Notifications ringtone question?

Douglas Yarnold

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I want to set up a ringtone "specifically" for incoming Messages. I configured a ringtone for "Notifications" but not only does it sound off for Messages, but for ALL notifications. How do I configure the sound file ONLY for incoming messages?
I want to configure sounds for each type of notification.
:-\

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I want to set up a ringtone "specifically" for incoming Messages. I configured a ringtone for "Notifications" but not only does it sound off for Messages, but for ALL notifications. How do I configure the sound file ONLY for incoming messages?
:-\

For text messages? Go to the settings in the texting app.

I make the ringtone for notifications, silent myself and then set the sound I want for each thing.. Voice-mail, text, Gmail, calendar, etc.

Douglas Yarnold

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you can help me. I configured a sound file for Notifications, and assigned that sound only for Messages. Ive gone into other programs that release a sound file, Gmail, Email, etc and assigned a different sound for each of them. However, my Messages sound file occasionally comes up, and I don't even know what program is being initiated. Never had this problem before, and I'm stumped. Its not the worse thing in the world, but it IS very annoying.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can help me. I configured a sound file for Notifications, and assigned that sound only for Messages. Ive gone into other programs that release a sound file, Gmail, Email, etc and assigned a different sound for each of them. However, my Messages sound file occasionally comes up, and I don't even know what program is being initiated. Never had this problem before, and I'm stumped. Its not the worse thing in the world, but it IS very annoying.

Is "Notifications" set to silent under sound?

Now let me make sure I'm understanding..

You have one sound for messages, assigned in the messages settings and you assigned different sounds for Gmail and other things, through their app settings. Sometimes, these other apps play the wrong Notification sound and play the one you have set for messages.

Is that correct?

Douglas Yarnold

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
OK, I think I have it configured the way you suggested. Notifications under Note 4 settings is now set to silent. Messages program is configured to use my Messages sound file that had previously been assigned to Notifications. Email and Gmail now have been assigned another sound file while IN those programs.
Is this what you recommended?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is how I do all my phones.

Now if you download an app or have another that uses a notification, you will need to set that in the settings for that app.