listed in the downloaded part of your App Manager, uninstall updates, force stop them, clear data and then disable them.

They are causing the auto updates.
    I searched in Application manager but don't see anything with com.facebook.### as you pictured anywhere in DOWNLOADED/SD CARD/RUNNING/ALL/TURNED OFF. Is it possible that FB has not been downloaded/updated on my phone?
    05-11-2015 12:39 AM
    All these months of owning a Note 4 and Note Edge, I never realized that FB was preinstalled. Both of my phones are rooted and I found a way that supposedly deletes the app. I may try it. I really have no respect or trust for FB anymore.
    Oh you are perfect then. Yes, delete the app and then it won't ever be a problem again. You can sideload an apk you want or download the current version and turn off auto updates and it won't update.

IN THEORY IT SHOULD. When you delete the app due to root, it should remove those two files. You can also remove those files with root and then do what you want with the app.

Samsung had two people that denied to me the app was pre-installed, well it is, like bloatware. It is like v16 which is a REALLY old version and best you can do is uninstall updates and disable it.

I sideload v27 and want to stay on 27, Facebook prefers we go anywhere above 27. Above that, you have no choice but to install Messenger.
    05-11-2015 12:42 AM
    It should only happen if you enable the Facebook app. They did an update for KitKat where it would enable itself and then update, but the Lollipop update kept it disabled, but it still updated.

If you ever decide to enable the app and use it, follow the directions of my fix here and it won't be a problem for you.
    Were I to do so, will keep this in mind. Thank you once again. But for now I think I'll leave it disabled and simply access FB via Google if need be.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-11-2015 12:42 AM
    I searched in Application manager but don't see anything with com.facebook.### as you pictured anywhere in DOWNLOADED/SD CARD/RUNNING/ALL/TURNED OFF. Is it possible that FB has not been downloaded/updated on my phone?
    Your screenshot shows it disabled, so you probably did that right away and the data is clear, there are all zeros there. Since it is in your "turned off" it is disabled and it shows not updated, since there is no data showing.
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    05-11-2015 12:44 AM
    Were I to do so, will keep this in mind. Thank you once again. But for now I think I'll leave it disabled and simply access FB via Google if need be.
    If I didn't use Facebook so much, I would do the same. Facebook app can use a lot of resources also.
    05-11-2015 12:45 AM
    Your screenshot shows it disabled, so you probably did that right away and the data is clear, there are all zeros there. Since it is in your "turned off" it is disabled and it shows not updated, since there is no data showing.
    Ah, now that little tid bit is something helpful for me to understand. Again, thank you!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-11-2015 12:46 AM
    My Verizon version definitely had the FB app pre-installed. It does not have the associated com.facebook apps but I disabled the FB app within hours of getting the phone so I suspect these would have been pushed out later if I hadn't. The list of permissions on this app makes my stomach churn. Thanks to the OP for looking out for the rest of us.
    05-11-2015 12:55 AM
    My Verizon version definitely had the FB app pre-installed. It does not have the associated com.facebook apps but I disabled the FB app within hours of getting the phone so I suspect these would have been pushed out later if I hadn't. The list of permissions on this app makes my stomach churn. Thanks to the OP for looking out for the rest of us.
    Yeah..those two files I posted only show up after the first out of Play Store update.
    05-11-2015 12:58 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. The Facebook app has a history of either bad updates or not working well. I have run into numerous threads about it (on various issues) for quite some time.
    I have a fix for this and my way to do it after your phone is set up, seems to have been tested. Maybe a thread can be written up and pinned, this is being noticed, not happening, more and more. I found a way to stop the updates if you do not have root and this should work on any phone that comes with Facebook pre-installed.

The pre-installed app is the only one that is the problem of updating like this and it is updating OUTSIDE of the Play Store, but through the app, which is a violation of their contract with Google. Google probably won't do anything to them, but at least we can now stop it from updating.

I've had some convos with a couple of developers I know, they ignored me until I reminded them it was against their contract with Google and I would report them and not go away. They are supposed to keep me informed. I have informed them the files causing this and how I know it is outside of the Play Store.
    05-11-2015 01:04 AM
    Just heard from Facebook and they are out of their minds. Google gave me a link to complain, they said anyone can share this link anywhere, that the more that report, the better. You need to explain that Facebook is updating outside of the Play Store and will not stop.

https://support.google.com/googlepla...ntact/takedown

You also might want to call Samsung and tell them Facebook suggests not to use Samsung phones if you do not want Facebook to violate security.

