04-11-2016 10:00 AM
36 12
tools
    I don't know about MyFitnessPal, but on our devices if you do nothing to close Facebook and just open another app, Facebook becomes a service-only process. That means it's not really doing anything, just listening for instructions. In this state it uses an insignificant amount of power and essentially no CPU cycles until something wakes it up.

Google Wallet becomes Inactive (cached). In this state it is just parked in memory, doing nothing, using no power and no CPU cycles.

This is absolutely proper behavior. Facebook and Wallet automatically minimize their impact on resources without manually closing them. In fact, they go to the exact same state if you do manually close them with the back key.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    I know this. What I was saying was more of a complaint against the app and the fact that we can't prevent them from becoming active when we aren't using the app.

Wallet is fine for about a week, then something happens. I will have over 1,200 wakelocks after my phone has been on battery for 3 or so hours.

Facebook has been better since upgrading to Lollipop.
    05-11-2015 06:51 AM
    What you were saying was that it's not true what everyone says about how Android handles closing apps for you. But it does. Awww...I'm nitpicking... never mind...

Thing is Wallet is misbehaving. It should stay inactive indefinitely. Try clearing the Wallet cache.
    Settings > Apps > Wallet > Clear cache

05-11-2015 07:43 AM
    Does greenafly really work I had it now uninstaled don't see much if any difference.
    I'm non rooted.

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward
    I'm not rooted do either and it works good for me. I choose a lot of my apps to be able to hibernate. I also use the "experimental features" in the settings?

Did you press the + mark at the top right and add many apps and then after finished with all that, add a shortcut that will hibernate and lock?

You have to turn on Swipe as your lock screen security when setting that up, after that, you can turn it back to fingerprint or something.

The first time you tap your hibernate and lock, shortcut it might ask you something about enabling some animations, click to do so and then I believe it takes you to some security settings, to turn Greenify on.

Once all set up, when I out my phone down, I tap the shortcut and it goes through a "force stop" of all those apps. The shortcut is basically a macro.

I don't choose my weather alert apps on Greenify or my breaking news app, but it seems I might can add the breaking news, push notifications come through a greenified app and I might can add the weather ones, while they poll location, I also have a location set and they get push notifications.
    05-11-2015 08:43 AM
    What you were saying was that it's not true what everyone says about how Android handles closing apps for you. But it does. Awww...I'm nitpicking... never mind...

Thing is Wallet is misbehaving. It should stay inactive indefinitely. Try clearing the Wallet cache.
    Settings > Apps > Wallet > Clear cache

Yeah that does the same as uninstalling and reinstalling it. I am not sure why it starts to go crazy after a few days.

I am pretty sure it searches for nearby stores that you have loyalty cards for. I noticed that as soon as I was close to a store the barcode of the loyalty card popped up in my notification bar. So my guess is that when the google search app starts to see your location is changing it notifies Wallet... but that doesn't explain why I get so many wakelocks while it is sitting on my desk at work.
    05-11-2015 09:58 AM
    Interesting thread(s)/topic(s) on cleaner/booster apks and the like and was doing some reading on such, and in particular the AIO Pro apk, here and elsewhere to see if it was truly needed for my SGN.IV. Here's some of AC's members comments/thoughts found on similar thread about cleaners for Android:

I don't; Android has become very efficient at memory management and at this stage in the game it seems best to let it manage itself - unless there is specifically something wrong.

They're probably windows users who are used to anti-virus apps, system cleaners, and other things to help windows users get through the day without throwing their PC's out the window. They think the same things apply to android.

Yes to break! Yes to Windows bad! Yes to Android is NOT Windows!
    The later comments I find intriguing. Then again, Your Methods May Vary Accordingly so.

Enjoy!
    05-11-2015 10:28 AM
    Is this correct folks. I am using that key almost automatically lately.
    05-21-2015 11:07 AM
    CleanMaster has also been reported to leak your ID. It is really a very useless app in the Android environment. SD Maid I find to be an excellent app to do what it says it will and nothing more. As others have mentioned it does its job and does it well.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    05-21-2015 09:19 PM
    I saw an ad for clean master that says it helps with battery...should I install on my note 4? Is it worth it?
    Battery saver apps use more battery. The Android system looks after itself. I have tried many over the years, don't work, they do nothing.

Posted via the Android Central App
    natehoy and brick58 like this.
    06-05-2015 03:57 PM
    I keep getting told that android handles everything well enough not to need something like this, but I haven't been able to find any other fix for when your phone slows to a crawl and starts heating up from all the apps.
    04-10-2016 01:55 AM
    I keep getting told that android handles everything well enough not to need something like this, but I haven't been able to find any other fix for when your phone slows to a crawl and starts heating up from all the apps.
    While in principle I agree with everyone who says these apps are not needed I've installed "all-in-one" toolbox and use only the pieces I need to get the job done. It's bulky but does what it says.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-10-2016 03:00 AM
    Memory management and CPU management overlap but are different issues.

Android is more permissive than Windows Mobile and iOS about apps running in the background. This is tremendously handy when you have an app that you want running in the background and the app is well-written (Navigation, traffic alerts, email) or you know it's going to suck CPU but you don't care because you want to anyway (Sensorly).

It's a major pain in the shorts with some apps that don't grok the concept of playing nice with others. Games like "Plants vs. Zombies", "Farmville", "Township", and others keep running and drawing heavy CPU loads to build that seedling or grow hair on that sheep or whatever so it can notify you when it's done. It's how they maximize game profit - notifications draw you back in, drawing you back in keeps you playing, keeping you playing increases the chance of your buying that sweet, sweet in-app loot. Ad networks can be even worse.

It's not just games. Some corporate security solutions can be pretty ridiculous. I use MobileIron and it's gotten a lot better, but it used to show up prominently in my "battery usage" meter because it did a LOT in the background.

If you have a bunch of apps that run in the background and want to keep them, you'll probably need some sort of task manager to keep those apps behaving reasonably. It's an imperfect solution because the cleaner apps take their own overhead, and the apps with poor management will eventually notice they aren't running and try to start up again, but there is no perfect solution to an abusive app.
    04-11-2016 10:00 AM
36 12