Used to love the Note 4, until problems with Google Maps

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
so what's the name of the title thread implies, I used to really like my note 4. I really had no problem using it and I enjoyed being on my phone and looking at videos and whatnot, but recently I've been having lots of problems with Google Maps. Google Maps freaking sucks. It is horrible, terrible and I've done everything I can possibly do, everything from wiping the phone to clearing the cache, nothing works with Google Maps. It is always wrong. In fact, that is the only thing its good at is the fact that it is consistently wrong. I moved 3 months ago to be in a new city and it has consistently got me lost every single time.

I hate the fact that i paid 700+ dollars for a phone where the GPS doesnt work. Im really considering switching to something else. Have any of you guys had this problem?

Mannikon

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: Used to love the Note 4, until THIS

You're having a problem with Google Maps. Try checking to see if your GPS works (try GPS Test from Play Store). If it does, then use an alternative to Google Maps (plenty of free and paid map apps) if you can't sort the Google Maps issue.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site

so what's the name of the title thread implies, I used to really like my note 4. I really had no problem using it and I enjoyed being on my phone and looking at videos and whatnot, but recently I've been having lots of problems with Google Maps. Google Maps freaking sucks. It is horrible, terrible and I've done everything I can possibly do, everything from wiping the phone to clearing the cache, nothing works with Google Maps. It is always wrong. In fact, that is the only thing its good at is the fact that it is consistently wrong. I moved 3 months ago to be in a new city and it has consistently got me lost every single time.

I hate the fact that i paid 700+ dollars for a phone where the GPS doesnt work. Im really considering switching to something else. Have any of you guys had this problem?

My google map works fine.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Dont blame google maps if your phones GPS is not working properly.
Google maps gets its info from the GPS on your phone, so bad info to them means its working just as it should..

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

You have two variables to check. The GPS radio in your phone and Google Maps. As mentioned above there is an App to test your GPS. Also check that you have the latest version of Google Maps and then check the various forums to see if others are having issues with Google Maps. Since the hack that had Android doll peeing on a specific set of co-ordinates there have been issues reported with Google Maps. Hence a number of updates in the past couple of weeks.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

There are numerous complaints on the Play Store reviews of Google Maps about the latest updates not being accurate.

I always read the reviews of an update before I download/install it & many Google apps get bad reviews on the updates. Apparently Google does a lousy job a lot of the time updating their numerous apps. Kinda like the lousy job they did in designing Lollipoop.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

No problems at all with Google Maps also. I use it on a daily basis and it is always extremely accurate.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

I've never had a problem with Google Maps. I'd try a different GPS app to see if that is also pointing you in the wrong direction. If that isn't working, I'd guess there was something wrong with your phone GPS.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

There are numerous complaints on the Play Store reviews of Google Maps about the latest updates not being accurate.

I always read the reviews of an update before I download/install it & many Google apps get bad reviews on the updates. Apparently Google does a lousy job a lot of the time updating their numerous apps. Kinda like the lousy job they did in designing Lollipoop.

Have you had other problems with updated apps? What don't you like about the design of L?

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

I geocache with my Note 4 all the time. I installed GPS Status for better GPS accuracy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

Google maps is always lacking to me. I prefer waze.

Posted via the Android Central App

ehstaley

May 8, 2011
Visit site

While I don't have a problem currently with Google Maps, I also use Here as an alternative. I like the fact that I can download maps by individual state and use the app offline to save on data or in the event I am in an area where service is not as good. The driving (non-navigation) screen is also nice if you are just cruising around an unfamiliar area. Good luck!

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Pretty sure your phone is still under warranty. If it's not a settings problem or an app problem, you should be able to send it to Samsung for repair or replacement.

Sadly, when things are produced in mass quantities like phones, cars, computers, etc, there's going to be the occasional lemon. It's the reason warranties exist in the first place.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

If in a city with tall buildings or much tree cover, then the GPS signals can be obscured or weakened. Another factor to consider along with what mariusfilip mentioned.

mo0o0

May 13, 2015
Visit site

I had problems with the app crashing all the time. Almost missed my flight trying to find the park'n'fly and almost got a speeding ticket cuz i had to double back. Once i got back from vacation, i updated the app and it's been working fine since.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

If you have a case on your phone try taking it off and see if you still have issues. I read in another thread folks realized there was a metal band in the case and it was interfering with the GPS and as soon as they took the case off, restarted the phone all was good.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I always do the latest updates on apps I use a lot, until Google Maps was completely wrong a few months ago. I uninstalled the latest update and very happy with it now, and will not update to latest version. It sounds like it is the App; Google Maps you "hate" or like others said, could be a problem with the actual GPS, Not the Note 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12