Here is the convo with Facebook.
    Attached Thumbnails Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!-1431462641462.jpg   Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!-1431462654838.jpg   Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!-1431462666068.jpg  
    catberryday likes this.
    05-12-2015 03:32 PM
    And I just got off the phone with Samsung. They weren't happy that Facebook said to switch devices. I also went over the security concerns, a manager got on the phone, they have done a ticket and escalated this and ate supposed to get back with me tomorrow.
    mrcil20 likes this.
    05-12-2015 04:27 PM
    I talked with Google on the phone, they want as many as possible to file complaints with that link I included in this thread. You really should call Samsung too, but you sometimes have to stay on them, all their reps aren't always very smart.

With Samsung, concentrate on the security issue of someone being able to bypass security on your phone and download and install without your permission. Try to take the focus off it being Facebook, many of them hear "Facebook" and hear nothing else and tell you that is an app issue. Also let Samsung and Google know it only happens with the pre-installed version.
    05-13-2015 09:43 AM
    Samsung called, ticket is escalated further. You can use my ticket number as a reference when you call in and report it. They said there are good notes on my ticket, so it should make it easier for others to report to Samsung.

If you are contacting a Samsung outside of the US, make sure you tell them it is a Samsung USA ticket number.

Ticket number: 2135760316
    Fat69 likes this.
    05-13-2015 11:32 AM
    Well I have the Beta version available to me in the Play Store and I had auto updates turned off, because I didn't want the update.

I wasn't getting the newest beta version in my update outside of the Play Store, but just the newest public version. When it would update, it would still show I needed an update in the Play Store.

Also the other night when they had to switch out my phone and I was updating via WiFi to Lollipop, I got notice it updated.

I had not logged into this phone with any account, so the Play Store was not available to me. I saw this on my notification screen.

Also notice, that is not a Play Store notification with that big fat Facebook icon.

Also this isn't the first time Facebook has done this, they did it two years ago.
    Would you go with another beta version in the future. Just wanna know how folk feel about trying betas... but I guess someone has to

Posted from my rooted Note 4 and loving it
    05-13-2015 02:38 PM
    Would you go with another beta version in the future. Just wanna know how folk feel about trying betas... but I guess someone has to

I like beta testing, I have done it with SwiftKey also. I did some alpha testing with Facebook, but I really got tired of it. That was just way too buggy for me.

With beta testing you get features before anyone else. I had photo comments on Facebook before anyone did.

The problem with Facebook and beta testing, they aren't listening to users now and are really directing more to advertisers.

I have a feeling that direction is due to Facebook now having a board of directors, as it has shareholders.

Also a small group of us had direct contact with Facebook developers and other Facebook employees, so issues we reported, generally were dealt with quickly and in the beginning they listened to us about features to have.
    05-13-2015 03:06 PM
    The problem with Facebook and beta testing, they aren't listening to users now and are really directing more to advertisers.
    Nail on the head... I advertise my business on FB but they absolutely are not listening or even care about users but know that they will not lose enough users to let this bother them in the slightest

Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-14-2015 03:38 PM
    Nail on the head... I advertise my business on FB but they absolutely are not listening or even care about users but know that they will not lose enough users to let this bother them in the slightest

Well the thing they aren't realizing is advertising money for them is only there because the users are there.

If users would get together and boycott Facebook for about 3 to 6 months, there would be no advertising money given to Facebook. Companies are going to pay to advertise where the users are.
    05-15-2015 07:44 AM
    HI

can you please let me know how can I disable an app as its happening quite often .

Thanks
    06-11-2015 05:47 PM
    I had a problem with FB freezing after the L update on my S5. I noticed that it mostly froze when I'd click on a link....and links to reputable and commonly known sites like ESPN, CNN, WSJ, etc, etc.

I figured it was either L or the S5. Got the Note 4 and had the same problem. I went into FB app settings and changed the links setting so that it would open in Chrome instead of opening within FB. Only been a few days, but so far, so good.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-11-2015 06:24 PM
    I was not having any problems with facebook till the OS updated to lollypop. I hate this OS, facebook is freezing and I get black screens all of the time. Won't back up, sometime the button won't work either. Can I get rid of this version "Lollypop" OS? I was going great before.
    06-11-2015 06:36 PM
    After lollipop my Note 4 often freezes in Face Book. Very irritating

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    08-17-2015 02:01 PM
    I thought it was just my phone I get facebook is not responding with the OK Wait or Report screen. P.O.S
    08-18-2015 09:57 AM
    My FB also has frequent freezes. It's not consistent tho.i have to click on the active apps thingy to the left of the button at the bottom and clear all apps. Then FB will work again. When it freezes I can't get anything to work.
    I read somewhere that people are factory resetting to fix these bugs, but I don't want to.

08-18-2015 12:22 PM
    Dont bother I've reset my phone three times already...
    08-19-2015 12:01 PM
    I just uninstalled FB and added a link to FB from the Web to my homescreen. I'll see how this goes. My whole phone is slow and jerkey at times, and I'm hoping it was FB causing this. We'll see!

08-20-2015 05:18 AM
84 1234