Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And I just got off the phone with Samsung. They weren't happy that Facebook said to switch devices. I also went over the security concerns, a manager got on the phone, they have done a ticket and escalated this and ate supposed to get back with me tomorrow.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I talked with Google on the phone, they want as many as possible to file complaints with that link I included in this thread. You really should call Samsung too, but you sometimes have to stay on them, all their reps aren't always very smart.

With Samsung, concentrate on the security issue of someone being able to bypass security on your phone and download and install without your permission. Try to take the focus off it being Facebook, many of them hear "Facebook" and hear nothing else and tell you that is an app issue. Also let Samsung and Google know it only happens with the pre-installed version.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung called, ticket is escalated further. You can use my ticket number as a reference when you call in and report it. They said there are good notes on my ticket, so it should make it easier for others to report to Samsung.

If you are contacting a Samsung outside of the US, make sure you tell them it is a Samsung USA ticket number.

Ticket number: 2135760316

JaceKG

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I have the Beta version available to me in the Play Store and I had auto updates turned off, because I didn't want the update.

I wasn't getting the newest beta version in my update outside of the Play Store, but just the newest public version. When it would update, it would still show I needed an update in the Play Store.

Also the other night when they had to switch out my phone and I was updating via WiFi to Lollipop, I got notice it updated.

I had not logged into this phone with any account, so the Play Store was not available to me. I saw this on my notification screen.

Also notice, that is not a Play Store notification with that big fat Facebook icon.

Also this isn't the first time Facebook has done this, they did it two years ago.
Would you go with another beta version in the future. Just wanna know how folk feel about trying betas... but I guess someone has to

Posted from my rooted Note 4 and loving it

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Would you go with another beta version in the future. Just wanna know how folk feel about trying betas... but I guess someone has to

I like beta testing, I have done it with SwiftKey also. I did some alpha testing with Facebook, but I really got tired of it. That was just way too buggy for me.

With beta testing you get features before anyone else. I had photo comments on Facebook before anyone did.

The problem with Facebook and beta testing, they aren't listening to users now and are really directing more to advertisers.

I have a feeling that direction is due to Facebook now having a board of directors, as it has shareholders.

Also a small group of us had direct contact with Facebook developers and other Facebook employees, so issues we reported, generally were dealt with quickly and in the beginning they listened to us about features to have.

JaceKG

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The problem with Facebook and beta testing, they aren't listening to users now and are really directing more to advertisers.
Nail on the head... I advertise my business on FB but they absolutely are not listening or even care about users but know that they will not lose enough users to let this bother them in the slightest

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nail on the head... I advertise my business on FB but they absolutely are not listening or even care about users but know that they will not lose enough users to let this bother them in the slightest

Well the thing they aren't realizing is advertising money for them is only there because the users are there.

If users would get together and boycott Facebook for about 3 to 6 months, there would be no advertising money given to Facebook. Companies are going to pay to advertise where the users are.

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I had a problem with FB freezing after the L update on my S5. I noticed that it mostly froze when I'd click on a link....and links to reputable and commonly known sites like ESPN, CNN, WSJ, etc, etc.

I figured it was either L or the S5. Got the Note 4 and had the same problem. I went into FB app settings and changed the links setting so that it would open in Chrome instead of opening within FB. Only been a few days, but so far, so good.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nora Ware

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I was not having any problems with facebook till the OS updated to lollypop. I hate this OS, facebook is freezing and I get black screens all of the time. Won't back up, sometime the button won't work either. Can I get rid of this version "Lollypop" OS? I was going great before.

joan006

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My FB also has frequent freezes. It's not consistent tho.i have to click on the active apps thingy to the left of the button at the bottom and clear all apps. Then FB will work again. When it freezes I can't get anything to work.
I read somewhere that people are factory resetting to fix these bugs, but I don't want to.

joan006

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I just uninstalled FB and added a link to FB from the Web to my homescreen. I'll see how this goes. My whole phone is slow and jerkey at times, and I'm hoping it was FB causing this. We'll see!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My experience has been that every version of FB has caused some type of problem on my Note 4, and before that the Note 3. This latest update of FB isn't any different. I haven't stopped the app because my family and friends contact me a lot using FB or FB Messenger. It's annoying when it happens, but I live with it.

Andrius whatsoever

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm having lots of issues with facebook recently.
Fb app completely crashes the phone, updates by itself, messenger keeps crashing a lot. You are going to be better off using browser for it.
Even app permissions are killing me, they have to know your exact location and stuff. Why on earth app needs an access to microphone if I cant even send text messages without messenger app, don`t have to mention voice calls.

Apart from crashes and stuff they`ve blocked my account that I used for over 5 years for no actual reason. And started asking my ID in order to get it back. When I told that I`m not going to provide my ID to a social media website they got really pissed, told me that my account is going to remain blocked until I provide them with my ID and they are not going to recover any of my information until I do so. Isn't it a blackmail? They just hijacked my account asking for ID as a ransom.

Account wasn`t an actual problem cause I`ve got a backup of all my photos but all information and my clients contacts are just gone now.
Had my companies page linked to my account so they killed access to it as well, good thing is that I set my wife as and admin in there so I can still manage my companies page.

Privacy? there is no privacy on FB, be aware of that and backup all your photos and important info that you have in there.
It can happen to anyone, I didn't see that coming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20