so what's the name of the title thread implies, I used to really like my note 4. I really had no problem using it and I enjoyed being on my phone and looking at videos and whatnot, but recently I've been having lots of problems with Google Maps. Google Maps freaking sucks. It is horrible, terrible and I've done everything I can possibly do, everything from wiping the phone to clearing the cache, nothing works with Google Maps. It is always wrong. In fact, that is the only thing its good at is the fact that it is consistently wrong. I moved 3 months ago to be in a new city and it has consistently got me lost every single time.

I hate the fact that i paid 700+ dollars for a phone where the GPS doesnt work. Im really considering switching to something else. Have any of you guys had this problem?
    05-16-2015 03:33 PM
    You're having a problem with Google Maps. Try checking to see if your GPS works (try GPS Test from Play Store). If it does, then use an alternative to Google Maps (plenty of free and paid map apps) if you can't sort the Google Maps issue.
    05-16-2015 03:43 PM
    so what's the name of the title thread implies, I used to really like my note 4. I really had no problem using it and I enjoyed being on my phone and looking at videos and whatnot, but recently I've been having lots of problems with Google Maps. Google Maps freaking sucks. It is horrible, terrible and I've done everything I can possibly do, everything from wiping the phone to clearing the cache, nothing works with Google Maps. It is always wrong. In fact, that is the only thing its good at is the fact that it is consistently wrong. I moved 3 months ago to be in a new city and it has consistently got me lost every single time.

I hate the fact that i paid 700+ dollars for a phone where the GPS doesnt work. Im really considering switching to something else. Have any of you guys had this problem?
    My google map works fine.
    monsieurms likes this.
    05-16-2015 03:47 PM
    I shall try that, thanks. I didnt know there was a test for the gps
    05-16-2015 03:47 PM
    Dont blame google maps if your phones GPS is not working properly.
    Google maps gets its info from the GPS on your phone, so bad info to them means its working just as it should..
    05-16-2015 04:31 PM
    You have two variables to check. The GPS radio in your phone and Google Maps. As mentioned above there is an App to test your GPS. Also check that you have the latest version of Google Maps and then check the various forums to see if others are having issues with Google Maps. Since the hack that had Android doll peeing on a specific set of co-ordinates there have been issues reported with Google Maps. Hence a number of updates in the past couple of weeks.
    geekaren likes this.
    05-16-2015 07:46 PM
    There are numerous complaints on the Play Store reviews of Google Maps about the latest updates not being accurate.

I always read the reviews of an update before I download/install it & many Google apps get bad reviews on the updates. Apparently Google does a lousy job a lot of the time updating their numerous apps. Kinda like the lousy job they did in designing Lollipoop.
    05-16-2015 09:09 PM
    No problems at all with Google Maps also. I use it on a daily basis and it is always extremely accurate.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4
    05-17-2015 01:36 AM
    I've never had a problem with Google Maps. I'd try a different GPS app to see if that is also pointing you in the wrong direction. If that isn't working, I'd guess there was something wrong with your phone GPS.
    05-17-2015 08:44 PM
    There are numerous complaints on the Play Store reviews of Google Maps about the latest updates not being accurate.

I always read the reviews of an update before I download/install it & many Google apps get bad reviews on the updates. Apparently Google does a lousy job a lot of the time updating their numerous apps. Kinda like the lousy job they did in designing Lollipoop.
    Have you had other problems with updated apps? What don't you like about the design of L?
    05-17-2015 08:46 PM
    i know this may sound foolish, but is the 'location services' set on 'high accuracy'?
    05-17-2015 09:15 PM
    I geocache with my Note 4 all the time. I installed GPS Status for better GPS accuracy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Rukbat likes this.
    05-17-2015 10:24 PM
    Google maps is always lacking to me. I prefer waze.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-18-2015 01:24 AM
    While I don't have a problem currently with Google Maps, I also use Here as an alternative. I like the fact that I can download maps by individual state and use the app offline to save on data or in the event I am in an area where service is not as good. The driving (non-navigation) screen is also nice if you are just cruising around an unfamiliar area. Good luck!
    05-18-2015 09:37 AM
    Google maps work perfectly fine on my Nexus 5.
    05-18-2015 10:02 AM
    Pretty sure your phone is still under warranty. If it's not a settings problem or an app problem, you should be able to send it to Samsung for repair or replacement.

Sadly, when things are produced in mass quantities like phones, cars, computers, etc, there's going to be the occasional lemon. It's the reason warranties exist in the first place.

05-18-2015 11:04 AM
    If in a city with tall buildings or much tree cover, then the GPS signals can be obscured or weakened. Another factor to consider along with what mariusfilip mentioned.
    05-18-2015 10:25 PM
    I had problems with the app crashing all the time. Almost missed my flight trying to find the park'n'fly and almost got a speeding ticket cuz i had to double back. Once i got back from vacation, i updated the app and it's been working fine since.
    05-19-2015 01:38 PM
    If you have a case on your phone try taking it off and see if you still have issues. I read in another thread folks realized there was a metal band in the case and it was interfering with the GPS and as soon as they took the case off, restarted the phone all was good.
    05-19-2015 02:14 PM
    I always do the latest updates on apps I use a lot, until Google Maps was completely wrong a few months ago. I uninstalled the latest update and very happy with it now, and will not update to latest version. It sounds like it is the App; Google Maps you "hate" or like others said, could be a problem with the actual GPS, Not the Note 4.
    05-19-2015 02:23 PM
    Sometimes when Google Maps is not working Mapquest works for me.
    monsieurms likes this.
    05-19-2015 03:57 PM
    I've generally had no problems. Took a long trip out of town in April, Gmaps got me everywhere, and flawlessly.

Took another long trip a couple of weeks ago and it was more problematic. The first problem was that in a lot of remote areas, I just couldn't get a phone signal and my 4g line was constantly saying "E" instead. I'll blame T-Mobile for that. But I did think GPS was separate from a phone signal. I suppose g-maps needs a data connection to give the turn-by-turn directions?? Again, T-Mobile's fault.

More troubling--even though it only happened twice--were these experiences. I finally got to within a block or so of my hotel after a 5 hour drive and Gmaps is saying "You have arrived (yay!) and your destination is on your right." Hmmm. Except it wasn't. I finally pulled into a parking lot and called the hotel. Turned out I had arrived--but the destination was on my LEFT, not my right.

More seriously, at another intersection, I am coming down the road, it says "Turn Left and go South on Route xyz." Only problem: a left turn is marked by the highway signage as NORTH, not South. South is a right turn. I decided to follow the turn direction and went left as instructed, which was correct (but it was North). I will say that those were extremely unusual events--but when you're hundreds of miles from home and have no idea where you are going it was not comforting.
    05-22-2015 10:21 AM
    Google maps is always lacking to me. I prefer waze.

Waze is Google Maps and is owned by Google.
    05-22-2015 10:43 AM
    I think if everyone disowned a phone because of one features they didn't like, no one would have a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    monsieurms likes this.
    05-22-2015 10:49 AM
    Another app to consider (not that it makes the maps or the GPS receiver any more accurate) is MyDirections. It actually makes Maps a usable app. (It's free, so try it. You can change it to default to car and to navigate in its settings.)

As for Maps itself, there's usually one error every so often as a copyright device. If you sell a map with that error, it's proof you violated their copyright. (It's usually something small, like a dead end street ending 100 feet further on the map than it does in reality. Garmin has some really bad "errors" - it once kept trying to take me around a parking lot - when I was going about 50 miles from that parking lot.) But I've never found Maps to be less accurate than my Garmin or Magellan GPS units, although every GPS, Garmin, Magellan, TomTom and Maps, will route you differently in some cases. The difference isn't much, but when there are 5 ways of getting there 9in the same amount of time, the unit just picks one based on whatever that manufacturer decided to do the picking on. On most of my trips, Maps has me turning left to get out of the development, but I prefer the route when I turn right, and it recalibrates within about a mile. (There's still a turn I could make about a mile down that would get me back to the route it wants. After that it routes the way I prefer. My gripe is that there's no GPS software that learns my route and uses it in the future.)

I've found Maps not getting me exactly to the spot - it'll tell me I've arrived when I'm not there yet, or it'll tell me my destination is coming up when I've already parked there - but that's within a bad GPS reading possibility. 10 meters is the accuracy with an undisturbed atmosphere and no multipath signals. (It's about best case, and telling you that you've arrived when you still have 30 feet to go is normal.) But a perfectly working GPS can be off 300 meters or more if the atmosphere is disturbed (thermals all over, or a storm), or if you're in a metropolitan canyon (like midtown Manhattan, where signals bounce 500 times before they die) or a dense forest. And that's not the GPS, that's just how the physics of the system works.
    05-26-2015 12:50 AM