Best Way to Buy Without Carrier Bloat

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using an S3 on T-Mobile prepaid and want to upgrade at some point after all of the devices for this year are out. What's the best way to buy a Note 4 or a potential Note 5 without carrier bloat, yet still be able to take advantage of their 4G service?

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using an S3 on T-Mobile prepaid and want to upgrade at some point after all of the devices for this year are out. What's the best way to buy a Note 4 or a potential Note 5 without carrier bloat, yet still be able to take advantage of their 4G service?

Posted via the Android Central App

Don't know of any way to do all that.

BUT.. the T-mobile version of the N4 can be rooted and the bloatware be uninstalled.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If you like T-Mobile's coverage and service, recommend staying with them to pick up a Note 4 or 5. What Kelly mentions about root option is an advantage for sure if root is important to you.

I'm on Verizon and no root that I'm aware of, but have found that many of the carrier preloaded apps can be disabled. Not the same as freezing with Titanium (or satisfying), but overall accomplishes the same purpose. Verizon service and coverage have been great for us, but at a higher cost.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you like T-Mobile's coverage and service, recommend staying with them to pick up a Note 4 or 5. What Kelly mentions about root option is an advantage for sure if root is important to you.

I'm on Verizon and no root that I'm aware of, but have found that many of the carrier preloaded apps can be disabled. Not the same as freezing with Titanium (or satisfying), but overall accomplishes the same purpose. Verizon service and coverage have been great for us, but at a higher cost.

I have seen a lot of people buying an unlocked T-Mobile variant and using it on AT&T, just so they can root.

That disabling now is sneaky or we can just see more. I see disabled apps in my "cached" apps and also using background data in my battery info.

I don't know if that has always been the case and we just couldn't see it or if this is new. There is also the issue that Samsung went crazy with the amount of bloat with Lollipop, then AT&T, who always has a lot, just went nuts.

I'm getting so tired of this bloatware, that it might be the thing that eventually pushes me to a pure Android device. I'm a Samsung user for YEARS, but I'm getting sick and tired of the ever increasing bloatware.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have seen a lot of people buying an unlocked T-Mobile variant and using it on AT&T, just so they can root.

That disabling now is sneaky or we can just see more. I see disabled apps in my "cached" apps and also using background data in my battery info.

I don't know if that has always been the case and we just couldn't see it or if this is new. There is also the issue that Samsung went crazy with the amount of bloat with Lollipop, then AT&T, who always has a lot, just went nuts.

I'm getting so tired of this bloatware, that it might be the thing that eventually pushes me to a pure Android device. I'm a Samsung user for YEARS, but I'm getting sick and tired of the ever increasing bloatware.

I bought my Note 4 through T-Mobile outright. They unlocked it almost immediately and I tried it on AT&T. I just can't get a good signal here in Denver Colorado with them so it sucks the battery life seriously fast. The only problem with buying through a carrier is that the phone will always be branded with that carriers name on the boot up screen.

I have my Note 4 rooted so that I can run Adaway to block ads in apps and the web.

The bad thing about having a Nexus device (I have a Nexus 7 and Nexus 4) is that you often become guinea pigs. Sure you get all the versions of the latest OS but often times they don't play well with the device and then the bugs are worked out on the next version.

I remember one update, the dialer was left unfinished and it was just ugly to use and they released a fix within a week or two. I couldn't use my Nexus 7 on 5.01 or so till they released 5.1. It was just too painful to wait for it to do anything due to the lag.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I picked up my T-Mobile variant back in early December with the sole purpose of using it on AT&T in order to get root and the ability to debloat. I am very satisfied with coverage in my area so it works well for me. I'm currently running a custom ROM and loving it, no desire to upgrade to lollipop at this time.

When this device gets old for me I'll certainly look specifically for another rootable device to replace it. It will most like not be a Nexus, I already own a nexus 4 and hate the direction the newer nexus phones have gone (especially the light colored lollipop material designed themes).

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Note 4 through T-Mobile outright. They unlocked it almost immediately and I tried it on AT&T. I just can't get a good signal here in Denver Colorado with them so it sucks the battery life seriously fast. The only problem with buying through a carrier is that the phone will always be branded with that carriers name on the boot up screen.

I have my Note 4 rooted so that I can run Adaway to block ads in apps and the web.

The bad thing about having a Nexus device (I have a Nexus 7 and Nexus 4) is that you often become guinea pigs. Sure you get all the versions of the latest OS but often times they don't play well with the device and then the bugs are worked out on the next version.

I remember one update, the dialer was left unfinished and it was just ugly to use and they released a fix within a week or two. I couldn't use my Nexus 7 on 5.01 or so till they released 5.1. It was just too painful to wait for it to do anything due to the lag.

It does depend on your coverage for AT&T or whichever other carrier you want to use, in your area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer