How do I do screencasting on my Note 4 running Lollipop?

Ron Fleming

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Screencasting on Note 4 running Lollipop

I have a Galaxy Note 4 running Lollipop. I also have a Samsung Smart TV which does NOT have access to an internet-connected Wi-Fi network. I am looking for a way to play netflix on my phone and cast the screen to my TV.

I *do* have a wireless router I can throw up, but no internet connection for it to attach to.

My understanding is that Google has dropped Miracast support in Lollipop in favor of Chromecast, but that Chromecast still requires a live, continuous internet connection via Wi-Fi to operate in any capacity whatsoever.

So do I have any options for casting, short of running a 25' HDMI cable across my floor?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screencasting on Note 4 running Lollipop

Can you not use your phone as a Hotspot and connect your TV to that wireless connection?

I never do what you are talking about, though I have connected to a Smart TV before with my phone, but it had Internet.

What about the screen mirroring option? I've not looked at it, but does it show what you have on your phone to your TV?

Have you tried the WiFi direct? I've not used it either, so don't know anything about it. Just trying to throw some things out there.

It seems like Samsung has some apps in either the Samsung Store and/or Play Store to connect phones to TV's and other media devices and them not both have to be on an active WiFi connection.

Pdarnall

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Samsung TV and can't do sh!t with it... Samsung "SmartHub" ain't all that "smart." The wireless direct connection has allowed some limited access to movies and pictures stored (must be stored on phone - no streaming) on my Note 4. AFAIK Google doesn't allow me to cast purchased movies to my TV.
Now here's the kicker. My friend was visiting this past weekend and his iPhone 6+ and Apple TV (via CAT 5) all worked fantastic. We watched movies from the Apple TV and mirrored his iPhone screen to the Samsung 40" without a hitch.
My friend is a hardcore server farm Admin and knows his stuff to the max. He said: "I gave up on Android because this Apple stuff just works. I don't want to mess around with it on my day off." I felt really stupid with my Note 4.....trying to make it "work."
Flame away, but damn...... Just saying.
Note 4

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast needs an internet connection to download updates initially, but it should run through a router without any internet connection after it's downloaded everything it needs. (You can bring it anywhere there's a wifi internet connection and an AC power outlet for the download.)

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Samsung TV and can't do sh!t with it... Samsung "SmartHub" ain't all that "smart." The wireless direct connection has allowed some limited access to movies and pictures stored (must be stored on phone - no streaming) on my Note 4. AFAIK Google doesn't allow me to cast purchased movies to my TV.
Now here's the kicker. My friend was visiting this past weekend and his iPhone 6+ and Apple TV (via CAT 5) all worked fantastic. We watched movies from the Apple TV and mirrored his iPhone screen to the Samsung 40" without a hitch.
My friend is a hardcore server farm Admin and knows his stuff to the max. He said: "I gave up on Android because this Apple stuff just works. I don't want to mess around with it on my day off." I felt really stupid with my Note 4.....trying to make it "work."
Flame away, but damn...... Just saying.
Note 4

What exactly is it that you are trying to watch/stream on your TV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton